McDonald’s CA franchisee on new minimum wage: "The sheer scale of the impact is just breathtaking"

thats a great Idea. Im going to start a new hamburger chain where the people come in and flip their own burgers. automated deep fryer for the fries will have safty glass of course. Only two employees needed. The cashier and someone to replace the fresh ingrdients.
Sounds like Kramers’ “Make Your Own Pizza “ idea.

If they could get more work out of fewer employees, they’d be doing so now.

Not when the market was setting the price for given skill sets. Now that the government has overridden the market by a wide margin, they will be required to get that $20 worth of added labor from all positions, never mind the upward pressure now applied to wages for more skilled managers and such.

Before you paid $10 per hour to people who could give you $10 of labor added. Now having to pay $20 each for the same level of competence, you are better off hiring one person worth the $20 you HAVE to pay for them.

So those two $10 an hour people lose their jobs, and the $20 per hour person has to work far harder to justify their added value to the products.

I almost never go to McDonalds anymore.

And I’m not the left coast.

But just for the sake of idle curiosity, how much does it cost to get a Big Mac, large fries and maybe a regular coke from a California Mickey D’s these days?

Depends on the State you buy it in. In CA it is $5.31 last July for the BigMac + $2.99 large fries, Drink? probably $2. You are going to pay over $10 with Tax in most states I would bet. easily.

It turns out the average price of a Big Mac varies widely from state to state, with the signature McDonald’s burger selling for $3.91 on the low end up to $5.31 depending on where you’re dining.

Last edited:
"A restaurant operator makes anywhere from 5% to 15%, the bottom line at the end of the day, and if your labor cost is one-third of your cost, so 30%, and you raise the wage from $15 to $20 or $25 over the next couple years, you're almost doubling that cost. And so they're going to have to raise prices."

I almost never go to McDonalds anymore.

And I’m not the left coast.

But just for the sake of idle curiosity, how much does it cost to get a Big Mac, large fries and maybe a regular coke from a California Mickey D’s these days?

Then I found this. I despise the internet!!! what is the real truth? Impossible to find using Google skewed search engine.

McDonald's has recently received heavy criticism over its Big Mac combo, which is priced at nearly $18, among other menu hikes, and has promised to focus on affordability, the New York Post reported.

Layoffs have already been happening in anticipation of the new law, and no doubt many more jobs will be eliminated.

It's been a long time since I was in a McD's, but even years ago they had touch-screen kiosks for ordering, which were great. I think the whole restaurant had maybe 6 employees in it, most in the kitchen. There was one girl handing orders to customers and that was it for front of house.

This is the way it should be, and this type of automation will soon be wide spread, except in places like California, where the locals will vandalize the kiosks, shit in the lobby, etc. In those places, the company will just close their stores. It's for the best.

It's been a long time since I was in a McD's, but even years ago they had touch-screen kiosks for ordering, which were great. I think the whole restaurant had maybe 6 employees in it, most in the kitchen. There was one girl handing orders to customers and that was it for front of house.

This is the way it should be, and this type of automation will soon be wide spread, except in places like California, where the locals will vandalize the kiosks, shit in the lobby, etc. In those places, the company will just close their stores. It's for the best.
Actually, after Covid, there is no real need for a lobby anymore, just full-time drive throughs. Eliminates the cost of maintaining bathrooms.

Depends on the State you buy it in. In CA it is $5.31 last July for the BigMac + $2.99 large fries, Drink? probably $2. You are going to pay over $10 with Tax in most states I would bet. easily.

It turns out the average price of a Big Mac varies widely from state to state, with the signature McDonald’s burger selling for $3.91 on the low end up to $5.31 depending on where you’re dining.
Whatever the cost is in CA., it’s going up.

Not when the market was setting the price for given skill sets. Now that the government has overridden the market by a wide margin, they will be required to get that $20 worth of added labor from all positions, never mind the upward pressure now applied to wages for more skilled managers and such.

Before you paid $10 per hour to people who could give you $10 of labor added. Now having to pay $20 each for the same level of competence, you are better off hiring one person worth the $20 you HAVE to pay for them.

So those two $10 an hour people lose their jobs, and the $20 per hour person has to work far harder to justify their added value to the products.

Its screwed up. Its basically the government telling businesses how to run their own operation. In the past, businesses still had the option to pay their lower employees more is they so chose. and sometimes that made sense depending on the business model, like IN and Out Burger who already paid their employees more than other fast food places.
Biden is trying to shrink our economy.

A lot of work goes into manning the drive thru also.

Forum List

Back