May evil be done that good might come of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Romans 3:5-8:
But if our unrighteousness serves to show the righteousness of God, what shall we say? That God is unrighteous to inflict wrath on us? (I speak in human terms.) By no means! For then how could God judge the world? But if through my lie God's truth abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner? And why not do evil that good may come?--as some people slanderously charge us with saying. Their condemnation is just.

Id Est,

7It's simply perverse to say, "If my lies serve to show off God's truth all the more gloriously, why blame me? I'm doing God a favor." 8Some people are actually trying to put such words in our mouths, claiming that we go around saying, "The more evil we do, the more good God does, so let's just do it!" That's pure slander, as I'm sure you'll agree.

gop_jeff said:
Romans 3:5-8:
But if our unrighteousness serves to show the righteousness of God, what shall we say? That God is unrighteous to inflict wrath on us? (I speak in human terms.) By no means! For then how could God judge the world? But if through my lie God's truth abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner? And why not do evil that good may come?--as some people slanderously charge us with saying. Their condemnation is just.
Is that a no, Jeff?

Mr. P said:
Any thoughts? Think hard about this one.

You mean like when we dropped the A-bombs on Japan to end the war.

Kill all those people = evil. End the war = good.

Pale Rider said:
You mean like when we dropped the A-bombs on Japan to end the war.

Kill all those people = evil. End the war = good.

Killing people isn't necessarily evil. God whiped out hundreds/thousands of Egyptians who were chasing His People across the red sea.

dmp said:
Killing people isn't necessarily evil. God whiped out hundreds/thousands of Egyptians who were chasing His People across the red sea.

Does God ever have men doing the "wiping out" for him?

dilloduck said:
I think it's the question of "do the ends justify the means?" put in a religious context.
That''s it, religious and ethical context.
I have something to post that may agree or disagree, but I wanted opinion first not bible quotes.

I say no, in general. We can never see the future; we can only make the best, most honest choices that we can in the moment. How do we know that our evil will truly result in good?

But sometimes, we are faced with picking the lesser of two evils. Not everything is black or white in this world.

dilloduck said:
Does God ever have men doing the "wiping out" for him?

Most of the time, yes. Canaan was wiped out by men at the behest of God. God sent many invading nations to Israel as punishment for turning their backs to Him.

However, if you want to see someone really interesting based around this, watch the move "Serenity."

The bad guy from Serenity said:
I do not try to justify what I do. I am an evil man, and I have no place in the world I am trying to create, but it must be done.

Or something like that. I haven't gotten the movie memorized yet. ;)

Hobbit said:
Most of the time, yes. Canaan was wiped out by men at the behest of God. God sent many invading nations to Israel as punishment for turning their backs to Him.

However, if you want to see someone really interesting based around this, watch the move "Serenity."

Or something like that. I haven't gotten the movie memorized yet. ;)

Then there is similarity between Christianity and Islam. It is ok to kill your enemy ?

dilloduck said:
Then there is similarity between Christianity and Islam. It is ok to kill your enemy ?

If it is, then why is one of the Ten Commandments, "Tho Shalt Not Kill?"

Mr. P said:
Is that a no, Jeff?

It is, indeed, a "no." We are to do what we know is morally/ethically right.

For example, we could rob a 7-Eleven (an evil act) and give the money to poor people on the streets (a good act). However noble it is to help poor people financially, it is still immoral to steal.

dilloduck said:

Yes - sure it is. It's NOT okay to kill somebody for simply non-belief of Christianity. It's NOT okay to 'murder'. But in defense of one's nation, or one's family. yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back