Massive Twister Hitting OKC

I am wonderng why school was open today? Did not tornados hit yesterday in the area? And why doesn't the schools have basements?

Lots of people trying to get in there. Some to looky loo..some to offer help..some who actually came home from work to discover their house is gone..or their kid was in one of the schools, or the spouse was home with the baby, or to check on their pets....all are being turned away. Got news for them....nothing and nobody would stop me from going HOME..whether it is there or not. I would find another way in.
They need to check drivers licenses and if they live there, they can go in.
What if someone was coming home from work in OKcity and live in Moore and their kids were in school? They ae not allowed in???

The Governor said she's looking to see how old the school is. It's code to be better set up than what they were

In the areas like this that have had a history of many hits by tornados, it would be wise to use concrete domes for school buildings. Such domes have been hit by F-5 tornados, and suffered only minor damage. Costly, yes, but how much are our children worth to us?

At least 20 children dead so far :(

I HOPE when they rebuild they make damn sure there is a fallout shelter at schools!

These things give very little warning. This one sounds like one of those that there would not have been time to get the kids to a shelter.

warning has got better since when i was a kid

back then it was

-look there is a TORNADO RUN

Listening to the news this morning it sounds like they had little warning. Some are saying they had only a few minutes to prepare, but who knows at this point how much warning they actually had.

These things give very little warning. This one sounds like one of those that there would not have been time to get the kids to a shelter.

back then it was

Listening to the news this morning it sounds like they had little warning. Some are saying they had only a few minutes to prepare, but who knows at this point how much warning they actually had.

16 minutes is a helluva long time, IMO

Though it is a really short time to mobilize an entire school to evacuate an ill-prepared structure

back then it was

Though it is a really short time to mobilize an entire school to evacuate an ill-prepared structure

16 minutes does seem adequate time, especially if drills were practiced. Report I heard was a couple saying they had 2 minutes to get into their basement. So I am probably wrong.

16 minutes does seem adequate time, especially if drills were practiced. Report I heard was a couple saying they had 2 minutes to get into their basement. So I am probably wrong.

Different areas may have had different amounts of warning time.
16 is the number I heard from "Shep"

im sure that in the beginning that some folks

had only a couple of minutes

It dropped around 2:50 and reached Moore around 3:15. Tried to go out and help last night but was shooed away... It's devastating! I am at a loss for words.

dneddi.jpg

yet another reason to outlaw slab homes. to the states credit they now require a "safe room" in all new home construction.

back then it was

16 minutes from warning then notification to teachers cuts it even further.

The impression I've gotten from people who live there or have lived there...they can't dig effective cellars because of the water table...makes me wonder if that's why we heard last night that the kids killed in the Elementary School drowned.

The impression I've gotten from people who live there or have lived there...they can't dig effective cellars because of the water table...makes me wonder if that's why we heard last night that the kids killed in the Elementary School drowned.

I lived in a house, in Okc, that had a basement... Not sure how long it had been there but the walls were bulging out to the point it was hard to walk down the stairs. Also, it was constantly flooded.

I have family there that just last year put in a cellar. I heard a water main broke. I also question whether they actually drowned. They could have been killed when the roof and wall collapsed. We will have to see. I assume they assumed since they were found in the water. I just pray however it was it was quick.

Good morning all! I am new to this forum. Actually came to discuss the Jodi Arias Trial. But today, my thoughts and prayers are directed toward all the many families who have been affected by this horrible & tragic act of Mother Nature! I am glued to the TV & internet keeping hope alive that they will be able to locate survivors in that elementary school. All things are possible, right! :eusa_pray: Well, thank you for allowing me to share my feelings this morning! God bless and remember to hug your children today! Now back to the trial!

med eaminer said original numbers may be much lower. Possibly down to 24 for first initial number that was 51.

Isn't Norman the town that had no working sirens in 1999 when they were hit with a huge tornado?

Why wouldn't they have reinforced at least the schools with some sort of shelter.

I'd have to think twice before I put a kid in a school that was so poorly built.

Impossible to build a school able to withstand an EF-4/EF-5 tornado. The only alternative is to build an underground tornado shelter. Doubt most school systems could afford to build that.

If it's a new build, it shouldn't be very expensive. To try adding one to an existing school would be extremely expensive.
The sad thing I think is this, I mean when one really thinks about it. So here we are sitting on the most vast and far more reaching amounts of resources in this nation than Nazi Germany had at it's disposal during world war two, but was Hitler scared to pour a little bit of concrete where he felt the next man made storm would come ?

We also have far more natural resources then Germany does currently have at it's disposal in peace time or that England had or has at it's disposal during or after the war, but it's always this b/c of we can't afford this, or we can't afford that in America, and so we see these kinds of situations over and over again in America, even though we are one of the wealthiest nations on earth still or up to this very day when it comes to our natural resources, but we can't afford, no we can't afford is all you hear out of these money and resource hoarders we have controlling this nation. Oh wait I know what it is, it's that the people aren't respected enough to spend that kind of effort and resources on is what it is eh Mr. Government and/or rich class warfare men in control of everything? Is that what it is ? Or is it that we always feel we are broke because we are holding up vast amounts of citizens whom don't work, won't work even if it was in a job in a pie factory or mattress testing facility? Oh that's right all those jobs and there facilities have been outsourced my bad. Or is it because of us giving millions upon millions or billions to our enemies abroad maybe ? Not to worry though, because nothing will change, as this nation doesn't respect it's citizens enough anymore to make anything change in this respect. All I can say is that Hitler at least wasn't scared to pour a little concrete to protect his troops and his nation, just as Churchill wasn't afraid to do the same for his people in his nation, so lets all chew on that one for a while in comparison of. Man made storms or natural occurring storms there all the same, we have to protect ourselves from them, and you know what, God gave us the wits to do so, and so why aren't we using those wits or wisdom given unto us ?

Last edited:
a twister can throw a 2x4 up to 200MPH. thats what kills. flying and falling debris.

should be a code. not an option

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J34uH6cPXjk&feature=player_embedded]Atlas Safe Rooms Promotional Video - YouTube[/ame]

I lived in a house, in Okc, that had a basement... Not sure how long it had been there but the walls were bulging out to the point it was hard to walk down the stairs. Also, it was constantly flooded.
None of these things would be a problem if the government was to put it's engineers to work on plans to affectively put shelters in these public school buildings, and mainly in the allies in which are so volatile and dangerous all the time in these areas, and soon expand such a program to encompass all schools over a long period of time to have the same accommodating shelters according to their needs in their areas as well, but a shelter none the less. We think to small in America (makes me wonder how we ever won the wars or rather helped to win them as we did), so it seems we have lost our respect for the safety of our citizens and possibly our citizens in general in some sort of class warfare era in which we have been subjected to for so long now. Due to this it seems that nothing gets done that we need to get done, and sadly I think this is a huge part of the problem in which I speak to in these post.

Last edited:
It's time to bring out the engineers, draw up the plans, and get to pouring some cement is what I say...Oh that's right I am a knee jerk reactionary type (a threat to our countries resources and the environment), so just give it a little time and I will settle back down just like the graves settle, and it will soon all just go away right ?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back