May-December (2023) Netflix

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Difficult in what to say about this movie. It was just okay.
It is an odd movie, a movie about making a movie about a real person.
Everyone probably knows this person by her photo alone...

download.jpg

A sick 37 year old woman who began having sex with her 12 year old, 7th grade student. After getting caught, she refused to stop having sex with him, went to jail, had his baby in jail, and then married him.
What is missing in the movie is how hollyweirdo's made her into a celebrity that "just had a tryst".
It is not necessarily a movie about her. The film centers around Natalie Portman playing herself, who is going to make a movie about her.
It is not a terrible movie... just not a good one. Nothing really happens. You continue watching it, thinking there is going to be something more exciting at the end. It just ends. Like someone shut the camera off.

Skip it.

I should add - the one thing I can give Natalie Portman kudos for (she co produced it)... is that she did not portray Mary in a good light. She portrayed her as she actually was - a person with several mental illnesses, delusional, narcissistic and has no basic grasp of reality. Not a nice person who just made a mistake like Barbara Walters and other talk shows made her out to be.

So good on Portman for showing viewers she was a selfish, sick woman.

I watched it too--very strange. Also watched a series on Hulu called "A Teacher" about a teacher (female) who started an affair with teenager. It has always bothered me a LOT that we treat these differently than we would treat male teacher-female student affairs. I raised a son and I KNOW that he was not ready for a "relationship" with an adult woman at 16-17, and that this could have destroyed him on many levels. Just a bad scene all the way around.

I watched it too--very strange. Also watched a series on Hulu called "A Teacher" about a teacher (female) who started an affair with teenager. It has always bothered me a LOT that we treat these differently than we would treat male teacher-female student affairs. I raised a son and I KNOW that he was not ready for a "relationship" with an adult woman at 16-17, and that this could have destroyed him on many levels. Just a bad scene all the way around.
Aye - we watched it expecting to see the story about what happened.
Not a movie about making a movie.
At least Portman portrayed Mary as she actually was, mentally ill and self absorbed. Not how talk shows, including Barbara Walters even, who made her out to be a decent person who made a mistake.
And you are of course right - no 37 year old male teacher who had repeated sex with a 12 year old girl is EVER going to be made out to be a "decent man who made a mistake".

I should add - the one thing I can give Natalie Portman kudos for (she co produced it)... is that she did not portray Mary in a good light. She portrayed her as she actually was - a person with several mental illnesses, delusional, narcissistic and has no basic grasp of reality. Not a nice person who just made a mistake like Barbara Walters and other talk shows made her out to be.

So good on Portman for showing viewers she was a selfish, sick woman.
sounds like one I will skip

Forum List

Back