May evil be done that good might come of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, here is what prompted my question.
The Holy Father clearly emphasizes the evil of intentionally causing death to the donor in disposing of his organs. Therefore, to sacrifice the life of a donor in order to obtain an organ for someone else violates the fifth commandment: "Thou shalt not kill."

On the other hand, do we stop organ transplants?
http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=6335

dmp said:
Except that's not quite right.

"Do not Murder" is more an appropriate translation.

I didn't think "thou shalt not kill" needed a translation. Don't kill means don't kill.

But I do agree there's instances when killing is all but neccessary. i.e., in defense of ones life, or family, or country.

gop_jeff said:
No. I think you are blurring the lines a bit.

I just think this is the argument that some use to say that both religions are violent. Islam says to murder infidels. Chrsitianity apparently approves of killing as long as it's done in self defense.

Pale Rider said:
I didn't think "thou shalt not kill" needed a translation. Don't kill means don't kill.

But I do agree there's instances when killing is all but neccessary. i.e., in defense of ones life, or family, or country.

But "Thou Shalt Not Kill" is NOT what was written by God on those tablets. The Correct, or MORE correct translation was God ordering the Israelis to not murder.

:)

dmp said:
But "Thou Shalt Not Kill" is NOT what was written by God on those tablets. The Correct, or MORE correct translation was God ordering the Israelis to not murder.

:)

Oh... well, all I have to go on is what I've been taught. :dunno:

dilloduck said:
The pope is apparently against the harvesting of organs from someone who has been declared "brain dead" even if it will save the life of another.
After reading the artical I know I'll never donate.

Mr. P said:
After reading the artical I know I'll never donate.

I've heard disturbing stories to the same effect. "When the fight for life is dubious, let them die because they're an organ donor".

Not me. Don't want any, don't take any.

Mr. P said:
I wanta leave with what I can with. I feel about the same as pale.

I think that's your right and can legally make it so in your will. Should others be able to donate if they don't feel the way you do?

I want my death to mean something. If somebody can use and wants any part of me after I'm gone, they're welcome to it. The older I get the less likely my parts will be any good to anyone, but if I died tomorrow my family knows to offer any part of what's left of my body to whomever needs it.

I'm a giver, I suppose.

Mr. P said:
Okay, here is what prompted my question.

"The Holy Father clearly emphasizes the evil of intentionally causing death to the donor in disposing of his organs. Therefore, to sacrifice the life of a donor in order to obtain an organ for someone else violates the fifth commandment: "Thou shalt not kill."

On the other hand, do we stop organ transplants?
http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=6335
I thought organ donations were given from people who had ALREADY died?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back