MLK memorial

wow! it's huge!

110817044224_kingstatue%5B2%5D.jpg

That's what she sa......

Oh never mind

Yep.

Common mistake.

Admit it.. you guys didn't read the article, did you..

It has been posted several times as Republican revisionist history. It was wrong before, it is wrong now. The south was solid Democrat. It does not mean that Southern Republicans somehow supported the rights of blacks

There is no evidence that Martin Luther King Jr was a Republican. there is evidence that his father Dr Martin Luther King was a lifelong Republican

there were 10 count them 10 southern reps in the house and 1 in the senate.

I don't like the grey marble (was it marble or granite?) as shown in the picture on the MSNBC link. Maybe it is just that the picture in post #4 is a closer view of a model, but I like the red clay better because the features seem to stand out better.

Hopefully, some day soon I will have the opportunity to visit Washington DC and to walk the mall to see this and the other memorials.

For some reason, I don't believe Martin Luther King Jr. would care that the designer was a man from China. The thought of that is just so opposite the idea I have of Martin Luther King Jr.

Immie

Does anyone know of the symbolism contained in the new MLK statue? Looks like there is a mountain of despair reference. There is a large rock behind the statue with a slice out of it. The slice contains MLK partially craved out of the rock. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed. I like what I saw.
merge

Admit it.. you guys didn't read the article, did you..

It has been posted several times as Republican revisionist history. It was wrong before, it is wrong now. The south was solid Democrat. It does not mean that Southern Republicans somehow supported the rights of blacks

There is no evidence that Martin Luther King Jr was a Republican. there is evidence that his father Dr Martin Luther King was a lifelong Republican

Hence the solid south. There were Republicans in the south. They ran in every election but tended not to win. Those Republicans were as racist as their Democratic brethren. The fact is that you could not get elected dog catcher if you were against segregation and supported Civil Rights

That is why the recent propaganda that it was the Democrats who were the racists is so deceptive. Civil Rights was a North/South issue not a Democrat/Republican issue.

I hear it is much bigger then the Lincoln memorial, gee I wonder how big the Obama shrine will be?

The statue is bigger than Lincolns statue, the memorial itself is not as large as Lincolns and is not in as prominent a place on the mall

Last edited:
An overdue tribute IMO.

And, it resembles Eddie Murphy more than George Jefferson to my eye.

Not really a big deal but if I was in charge I would have just invited black American artists to submit proposals simply because he was a black American who did so much for his people, but I assume I would be criticized for that for a variety of reasons.

Last edited:
The street address for the memorial will be 1964 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC, with "1964" chosen as a direct reference to the 1964 Civil Rights Act, a milestone in the Civil Rights movement in which King played such an important role.[24] The memorial will be located on a 4-acre (16,000 m2) site on the National Mall that borders the Tidal Basin. It will be adjacent to the FDR Memorial and will create a visual "line of leadership" from the Lincoln Memorial, where King gave his famous "I Have a Dream" speech at the March on Washington, to the Jefferson Memorial.

The centerpiece for the memorial will be based on a line from King's "I have a dream" speech: "Out of a mountain of despair, a stone of hope."[25] A 30-foot high statue of King named the “Stone of Hope” will stand past two other pieces of granite that symbolize the "mountain of despair."[25] Visitors will literally "pass through" the Mountain of Despair on the way to the Stone of Hope, symbolically "moving through the struggle as Dr. King did during his life."

Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope is a good thing my friends.

Hence the solid south. There were Republicans in the south. They ran in every election but tended not to win.

Those Republicans were as racist as their Democratic brethren. The fact is that you could not get elected dog catcher if you were against segregation and supported Civil Rights

That is why the recent propaganda that it was the Democrats who were the racists is so deceptive. Civil Rights was a North/South issue not a Democrat/Republican issue.

Those Republicans were as racist as their Democratic brethren. The fact is that you could not get elected dog catcher if you were against segregation and supported Civil Rights

go ahead and contradict yourself some more, I don't think you went far enough here:rolleyes:

Hence the solid south. There were Republicans in the south. They ran in every election but tended not to win.

go ahead and contradict yourself some more, I don't think you went far enough here:rolleyes:

You are welcome to point out Republicans in the south who were opposed to segregation

Did they pay the King family for the licensing of his image?

sorry to have to quote you again but, apparently yes-$800K..:doubt:

Cashing in on Martin Luther King Jr. - latimes.com

:eusa_eh: Sad.

The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. often spoke of public charity and how every person "must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness." It is a lesson that appears lost on his own children.

The King family has long been criticized for insisting on payment for the use of their father's name, image, speeches and virtually anything that they can claim for themselves or their foundation. The family reached a new low this week when it was revealed that they had been paid more than $800,000 by the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial Project Foundation for the use of King's image and words on the planned King memorial on Washington's

For many years, the family has insisted that although King may have been called the nation's prophet, he is their property. Of course, it is the profits, and not the prophet himself, that has led them regularly to court to fight over royalties and control.

The surviving children of King have been feuding in court since July...

Forum List

Back