“Merry Christmas” vs “happy holidays”

I find this controversy interesting in the sense that it’s so ridiculous. On the one hand, I find it laughable that conservatives see the “happy holidays” push as a threat to Christmas and Christianity itself. And on the other, I find it stupid that the PC-obsessed left thinks that the expression should be embraced and respected because of the supposed sensitivity atheists and other non-Christians feel about saying “Merry Christmas”.

The whole thing is so insane. I’m an atheist and I say “Merry Christmas”. I also don’t care if anyone chooses to say either expression in ANY context. Let’s all be adults and remember how important free speech is.
It's the fact that leftist get so bent out of shape that companies feel a need to pass rules forbidding their employees from saying Merry Christmas.

you won't see a con lose their shit over HH but you know damn well you HAVE seen a leftist lose theirs over MC

Cons don't lose their shit over happy holidays?
687474703a2f2f7777772e62696c67656275636b65742e636f6d2f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f6f7265696c6c797761726f6e6368726973746d61732e6a7067

This entire "controversy" is just plain stupid and brought to you by members of these "Christian" cults that seem to overpopulate North America. These are the frankie graham, dobson, kim davis types.

I find this controversy interesting in the sense that it’s so ridiculous. On the one hand, I find it laughable that conservatives see the “happy holidays” push as a threat to Christmas and Christianity itself. And on the other, I find it stupid that the PC-obsessed left thinks that the expression should be embraced and respected because of the supposed sensitivity atheists and other non-Christians feel about saying “Merry Christmas”.

The whole thing is so insane. I’m an atheist and I say “Merry Christmas”. I also don’t care if anyone chooses to say either expression in ANY context. Let’s all be adults and remember how important free speech is.

If you don't really care who says what, why does it seem to bother you that some left wingers choose to say happy holidays? I thought it didn't matter?
That’s not all what I said. I made it clear I don’t care if anyone says “happy holidays” under any circumstance. My point is that people shouldn’t be pressured to not say “Merry Christmas” under any circumstances as well.

If a business wants to make all their customers feel welcome, even if they don't celebrate Christmas, I don't have a problem with them telling their employees to say happy holidays. Pay attention. Workers in stores are required to say all kinds of little phrases. Thank you for your business is a common required statement.

If you don't really care who says what, why does it seem to bother you that some left wingers choose to say happy holidays? I thought it didn't matter?
That’s not all what I said. I made it clear I don’t care if anyone says “happy holidays” under any circumstance. My point is that people shouldn’t be pressured to not say “Merry Christmas” under any circumstances as well.

If a business wants to make all their customers feel welcome, even if they don't celebrate Christmas, I don't have a problem with them telling their employees to say happy holidays. Pay attention. Workers in stores are required to say all kinds of little phrases. Thank you for your business is a common required statement.
Well, companies have the right to make those rules, but it doesn’t mean they should.

Well, companies have the right to make those rules, but it doesn’t mean they should.

They shouldn't unless they want to make their customers who aren't Christian feel welcome too.

They shouldn't unless they want to make their customers who aren't Christian feel welcome too.
Those customers are complete snowflakes. It’s a goddamn greeting. Why should anyone care?

It's the fact that leftist get so bent out of shape that companies feel a need to pass rules forbidding their employees from saying Merry Christmas.

you won't see a con lose their shit over HH but you know damn well you HAVE seen a leftist lose theirs over MC
Both sides definitely lose their shit. My god the “War on Christmas” is as fake as it comes but republicans and Fox News never shut the fuck about it.
There is a war on Christmas. But it comes from the Republicans.
Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Christ.

Remember the debates in Las Vegas when Republicans yelled out "let him die"?
These tax cuts? Screw the middle class and the poor to pass money to billionaires? Trump's family stand to get a billion dollars.
There is nothing the GOP won't do fueled by greed.

They are the party of the anti Christ. If Jesus came back today, he might turn them into swine.

As a Muslim if I know the person is Christian I say merry Christmas if not happy holidays.

Both sides definitely lose their shit. My god the “War on Christmas” is as fake as it comes but republicans and Fox News never shut the fuck about it.

These tax cuts? Screw the middle class and the poor to pass money to billionaires? Trump's family stand to get a billion dollars.

They are the party of the anti Christ. If Jesus came back today, he might turn them into swine.
And you into pig swill, which is less of a stretch than turning Republicans into pigs.

And you into pig swill, which is less of a stretch than turning Republicans into pigs.

Republitards are half way there already - they eat the corn out of Trumps crap pile ...

Let’s all be adults and remember how important free speech is.

I don't see it as a 1st Amendment matter. I see it as a matter of a recipient of the tiding recognizing the sentiment in which it's offered.

I'm not about to go out of my way to suss out whether the person to whom I'm speaking is a Christian or not. By "Merry Christmas" I mean "enjoy the period and good cheer that one may encounter around the date of December 25." If the recipient of my tidings because they also refer to the birth of Jesus, well, that's on them. If they ask me to explain, or mention that they are not Christian, or whatever, that's fine, and I'm happy to clarify that I made the remark with no religious sentiments in mind.

Sometimes I say "Merry Christmas" and sometimes I say "Happy Holidays." Which I say at any given moment has nothing to do with the faith-based belief system of the person(s) to whom I'm speaking at the time. It has everything to do with which comes first to my tongue. I can't say why one or the other rolls out first, nor am I seeking credible input in that regard.

Might it be possible that someone to a non-Christian say "Merry Christmas" as a slight of sorts? I suppose so, but whether to take the statement as a dig is for that non-Christian to determine based on what they know about the situation, the person who says it and the nature of their relationship to that person.

Almost annually at least a small few Muslim colleagues wish me "Happy Ramadan" -- in person, they say "Ramadan Mubarak" and in writing, "Kul 'am wa enta bi-khair" -- and I just say, "Thanks. You too." What else is there to do? I know damn well they're just being kind and offering glad tidings. And frankly, even though I'm not a Muslim, I'm perfectly fine with being peaceful and happy during Ramadan; I don't need to celebrate Ramadan to want that and appreciate someone's expression that I enjoy those things, at any time of the year, truth be told.

I am an atheist and I say merry Christmas. Happy holidays sounds like it's about some other holiday.

how simple is this....you say happy holidays..and i will reply....happy winter solstice...you say...merry christmas and i will reply ....happy winter solstice...each to their own

687474703a2f2f7777772e62696c67656275636b65742e636f6d2f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f6f7265696c6c797761726f6e6368726973746d61732e6a7067
every single year you nuts prove him right, then complain that he points out your hatred.

every single year you nuts prove him right, then complain that he points out your hatred.

Make up your mind.Either crazy cons go nuts over "Happy Holidays" or not

Forum List

Back