Moderator warnings and messages

For those who are foolish enough to think they can just "walk away" from USMB

womens-hand-chained-to-keyboard-picture-id140217744

I've noticed that I've been notified of posts of mine edited or deleted, and all I get is an anonymous message from "a moderator." No name is given, so if I have a problem or a question there is nobody I can address with my problem. You guys need to fix that shit or at least send your own message along with your notification so that we can know WHICH mod is warning us. That is only fair after all. If I have a question, I want to know who to address.

flacaltenn

This could go on your permanent record

Oooh.....And what if it did/does? I mean, really. We're talking about an infraction of Internet discussion forum's rules/conventions, not the law or one's HR file. LOL

Just what be the material consequences of being banned from a web forum? One starts one's own or becomes blogger/vlogger?

I suspect the people who do the banning may take such things somewhat seriously. Forum members have little to no reason to do so or be concerned about being banned from an Internet forum, most especially not one having fewer than millions of members and no obviously "significant" members. Is George Will posting here? Is Noam Chomsky? Are other influential thinkers among the membership and known widely to be so?

I wouldn't mock the power of USMB moderators....

Those infractions go on your permanent record. "No big deal" you say?
You think employers don't check your USMB status? Go before a judge and it is one of the first things he will mention. It will show up on your obituary

Have you ever questioned what happens to those who are banned? You think they just stop posting? They are not banned as much as banished. The Internet Police show up at their door in the middle of the night and nobody hears from them again.
If they are lucky, they are taken to a FEMA death camp where they "get their mind right"
If they manage to get released, they are like Jack Nicholson in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"
You think employers don't check your USMB status?

tumblr_natpbzJozw1tc258so3_r2_1280.png

I'm absolutely certain none will! I am as certain of that as I am that the Pope is Catholic.

Insofar as there's only one person on the planet who knows me (even my kids don't know that I post here) and is aware that I post here, I know nobody who'll ever matter to me will know what I write here. Insofar as I'm a partially-retired managing partner in my firm, I'm sure no employer of mine is looking because I'm the employer, not the employed. Insofar as the only future "jobs" I might hold are ones I'm invited to and/or choose to take, even if someone did look, it wouldn't matter to me or them. Insofar as I have no intention of working, other than perhaps as a volunteer, once I hit 60, I don't care anyway; thus if someone doesn't want me to volunteer my services on account of what I write here, fine.

You haven't been on this board as long as I have
Some freaky shit going on

You may think it is just innocent banter...but those moderators have ties to the Internet Police. I have seen people just disappear overnight. One day they are posting about Obama being a Muslim, next day....poof

You may think you are anonymous....But they know where you live

Trust me, these moderators can do horrors you can't imagine

Okay....Well, you live your life thinking that is so. I'm going to do differently.

I'm certain I won't come close to being here that long. I'd be surprised to find myself posting here by this time next year, hell, lasting until November would be surprising even.

You do realize he is just pulling your leg? :)

To be honest, I couldn't tell. It seemed so, but I wasn't sure, and on USMB, I have seen more than my fair share of people saying things that I think/know are "bat sh*t crazy," yet they're being completely serious.

Oooh.....And what if it did/does? I mean, really. We're talking about an infraction of Internet discussion forum's rules/conventions, not the law or one's HR file. LOL

Just what be the material consequences of being banned from a web forum? One starts one's own or becomes blogger/vlogger?

I suspect the people who do the banning may take such things somewhat seriously. Forum members have little to no reason to do so or be concerned about being banned from an Internet forum, most especially not one having fewer than millions of members and no obviously "significant" members. Is George Will posting here? Is Noam Chomsky? Are other influential thinkers among the membership and known widely to be so?

You think employers don't check your USMB status? Go before a judge and it is one of the first things he will mention. It will show up on your obituary

Have you ever questioned what happens to those who are banned? You think they just stop posting? They are not banned as much as banished. The Internet Police show up at their door in the middle of the night and nobody hears from them again.
If they are lucky, they are taken to a FEMA death camp where they "get their mind right"
If they manage to get released, they are like Jack Nicholson in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"

I'm absolutely certain none will! I am as certain of that as I am that the Pope is Catholic.

Insofar as there's only one person on the planet who knows me (even my kids don't know that I post here) and is aware that I post here, I know nobody who'll ever matter to me will know what I write here. Insofar as I'm a partially-retired managing partner in my firm, I'm sure no employer of mine is looking because I'm the employer, not the employed. Insofar as the only future "jobs" I might hold are ones I'm invited to and/or choose to take, even if someone did look, it wouldn't matter to me or them. Insofar as I have no intention of working, other than perhaps as a volunteer, once I hit 60, I don't care anyway; thus if someone doesn't want me to volunteer my services on account of what I write here, fine.

You may think it is just innocent banter...but those moderators have ties to the Internet Police. I have seen people just disappear overnight. One day they are posting about Obama being a Muslim, next day....poof

Okay....Well, you live your life thinking that is so. I'm going to do differently.

I'm certain I won't come close to being here that long. I'd be surprised to find myself posting here by this time next year, hell, lasting until November would be surprising even.

To be honest, I couldn't tell. It seemed so, but I wasn't sure, and on USMB, I have seen more than my fair share of people saying things that I think/know are "bat sh*t crazy," yet they're being completely serious.

I hear you! :lol:

There are WAY too many crazies in the world. Lol. Is modern medicine a miracle or a curse? I don't know. :D

I've noticed that I've been notified of posts of mine edited or deleted, and all I get is an anonymous message from "a moderator." No name is given, so if I have a problem or a question there is nobody I can address with my problem. You guys need to fix that shit or at least send your own message along with your notification so that we can know WHICH mod is warning us. That is only fair after all. If I have a question, I want to know who to address.

flacaltenn

No name is given, so if I have a problem or a question there is nobody I can address with my problem.

I've run into the editing aspect of that a couple times. Both times, I PM'd a moderator and asked about it. The moderator whom I PM'd wasn't the one who performed the edit/abridgment; however, they had some way of identifying the moderator who did. IIRC, the moderator whom I PM'd invited the other one to the conversation and the matter got resolved to my satisfaction. To be sure, ChrisL L, the solution approach I pursued is clumsily inefficient, and the one you propose is markedly better.

OT:
Some thoughts/suggestions:
If you want to expose yourself and your posts to the minimum level of scrutiny, post in the Flame Zone, Rubber Room or Badlands. Alternatively, you can take the approach I do, which is to simply not dignify really abusive or inane remarks (and members whom you construe as thus) with a response. The only reason I responded to the linked posts above is because somewhere in my mind the member has earned some modicum of respect. There are plenty who either never earned an or who did and lost it; to them, I have nothing to say. They are, AFAIC, not dead, but rather simply do not any longer not exist and are now by me construed as though they never did.

I don't care what you think or say of me. I don't think of you at all.
-- Coco Chanel​

USMB moderators are quite liberal in their sufferance of spurious, specious, sophistic, controversial, off-topic, and ignoble remarks, and the fact is that insofar as USMB is a privately owned site, they don't have to be. In return for that, however, it's incumbent on members posting here to have something of substance, something that "holds water" and isn't just an empty insult or platitude, to say when posting. After all, if all one can or will do is "fart out" a string of nonsense, what's the point of posting?

Sure, but sometimes . . . you just have to say (or post) what's on your mind. Some people need to be called out for what they are!
Sure, but sometimes . . . you just have to say (or post) what's on your mind.

I think we should probably agree to disagree on that, and just call it a matter of nothing gained or lost.

I'm part of the "keep a stiff upper lip," "exercise restraint in the face of adversity," and "among my most prized possessions are words that I have never spoken" crowd that speaks its mind without "stooping" to the level of the folks who inspire us to churlish/loutish thoughts.

Oh how can we, scarce mastering our passions, expect that youth should keep itself in check?
-- Friedrich Schiller, William Tell

flacaltenn

No name is given, so if I have a problem or a question there is nobody I can address with my problem.

I've run into the editing aspect of that a couple times. Both times, I PM'd a moderator and asked about it. The moderator whom I PM'd wasn't the one who performed the edit/abridgment; however, they had some way of identifying the moderator who did. IIRC, the moderator whom I PM'd invited the other one to the conversation and the matter got resolved to my satisfaction. To be sure, ChrisL L, the solution approach I pursued is clumsily inefficient, and the one you propose is markedly better.

OT:
If you want to expose yourself and your posts to the minimum level of scrutiny, post in the Flame Zone, Rubber Room or Badlands. Alternatively, you can take the approach I do, which is to simply not dignify really abusive or inane remarks (and members whom you construe as thus) with a response. The only reason I responded to the linked posts above is because somewhere in my mind the member has earned some modicum of respect. There are plenty who either never earned an or who did and lost it; to them, I have nothing to say. They are, AFAIC, not dead, but rather simply do not any longer not exist and are now by me construed as though they never did.

-- Coco Chanel​

USMB moderators are quite liberal in their sufferance of spurious, specious, sophistic, controversial, off-topic, and ignoble remarks, and the fact is that insofar as USMB is a privately owned site, they don't have to be. In return for that, however, it's incumbent on members posting here to have something of substance, something that "holds water" and isn't just an empty insult or platitude, to say when posting. After all, if all one can or will do is "fart out" a string of nonsense, what's the point of posting?

Sure, but sometimes . . . you just have to say (or post) what's on your mind. Some people need to be called out for what they are!

I think we should probably agree to disagree on that, and just call it a matter of nothing gained or lost.

I'm part of the "keep a stiff upper lip," "exercise restraint in the face of adversity," and "among my most prized possessions are words that I have never spoken" crowd that speaks its mind without "stooping" to the level of the folks who inspire us to churlish/loutish thoughts.

Oh how can we, scarce mastering our passions, expect that youth should keep itself in check?

Well, what good does that do you? If someone is behaving like a nitwit, I don't see anything wrong with pointing that out as bad behavior.

flacaltenn

Agreed. And the edits and warnings are pretty piss poor penny ante crap these days.

USMB is turning into a Snowflake Crybully Safe Space.

There are WAY too many crazies in the world. Lol. Is modern medicine a miracle or a curse? I don't know. :D

Is modern medicine a miracle or a curse? I don't know. :D

In my mind, it is both.

flacaltenn

OT:

-- Coco Chanel​

Well, what good does that do you? If someone is behaving like a nitwit, I don't see anything wrong with pointing that out as bad behavior.
Well, what good does that do you?

Exercising restraint is one of those things that, often enough but not always, is not about doing oneself any good, but rather not doing the harm of overstepping the line with regard to living the kind of life, being the kind of person, one has determined one will live/be and being the kind person that others cannot object legitimately to one's being.

The measure of one's success at being that person is, for me, found in a variety of ways, and one of them is my ability to exercise restraint when I'm tested and it'd instead be easy not to. That's a measure of achievement that, IMO, is worth more than money because it's a sure indicator to me that I'm not allowing someone else to control my behavior, which of all the behaviors that happen in the world, is the the only one over which I have complete control. I'm not keen to yield any of that control to someone else, least of all a total stranger on the Internet. It's also an achievement that cannot be taken away or diminished by anyone but oneself.

So, if nothing else, the good it does me is provide a small but vivid touchpoint that informs me that I've not become "that much more" incrementally weak of character that I'd, by someone who matters not in my life, be moved to a place I care not to be and to action I care not to take. Jesus didn't want to die on a cross, but he knew he had to to accomplish his objective and reach is destiny, thus he did. By comparison, the little bit of restraint I need to exercise in a venue like USMB is nothing.

(It's worth nothing that the New Testament and its story about Jesus is among the several great texts in the world that -- even fully dismissing its dogmatic aspects, miracles or no miracles, Son of God or not -- is an excellent handbook for how to live a life of high integrity and character. One may not always succeed at doing so, but one damn sure need not fail on account of nameless inveigling knaves on the Internet.)

Last edited:

flacaltenn

OT:

-- Coco Chanel​

Exercising restrain is one of those things that, often enough but not always, is not about doing oneself any good, but rather not doing the harm of overstepping the line with regard to living the kind of life, being the kinds of person, one has determined one will live/be and being the kind person that others cannot object legitimately to one's being.

The measure of one's success at being that person is, for me, found in a variety of ways, and one of them is my ability to exercise restraint when I'm tested and it'd instead be easy not to. That's a measure of achievement that, IMO, is worth more than money because it's a sure indicator me that I'm not allowing someone else to control my behavior, which of all the behaviors that happen in the world, is the the only one over which I have complete control. I'm not keen to yield any of that control to someone else, least of all a total stranger on the Internet.

So, if nothing else, the good it does me is provide a small but vivid touchpoint that informs me that I've not become "that much more" incrementally weak of character that I'd, by someone who matters not in my life, be moved to a place I care not to be and to action I care not to take. Jesus didn't want to die on a cross, but he knew he had to to accomplish his objective and reach is destiny, thus he did. By comparison, the little bit of restraint I need to exercise in a venue like USMB is nothing.

(It's worth nothing that the New Testament and its story about Jesus is among the several great texts in the world that -- even fully dismissing its dogmatic aspects, miracles or no miracles, Son of God or not -- is an excellent handbook for how to live a life of high integrity and character. One may not always succeed at doing so, but one damn sure need not fail on account of nameless inveigling knaves on the Internet.)

Well, you are basically still a newb here, so we will see how far you can stretch your patience for nitwits. :D

flacaltenn

OT:

-- Coco Chanel​

Exercising restrain is one of those things that, often enough but not always, is not about doing oneself any good, but rather not doing the harm of overstepping the line with regard to living the kind of life, being the kinds of person, one has determined one will live/be and being the kind person that others cannot object legitimately to one's being.

The measure of one's success at being that person is, for me, found in a variety of ways, and one of them is my ability to exercise restraint when I'm tested and it'd instead be easy not to. That's a measure of achievement that, IMO, is worth more than money because it's a sure indicator me that I'm not allowing someone else to control my behavior, which of all the behaviors that happen in the world, is the the only one over which I have complete control. I'm not keen to yield any of that control to someone else, least of all a total stranger on the Internet.

A lot of times, when someone is blatantly insulting, I just compliment myself or say good things about myself. They seem to really hate that. Lol. It's kind of funny actually. :D

OT:

-- Coco Chanel​

Well, you are basically still a newb here, so we will see how far you can stretch your patience for nitwits. :D
you are basically still a newb here, so we will see how far you can stretch your patience for nitwits.

I've long since lost patience with them. The restraint I exhibit here is that of to "nitwits" not responding in kind.

OT:

-- Coco Chanel​

A lot of times, when someone is blatantly insulting, I just compliment myself or say good things about myself. They seem to really hate that. Lol. It's kind of funny actually. :D

Okay. As I alluded earlier, you and I see the matter differently. I'm happy to explain how I see the matter and respond to it, but just to be expositive, not persuasive. I'm not here willfully going to try convincing anyone to adopt my principles in that regard.

I find that the most effective way to demonstrate that I could not care less about another's remarks is to say absolutely nothing about them.

Okay. As I alluded earlier, you and I see the matter differently. I'm happy to explain how I see the matter and respond to it, but just to be expositive, not persuasive. I'm not here willfully going to try convincing anyone to adopt my principles in that regard.

I find that the most effective way to demonstrate that I could not care less about another's remarks is to say absolutely nothing about them.

No. I said that I compliment MYSELF, and that seems to really bother them. Lol. I don't even have to say anything about them. :D That's how nutty they are.

I am far from crazy...

Just giving you fair warning about the far reaching power of USMB moderators

Ever read the bible? Amateurs compared to our mods

I am far from crazy...

I am far from crazy...
I don't think you're crazy; however, I think that claptrap about the moderators (near) omnipotence verges on certifiable.

I am far from crazy...

I am far from crazy...
I don't think you're crazy; however, I think that claptrap about the moderators (near) omnipotence verges on certifiable.

Well, he is paid, so . . . :D

Forum List

Back