Massive Twister Hitting OKC

am I right when I have heard that even brick homes are no match for an F4 and higher? I am just curious if most homes along the path were toppled regardless of structure. Being a Floridian, pretty much most new homes here are built with cement/cylinder blocks.

The Joplin tornado happened on a Sunday. We were there on Saturday, the day before. I have photos of the hospital (I forget how many stories tall it was) that show how it was actually moved off center by the force of the tornado.

My oral surgeon went to play golf, decided to go by his office to do a little work but didn't tell anyone he was there. The tornado destroyed the office building he was in. He was buried in the rubble, he cell phone had disappeared and he literally dug his way out.

When our lake house was hit a couple of years ago, we were in Paris. Our neighbor called us there so we didn't see the damage for almost three more weeks. We have a separate little house we use for our weight and work out equipment and have huge and very heavy copper tiles on that roof. The tiles were gone and tree branches were forced through screening just a few feet away.

The amazing part is that between those two things - the missing copper tiles and the tree branches - hanging plants and hummingbird feeders were untouched. We have a caretaker tenant down the hill from us and he didn't even know there was a tornado until we called him. Not very far from his place, there were huge oak trees, just snapped off.

Those tiles are really expensive and we managed to find all but a few.

About tornado-proofing. I don't that anything is but the way we built this house makes it very resistant. And, we have a huge closet in the master bedroom that was built to be a safe room.

Watching footage from this tornado - my heart just breaks for those people.

Just saw footage of children being found alive and SAR dogs searching for more.

And, this -
http://gawker.com/oklahoma-tornado-..._source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

a twister can throw a 2x4 up to 200MPH. thats what kills. flying and falling debris.

should be a code. not an option

Atlas Safe Rooms Promotional Video - YouTube
Excellent video for home safety, and if people can't afford them in the areas of need, then they should be able to submit a form showing that they own the home or for the homeowner that may be renting the home also, to the government for a subsidy to be provided in order to equip the home with such a room as would be needed and necessary. The government could have a map of the most volatile paths in which these areas do experience this activity in year after year, and they could help those who are in these allies or pathways in which such activity is strong in with a subsidy provided.

Yes a code should be implemented making it mandatory for all new homes to be built with this as a standard in them when being built out in the Midwest where this stuff is bad. Outside of the most volatile areas it could be optional to homeowners who live in their homes or are building a home, but home renters may have to abide by the code for new apartment buildings and/or such to have some sort of protection provided for their renters.

We just need to make changes, and we need to get the best ideas going for those changes to take place.

i am truly amazed, three deadly tornados followed nearly the same path.., look at this map:

Interactive Map: 1999, 2003, 2013 Moore Tornadoes | KFOR.com

people never seem to learn from history !!

i am terribly sorry for the deaths of all those people.., GOD rest their souls.

I was just thinking the same thing! Maybe it's time to move the town.
Or fortify it properly when rebuilt, I mean there is the evidence needed right ? Yes some of these areas may need to actually go back to bare land for grazing animals and such, just like some beaches need to go back to being bare beaches in some areas where danger is always wiping those places out as well. Hard to hold back a human wave though (population explosion), and this has been a back and forth forever in this nation it seems.

Last edited:
The impression I've gotten from people who live there or have lived there...they can't dig effective cellars because of the water table...makes me wonder if that's why we heard last night that the kids killed in the Elementary School drowned.

It's the red clay soil. We have the same problem up here. When the red clay gets wet, it swells.

What is an "Expansive Soil"?

Expansive soils contain minerals such as smectite clays that are capable of absorbing water. When they absorb water they increase in volume. The more water they absorb the more their volume increases. Expansions of ten percent or more are not uncommon. This change in volume can exert enough force on a building or other structure to cause damage.

Cracked foundations, floors and basement walls are typical types of damage done by swelling soils. Damage to the upper floors of the building can occur when motion in the structure is significant.

Expansive soils will also shrink when they dry out. This shrinkage can remove support from buildings or other structures and result in damaging subsidence. Fissures in the soil can also develop. These fissures can facilitate the deep penetration of water when moist conditions or runoff occurs. This produces a cycle of shrinkage and swelling that places repetitive stress on structures.

Expansive Soil | Basement & Foundation Problems | GEOLOGY.com

237 injuries they know of. Death numbers not confirmed as some bodies may have been taken to funeral homes, instead of medical examiner.

Don't worry. Anderson Cooper has arrived and is now reporting from the debris. All will be well now and the town is saved!!!!!:clap2:

Believe it or not..Oklahoma will eventually have to go to the "big bad government" for help.

God yes. Goodbtw more of my tax dollars.

In the areas like this that have had a history of many hits by tornados, it would be wise to use concrete domes for school buildings.

Or to not live somewhere that gets leveled every few years.

i am truly amazed, three deadly tornados followed nearly the same path.., look at this map:

How are tornadoes hitting tornado alley amazing?

Don't worry. Anderson Cooper has arrived and is now reporting from the debris. All will be well now and the town is saved!!!!!:clap2:

Believe it or not..Oklahoma will eventually have to go to the "big bad government" for help.

God yes. Goodbtw more of my tax dollars.

In the areas like this that have had a history of many hits by tornados, it would be wise to use concrete domes for school buildings.

Where are going to live that does not get hit by some form of natural disaster now and again?

This was extremely odd for the same city to be hit 3 times by tornados, most Cities, towns have never been hit in decades, if ever.

Don't blow this oddity out of proportion.

05_20_2013_tornado-track-2011.jpg

So should we all live in the desert then? Oh wait those areas are susceptible to fire.

163405main_wildfire_map_lg.jpg

So politico, where should we go where you won't have to worry about your pocket book being effected when a natural disaster hits?

This was a terrible tragedy but we Okies will pick up the pieces, help the needy, and we will move on. We will never forget those that were lost but it won't hold us down... Guess we're just made of tougher stuff.

Forum List

Back