Misinformation: Florida public school slavery history issue

TroglocratsRdumb

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2017
(Bloomberg) -- Will Hurd said Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, his rival for the Republican presidential nomination, should take responsibility for a new state curriculum that calls for teaching that slavery gave enslaved people valuable skills.

“Implying that there is an upside to slavery is absolutely wrong,” said Hurd, a former US representative running a long-shot bid for the GOP nomination, in an interview Monday with Bloomberg Television’s “Balance of Power.”

Comment:
Dr William Allen who is Black helped write the Florida public school slavery history.
He said, “It is the case that Africans proved resourceful, resilient and adaptive, and were able to develop skills and aptitudes which served to their benefit, both while enslaved and after enslaved,” he argued in a short clip that ABC aired.
Dr Allen was not endorsing slavery.
He was praising the ingenuity and determination of Slaves.
But the Dems, Yellow Press and DeSantis's rivel Gurd are twisting the facts.
drwilliamballen.jpg

(Bloomberg) -- Will Hurd said Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, his rival for the Republican presidential nomination, should take responsibility for a new state curriculum that calls for teaching that slavery gave enslaved people valuable skills.

“Implying that there is an upside to slavery is absolutely wrong,” said Hurd, a former US representative running a long-shot bid for the GOP nomination, in an interview Monday with Bloomberg Television’s “Balance of Power.”

Comment:
Dr William Allen who is Black helped write the Florida public school slavery history.
He said, “It is the case that Africans proved resourceful, resilient and adaptive, and were able to develop skills and aptitudes which served to their benefit, both while enslaved and after enslaved,” he argued in a short clip that ABC aired.
View attachment 807649
Same shit, different day. Democrats twisted and distorted comments to inflame their simple-minded followers.

Comment:
View attachment 807649
It’s not ‘misinformation.’

It’s a continuation of the racist right’s efforts at revisionist history – by propagating the lie that enslaved Americans somehow ‘benefited’ from slavery, such as ‘developing skills,’ conservatives can better pursue their agenda hostile to anti-poverty programs and policies designed to improve education opportunities for Americans of color.

Conservatives have long sought to undermine the fact that the history of slavery, Jim Crow, Black Codes, and segregation continue to adversely affect black Americans today – the lie that enslaved Americans somehow ‘benefited’ in any way from slavery is the most recent attack by the right on that history.

It’s a continuation of the racist right’s efforts at revisionist history – by propagating the lie that enslaved Americans somehow ‘benefited’ from slavery, such as ‘developing skills,’ conservatives can better pursue their agenda hostile to anti-poverty programs and policies designed to improve education opportunities for Americans of color.

Conservatives have long sought to undermine the fact that the history of slavery, Jim Crow, Black Codes, and segregation continue to adversely affect black Americans today – the lie that enslaved Americans somehow ‘benefited’ in any way from slavery is the most recent attack by the right on that history.

First of all I wonder, had anyone here actually seen any of this curriculum? do we know how many chapters? how many paragraphs of text are dedicated to saying that Slaves developed skills?
Right now, I see a lot of people making bold statements with really very little information about what
they are actually teaching In Florida. And as well, a lot of judgement is being made against Desantis based on a few Comments. Some Democrats wanting to go so far as to say , if you say your pro slavery if you
dare mention anything that can be seen as positive during slavery. I totally disagree with that.... and I also wish that slavery never existed in the U.S.. The fact is though, when it comes to history, people need to leave their emotions at the door and be objective.
I saw the same emotions when schools wanted to ban Mark Twain's HuckleBerry Finn... even though he was VERY anti slavery and his book taught the reader quite the opposite. Problem was he used the N word in his story, because he wrote his book true to life... it didnt mean he endorsed calling black people the N word.

First of all I wonder, had anyone here actually seen any of this curriculum? do we know how many chapters? how many paragraphs of text are dedicated to saying that Slaves developed skills?
Right now, I see a lot of people making bold statements with really very little information about what
they are actually teaching In Florida. And as well, a lot of judgement is being made against Desantis based on a few Comments. Some Democrats wanting to go so far as to say , if you say your pro slavery if you
dare mention anything that can be seen as positive during slavery. I totally disagree with that.... and I also wish that slavery never existed in the U.S.. The fact is though, when it comes to history, people need to leave their emotions at the door and be objective.
I saw the same emotions when schools wanted to ban Mark Twain's HuckleBerry Finn... even though he was VERY anti slavery and his book taught the reader quite the opposite. Problem was he used the N word in his story, because he wrote his book true to life... it didnt mean he endorsed calling black people the N word.
I would like to see the actual curriculum myself. Having said that, I have a hard time imaging a different reason why you would connect beneficial effects of slavery in a text book thaught to children then trying to make slavery more palatable. Even if true that slavery gave slaves skills those weren't skills for the benefit of the slave but to the benefit of the master.

I find the argument that it was put in to highlight the skills of the slaves as highly dubious precisely because it is written as a benefit of slavery NOT as a choice of the slaves( who had none)

Not to mention that any "special skills" a slave acquired during his tenure, would have been reason to either keep him/her on the plantation, or increase their sale price on the slave market.

Why do you think slaves were forbidden from being taught to read and write? An actual skill that they could use that actually decreased their slave market value.

After the slave revolt led by Nat Turner in 1831, all slave states except Maryland, Kentucky, and Tennessee passed laws against teaching slaves to read and write.

I would like to see the actual curriculum myself. Having said that, I have a hard time imaging a different reason why you would connect beneficial effects of slavery in a text book thaught to children then trying to make slavery more palatable. Even if true that slavery gave slaves skills those weren't skills for the benefit of the slave but to the benefit of the master.

That's exactly the point. Any skills taught were because the slavemaster needed someone with those skills. And once taught to a slave, his owner would never give away (free) such a valuable asset. But it would enhance the slaves value on the slave market.

If I teach middle schoolers about Nazism and describe the horrors they inflicted on the world, and in my textbook it mentioned that the NAZIS invented recreational cruise's I would consider that piece of information as highly inappropriate. It might be true (it is), it might be interesting (it is), it also sends the message that some of it was admirable.

An adult who has the interest and maturity to place that program in context might benefit from knowing this. A middle schooler should not be taught that Nazism was anything but abhorrent. Slavery was equally abhorrent, and this fact should not be diminished in any way.

That in my view is why this curriculum, even with the little I know of it is disgraceful.

You don't seem to know anything about this. The Florida Slavery curriculum you are foaming over was spearheaded by two Africa Americans at DeSantis request. There are 191 lessons in this curriculum with 190 of them teaching Middle Schoolers through High Schoolers that slavery was very bad. I bet you did not know this, did you? The 1 and only point about something positive that came out of the slavery time period for Blacks is that they learned skills that made their lives better than say the pickers of cotton. And, that after slavery was over, they had skills that helped them get jobs or start their own businesses. There is no getting around this as a fact. This doesn't encourage slavery or make slavery a good thing. Only a racist would say that and I guess Mr. Jones, you must be one.

I heard a liberal on Fox News, on the Five, try to say that this sort of thing is questionable to discuss at a young age as 6th through 12th. However, she has no problem with CRT being taught to Kindergarteners. Idiots!!! All you are trying to do is cause separation of Americans and start a war. The stupidest Vice President this country has ever had, Camal Breath Harris, was spewing lies like you are about this curriculum, especially the one about Blacks were smart enough to learn skills that helped them in their condition and after slavery. One out of 191 topics in the curriculum. Half of one percent of the entire curriculum that made this point which you should see now is a good one. None of the Democrat talking heads in the media too read the entire 191 topics. They just got their talking points to make this political to attempt to stop DeSantis run for Presidency.

The same liberal idiot on Fox News also tried to equate this to Jews in concentration camps. Fortunately, Guttfeld slammed her again by stating Jews who learned skills also found ways to stay alive as well. Learning skills was a good thing. And, Guttfeld is Jewish.

Comment:
View attachment 807649

DemoKKKrats don't like ANY discussion of black people accomplishing anything worthwhile.

Comment:
View attachment 807649

The only upside about this fuckery is that it took care of the Meatball. Nobody needs to worry about that asshole anymore. And good riddance

Comment:
View attachment 807649
I like Hurd.

That's exactly the point. Any skills taught were because the slavemaster needed someone with those skills. And once taught to a slave, his owner would never give away (free) such a valuable asset. But it would enhance the slaves value on the slave market.
Didn't help the slave for shit. Why are you going down this road defending 'nonexistent curriculum.'

The only upside about this fuckery is that it took care of the Meatball. Nobody needs to worry about that asshole anymore. And good riddance
Wow you are still not able to comprehend that Dr Allen was not praising slavery, he was praising the ingenuity and determination of the Slaves.
The Dem Press and Politicians thrive on hate and ignorance.

Forum List

Back