For liberallogic: Bible Topics

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Nienna, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I thought we should move this to another thread. But here is the post that I am addressing:
    I will try to take this bit-by-bit.

2. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Masturbation
    I, too, was raised Catholic, although I am no longer practicing Catholicism. I don't remember getting any info on masturbation in (Catholic) school. Maybe they gave that out especially to the boys. :tng:

Manu, dillo, and I had a lively discussion on this subject awhile back. I think we should break this into two subcategories: Masturbation of the Married, and Masturbation of the Single.

Masturbation of the MarriedThe Bible makes it clear that each partner in the marriage belongs, not only to himself, but to the other as well. "The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise, the wife to her husband. The wife's body does not belong to her alone, but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone, but also to his wife. Do not deprive each other." (1Corinthians 7:3-5a)

One of the major benefits of marriage is sexual release. If a partner needs release, it is the duty of the other partner to supply that. Likewise, I believe it is the duty of the "horny" partner to seek his/her spouse for release. If one gets into the habit of "releasing himself," it could potentially damage the relationship. If one partner is unable to fulfill his/her marital duty, I think masturbation may be used. However, for the sake of decency, he should try to keep it private.

Masturbation of the Single According to the Bible, the single person has no moral method of sexual release EXCEPT masturbation. The danger here, and this applies to married people too, is lustful thoughts. "But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." (Matthew 5:28) I believe that masturbation is generally accompanied by lustful or erotic images in the mind. This may be where the sin comes in. If a married man is fantasizing about someone other than his wife, it is adultery. If a single man cannot satisfy himself without fantastic images, it is adultery or fornication.

This is my take on what the Bible has to say about masturbation. As stated before, I can recall no verse in which this topic is directly addressed.

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Often 'The Church' confuses normal, biological sexual desire or arrousal with 'lust'. I've heard people say that if a guy has a wet-dream he must have hidden lust in his heart somewhere. I contend Lust cannot be hidden, by it's very definition. Lust requires effort. Purpose. Obsessive desire towards an object or feeling OTHER than God. Consuming, and junk.

Too often the church creates sin in the lives of it's membership because "Well, masturbation MUST be lustful!". That 'briefs well' but it's NOT biblical.

Well done, J.

4. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    You're a dear, D.

5. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I don't know where I've been today, I just saw this. :rolleyes:
    I'm sorry Mom, but it is either right or wrong.

Suppose you are engaged and have chosen to wait until marriage for intercourse? Is is wrong to masturbate while thinking of your intended? Or thinking of your spouse?

I don't believe it is wrong, but as with anythything, excess can do harm (& I don't mean going blind).

Unlike intercourse which is a give/get activity, masturbation is a totally selfish act. This is where I believe it can become harmful.

What if you masturbate, not by your partner but with your partner, present?

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

Couple of thoughts - not specifically regarding what you put, Starla...but general thoughts on the subject:

Sex isn't about 'pleasing' - Sex is about forming a physical and emotional bond with one's wife. Masturbating is about releasing the pent-up frustration and physical pain which can occur when she 'has a headache'.

Too many people in 'the church' feel if something is 'sexual' it must CERTAINLY be sinful. To me, masturbation for married men or women can be a little sad; I want to be able to help my wife not 'need' to do that - I want to be there for her always. In the same way, just may not always be feasable due to schedule, stresses, etc. It's not that I'd be unhappy about my wife taking matters into her own hands, it's just I'd be a little sad I wasn't there to help. I'm not sure masturbation can't be beneficial to both parties - just takes some imagination maybe? :) :)

7. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    When I spoke of masturbation, I was going based on what I was taught by my catholic church. When I was going to receive my confirmation (in 9th grade), we attended youth groups led by teens who were a few years older than us. It was intended for them to relate to us so that we could better find God. I distinctly remember sitting in a classroom with my youth group leader with the rest of our group, him turning off the lights, and making us go around the room and say whether or not we masturbated. He said that he understood that we had urges, but the only time we should be "releasing" ourselves is in marriage. We were constantly told that masturbation was unacceptable because we were abusing God's gift of pleasure.

I don't know whether this concept is widespread in christianity, but this was my experience as a catholic.

If I were to look at this as a Christian, and I mean a hardcore Christian, I would probably say that masturbation is wrong. I would also say that sex outside of marriage and within marriage (with the exception of reproduction) is wrong as well. Obviously, I don't feel that way personally, but it makes sense that if every time a man orgasms, he has the potential to impregnate a woman. Those are living cells, therefore, if they are not directed towards reproduction, they are being wasted and potential life is being destroyed. That is the logic that I can deduce from catholicism.

And trust me, I'm not anti-sex or anything like that (especially between a married couple)...I'm just putting what I learned into perspective and throwing it out as an idea.

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Hardcore christians would absolutely dissagree with you.

The 'more' somebody is like christ, the more they 'get it'...it being 'they understand'.

9. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Are you saying Christ advocated masturbation or sex for pleasure? I don't really get how that ties into the whole masturbation thing. Can you please clarify that for me.

10. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    You're kidding right??? What an archaic attitude! Sounds like some thing my mother would say.....something about sex being her wifely duty.
    *sigh* back to the salt mine.....time for more bonding...... *sigh*

You can emotionally bond with your wife without intercourse.
    When you share your hopes, dreams, ideas & fears, you share a part of you that you hope is excepted by your partner, you make yourself vulnerable; And it forms a bond. For if this stuff is then discussed at the next girl-gathering, you would feel betrayed.

And sex by itself, well alot of people have met a person & shortly thereafter had sex with them. For a man, he can pull his pants up, walk out the door, rate it as pretty good & never look back; a little bit different for a woman. It was just intercourse. But it was pleasing.

It is the physical act of a couple making themselves EXTREMELY vulnerable to each other, combined with the emotional bond that should already exist between the two of you, that makes this act genuinely & sincerely soul touching. And if that isn't pleasure.......
    I'll kiss your ass. ;)

Well in the same way you feel it's OK for you when she has a headache "releasing the pent-up frustration and physical pain" Why isn't it OK for her when you "may not always be feasable due to schedule, stresses"? Why do you feel slighted??
    You've got a chauvanistic double standard going on here.