Leave The World Behind (Netflix)

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
I knew nothing about this movie going in. I was pleasantly surprised to see there were some A-list actors in it. Julia Roberts, Kevin Bacon, Ethan Hawke. The best surprise is that Mahershala Ali is in it. Ali is not an A-lister, but he's on my personal A-list because whenever he is in a show, you can be sure some weird shit is going to happen.

And boy, does some weird shit happen in this movie. It just gets weirder and weirder.

Julia Roberts plays a very controlling woman married to a schmuck of a husband played by Ethan Hawke. She decided the family needs to go on a little vacation at the ocean and she rents a house over the internet.

This is some house. Absolutely gorgeous. I've actually rented a similar house in the Blue Ridge mountains a few times.

When the weird shit starts happening, the owner of the house (Ali) shows up with his daughter looking for shelter away from the city. Things are getting too weird.

It's hard to describe this movie without spoilers. It is described as an "apocalyptic movie", which it is, but with a different flavor than the usual apocalyptic movie. I will just say it is one of the best movies I've seen on Netflix in a while.

I hope Elon Musk has a sense of humor, because for about 60 seconds this movie turns into a video game where Julia Roberts and her family have to dodge oncoming Teslas. :lol:

When the movie finishes, it does not tie up any loose ends. It just leaves you hanging, but I was okay with that. It's nice to let your imagination do some heavy lifting as to what happens next.

Also, Julia Roberts is a terrible dancer. Almost as bad as Elaine Benes (Seinfeld reference). Roberts looks like a hamster climbing its cage when she dances. Ugh!

Last edited:
We thought about this one, but chose Flower Moon instead... probably watch it soon.
Next weekend we are going to see the group "Home Free"... so won't be then.

I enjoyed the movie, interesting spin on how the end of the world would happen

Once again, conservatives are pissed because Obama was an Executive Producer

I enjoyed it. I hated the way it left you hanging though.
I did some googling and the books author didnt even know the answers. I thought that was kind of dumb, but whatever.

I enjoyed it. I hated the way it left you hanging though.
I did some googling and the books author didnt even know the answers. I thought that was kind of dumb, but whatever.

To me, the scene with the young daughter in the fully stocked bomb shelter showed how it would end

The very first scene gave a hint.
That this was not a well written script.
The very first lines by Julia Roberts character...are unrealistic to say the least. I said to the wife... "said no one ever"
No one talks like that.
The sex role reversals continued throughout the film gets pretty ridiculous.
Women control everything, and the men who do control their environment - are gun toting maniacs (played by Kevin Bacon)
When danger is presented, it is Julie Roberts character that goes out to investigate, not the husband.
She makes every decision, while her schmuck ultra beta male is either too stupid or too weak to think for himself, and always goes along.
She shushes him, berates him, controls him... and he just goes along.

Don't expect realistic occurrences or outcomes. Like I said, the writing is absurd. The U.S. military evidently just doesn't exist. They must have vanished somehow.

The movie, with all of it's faults and messaging, keeps you interested. You want to know what is going to happen. And the end of the movie arrives. Only to present you with another absurd outcome that would never happen, just as all of the events in the movie will never happen.

The very first scene gave a hint.
That this was not a well written script.
The very first lines by Julia Roberts character...are unrealistic to say the least. I said to the wife... "said no one ever"
No one talks like that.
The sex role reversals continued throughout the film gets pretty ridiculous.
Women control everything, and the men who do control their environment - are gun toting maniacs (played by Kevin Bacon)
When danger is presented, it is Julie Roberts character that goes out to investigate, not the husband.
She makes every decision, while her schmuck ultra beta male is either too stupid or too weak to think for himself, and always goes along.
She shushes him, berates him, controls him... and he just goes along.

Don't expect realistic occurrences or outcomes. Like I said, the writing is absurd. The U.S. military evidently just doesn't exist. They must have vanished somehow.

The movie, with all of it's faults and messaging, keeps you interested. You want to know what is going to happen. And the end of the movie arrives. Only to present you with another absurd outcome that would never happen, just as all of the events in the movie will never happen.

Ethan Hawke was a weak character and Julia Roberts was dominant but annoying as hell

What I didn’t understand was where all the people went?
That area of Long Island is densely populated yet there was nobody on the roads. No abandoned cars, no dead bodies. The main characters vehicles all worked but there were no other vehicles on the road other than Teslas

Ethan Hawke was a weak character and Julia Roberts was dominant but annoying as hell

What I didn’t understand was where all the people went?
That area of Long Island is densely populated yet there was nobody on the roads. No abandoned cars, no dead bodies. The main characters vehicles all worked but there were no other vehicles on the road other than Teslas
It was poorly written, I don't like it when the movie forces you to constantly suppress reality, which reminds you that this is just a movie. No matter how fantastical a story is, it must be believable.
This story has almost nothing believable in it. To me the movie keeps promising that it's going to get good soon, but never really does. Instead it keeps presenting weird side stories like deers wanting to attack people. WTF was that?? And an insect bite that makes your teeth fall out. What? There is no insect in the world that does that... why was that in the movie??
I could go on. And on.
Perhaps it is the performance of Roberts that keeps you wanting to watch, but the story line is simply and laughably dumb.

And an insect bite that makes your teeth fall out. What? There is no insect in the world that does that... why was that in the movie??

Near the end of the movie, when the daughter is in that house, they revealed that people were dying from radiation.
I suspect the sons teeth fell out because of radiation poisoning. I don’t understand what the insect bite had to do with it.

Near the end of the movie, when the daughter is in that house, they revealed that people were dying from radiation.
I suspect the sons teeth fell out because of radiation poisoning. I don’t understand what the insect bite had to do with it.
Radiation coming from what? They didn't drop nukes. They didn't explode any nukes in the atmosphere either. The home owner made some reference to a "microwave weapon"... only problem with that is microwaves emit a type of radiation that is harmless.
Not trying to sound like an asshole, but the only people who could watch this movie and not see all the script loopholes and ridiculous circumstances are people with IQs less than 100.
The producers must think the population is a bunch of idiots.

Radiation coming from what? They didn't drop nukes. They didn't explode any nukes in the atmosphere either. The home owner made some reference to a "microwave weapon"... only problem with that is microwaves emit a type of radiation that is harmless.
Not trying to sound like an asshole, but the only people who could watch this movie and not see all the script loopholes and ridiculous circumstances are people with IQs less than 100.
The producers must think the population is a bunch of idiots.
I think what they got right was the effects of denial of internet, cell phone, GPS, radio, TV

They did have those loud noise events without explaining the impact, they mentioned radiation and that cuban embassy event where workers got sick.

I still can’t figure where all the people and cars went.
That area of Long Island is densely populated. The roads always have cars on them, it is a short walk to other houses.
Yet the only other people are Kevin Bacon and the crazy Mexican lady.

Their power stays on. Rumor was NYC was in blackout, riots, mayhem. They live normal just across the river even going to the store. That’s only one bit of hollyweird stupidity. The dumbing down of America is off the charts.

Forum List

Back