Signal on Netflix

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
More a psychologic mystery than Sci-FI, Signal is worth watching. The story is about an astronaut that receives a strange message while at the space station. The story would have been an excellent program for the old Twilight TV series. Come to think about it, maybe it was. Wisely the creators made this a limited series with only 4 episodes. The first episode is pretty slow but the suspense builds with each episode to a finally that will shock you, unless you figure it out.

One thing I don't like abound movies with aliens coming to earth is that the writers invariable make the government the bad guy, intent on blowing up the aliens before they reach earth or soon after, hiding their existence from the public and killing everyone with knowledge of the event. Maybe the writers in the movie Encounters of a Third Kind were a bit took idealistic. However, I think waiting to see if the aliens are friend or foe seems far more logical than just blowing them up before we know.

Since the series is in German, I suggest you turn on the English audio as reading subtitles in the story might prove to be taxing. To do this, pause the movie and use your down arrow on your remote to show subtitle and closed captions at the bottom of the screen. Choose Other and then English.

Last edited:
I watched it, falling asleep through each and every episode, but finally binged it last weekend.

It was good.

More a psychologic mystery than Sci-FI, Signal is worth watching. The story is about an astronaut that receives a strange message while at the space station. The story would have been an excellent program for the old Twilight TV series. Come to think about it, maybe it was. Wisely the creators made this a limited series with only 4 episodes. The first episode is pretty slow but the suspense builds with each episode to a finally that will shock you, unless you figure it out.

One thing I don't like abound movies with aliens coming to earth is that the writers invariable make the government the bad guy, intent on blowing up the aliens before they reach earth or soon after, hiding their existence from the public and killing everyone with knowledge of the event. Maybe the writers in the movie Encounters of a Third Kind were a bit took idealistic. However, I think waiting to see if the aliens are friend or foe seems far more logical than just blowing them up before we know.

Since the series is in German, I suggest you turn on the English audio as reading subtitles in the story might prove to be taxing. To do this, pause the movie and use your down arrow on your remote to show subtitle and closed captions at the bottom of the screen. Choose Other and then English.

You should watch Shogun on HULU.

I like the Japanese with subtitles better than the English dubbed version.

You should watch Shogun on HULU.

I like the Japanese with subtitles better than the English dubbed version.
I read the book some years ago and it was excellent. The dubbing in The Signal was very good. Tt didn't seem like it was dubbed. I watched a number of dubbed South Korean movies and the quality of dubbing varied a lot. It was so bad in one movie that I turned it off and just read the subtitles.

I read the book some years ago and it was excellent. The dubbing in The Signal was very good. Tt didn't seem like it was dubbed. I watched a number of dubbed South Korean movies and the quality of dubbing varied a lot. It was so bad in one movie that I turned it off and just read the subtitles.
I would much rather watch Sumarai that spoke Japanese than English anyway. It just seems out of place.
I love listening to Japanese men yelling and Japanese women cooing like birds.

I would much rather watch Sumarai that spoke Japanese than English anyway. It just seems out of place.
I love listening to Japanese men yelling and Japanese women cooing like birds.
I have a friend who is South Korean. He claims the subtitles are often very poor translations and dubbing makes it even worse. This is because many phrases used when translated literally does not express the meaning the actor is trying to convey. The translator often tries to come up with other phrases. The dubbers then try to make the translation fit the lip movement which makes it even worse. The best dubbing requires the script writer to rewrite the script for the voice actors.

I’m into Halo , Constellation , and Sexy Beast ( Series not the Movie ) and Masters of the Air . Finished Marlow ( Movie) and Silo and Invasion & Monsignor Spade ,will give Signal a look .

I have a friend who is South Korean. He claims the subtitles are often very poor translations and dubbing makes it even worse. This is because many phrases used when translated literally does not express the meaning the actor is trying to convey. The translator often tries to come up with other phrases. The dubbers then try to make the translation fit the lip movement which makes it even worse. The best dubbing requires the script writer to rewrite the script for the voice actors.
Yeah. There are English words that don't have a word in Japanese.
And Japanese is sort of like Spanish....where they say things backwards from English like describing something. They say Cow Brown, not Brown Cow.

I’m into Halo , Constellation , and Sexy Beast ( Series not the Movie ) and Masters of the Air . Finished Marlow ( Movie) and Silo and Invasion & Monsignor Spade ,will give Signal a lo

I’m into Halo , Constellation , and Sexy Beast ( Series not the Movie ) and Masters of the Air . Finished Marlow ( Movie) and Silo and Invasion & Monsignor Spade ,will give Signal a look .
How was Monsignor Spade? It sounded like there would be a lot of subtitling

Yeah. There are English words that don't have a word in Japanese.
And Japanese is sort of like Spanish....where they say things backwards from English like describing something. They say Cow Brown, not Brown Cow.
I have always believed that subtitling and especially dubbing should be done with help of the scriptwriter and supervised by the director. What is lost in translation can turn a great movie into a mediocre one.

Forum List

Back