Massive Twister Hitting OKC

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZBUY2dQuK94]Oklahoma tornado survivor finds dog buried alive under rubble - YouTube[/ame]

and now a "Certain Demorat" is blaming republicans on the cause of the tornado? did any of you hear his statement last night? or was it earlier today ? It was played on Sean Hannity's radio show.

and now a "Certain Demorat" is blaming republicans on the cause of the tornado? did any of you hear his statement last night? or was it earlier today ? It was played on Sean Hannity's radio show.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) blames Republicans for Oklahoma Tornado

link

If the Republicans can control the weather, damn, they're a shoe in for 2016!

What a boob

link

If the Republicans can control the weather, damn, they're a shoe in for 2016!

What a boob

2013-04-17-No-More-Names-Gun-Violence-DSC_0041.jpg

just another liberal retard ready for the rubber room. moron

The impression I've gotten from people who live there or have lived there...they can't dig effective cellars because of the water table...makes me wonder if that's why we heard last night that the kids killed in the Elementary School drowned.

It's the red clay soil. We have the same problem up here. When the red clay gets wet, it swells.

What is an "Expansive Soil"?

Expansive soils contain minerals such as smectite clays that are capable of absorbing water. When they absorb water they increase in volume. The more water they absorb the more their volume increases. Expansions of ten percent or more are not uncommon. This change in volume can exert enough force on a building or other structure to cause damage.

Cracked foundations, floors and basement walls are typical types of damage done by swelling soils. Damage to the upper floors of the building can occur when motion in the structure is significant.

Expansive soils will also shrink when they dry out. This shrinkage can remove support from buildings or other structures and result in damaging subsidence. Fissures in the soil can also develop. These fissures can facilitate the deep penetration of water when moist conditions or runoff occurs. This produces a cycle of shrinkage and swelling that places repetitive stress on structures.

Expansive Soil | Basement & Foundation Problems | GEOLOGY.com
Good stuff, but engineers have many ways around this sort of problem, and if they run out of ideas there are many in the world who can help out with some answers, but it can get done if the respect is there enough to get it done. If the Netherlands can stop the Ocean or slow it down with those flood gates they installed, then Oklahoma & others can protect themselves from tornados out in the Midwest. First we have to get by the death panel mentality that has arisen in this nation, then we might can move to make all peoples worthy again in this nation in order for them to get the help that they may need as found within these sorts of matters.

Last edited:

link

I ask Mr. Whitehouse exactly how did the republicans make the tornado?

The impression I've gotten from people who live there or have lived there...they can't dig effective cellars because of the water table...makes me wonder if that's why we heard last night that the kids killed in the Elementary School drowned.

It's the red clay soil. We have the same problem up here. When the red clay gets wet, it swells.

Expansive soils contain minerals such as smectite clays that are capable of absorbing water. When they absorb water they increase in volume. The more water they absorb the more their volume increases. Expansions of ten percent or more are not uncommon. This change in volume can exert enough force on a building or other structure to cause damage.

Cracked foundations, floors and basement walls are typical types of damage done by swelling soils. Damage to the upper floors of the building can occur when motion in the structure is significant.

Expansive soils will also shrink when they dry out. This shrinkage can remove support from buildings or other structures and result in damaging subsidence. Fissures in the soil can also develop. These fissures can facilitate the deep penetration of water when moist conditions or runoff occurs. This produces a cycle of shrinkage and swelling that places repetitive stress on structures.

Good stuff, but engineers have many ways around this sort of problem, and if they run out of ideas there are many in the world who can help out with some answers, but it can get done if the respect is there enough to get it done. If the Netherlands can stop the Ocean or slow it down with those flood gates they installed, then Oklahoma & others can protect themselves from tornados out in the Midwest. First we have to get by the death panel mentality that has arisen in this nation, then we might can move to make all peoples worthy again in this nation in order for them to get the help that they may need as found within these sorts of matters.

It's a legitimate argument. You could, for example, look at how areas with permafrost deals with their problems when they make basements, but you are looking at adding a great deal of expense to homes for an event that is rare.

The ocean is always there. The permafrost is always there, tornados are random events.

I saw the map earlier showing tornado paths over the years. The truth so that the map is filled in way to much. Most tornados are less than 100 yards wide. Any one would not even show on that map, combine them all, and they would barely be seen.

I agree we need better warning and tracking. That is probably going to save far more lives then any "room" will save. Remember, a lot of people who die in these storms have a safe place to go, they simply can't or won't go to them.

Well I see that the death total went down to 24 and 9 of those were kids. It was good to see the number go down instead of up like most were expecting. Has there been any update on those still missing? I havnt been able to keep up with it much today.

Last edited:

It's a legitimate argument. You could, for example, look at how areas with permafrost deals with their problems when they make basements, but you are looking at adding a great deal of expense to homes for an event that is rare.

The ocean is always there. The permafrost is always there, tornados are random events.

I saw the map earlier showing tornado paths over the years. The truth so that the map is filled in way to much. Most tornados are less than 100 yards wide. Any one would not even show on that map, combine them all, and they would barely be seen.

I agree we need better warning and tracking. That is probably going to save far more lives then any "room" will save. Remember, a lot of people who die in these storms have a safe place to go, they simply can't or won't go to them.
Not talking about homes per-sae, but mainly I'm talking about the schools and the code in which they need to make some definite changes in order to make the towns people and their children safer when go there if they have to, and this in the event of a storm like this. Also yes that coupled with better warning systems or to better educate ourselves on such events and how to warn people upon them quicker and better. If the wind blew sideways for more than what I think it should, I would be thinking in those areas at this time of the year where's the shelter? Even Dorothy had a shelter to get in during the 1930's, or was that just dreamed up for that movie, and then added to it for the hec of it ? (grinning)

Last edited:
Well I see that the death total went down to 24 and 9 of those were kids. It was good to see the number go down instead of up like most were expecting. Has there been any update on those still missing? I havnt been able to keep up with it much today.
That happened because of the confusion of the aftermath. The numbers were accidentally double counted.

The only other report I have heard today is that all the children in those schools have been accounted for, one way or the other.

Not talking about homes per-sae, but mainly I'm talking about the schools and the code in which they need to make some definite changes in order to make the towns people and their children safer when go there if they have to, and this in the event of a storm like this. Also yes that coupled with better warning systems or to better educate ourselves on such events and how to warn people upon them quicker and better. If the wind blew sideways for more than what I think it should, I would be thinking in those areas at this time of the year where's the shelter? Even Dorothy had a shelter to get in during the 1930's, or was that just dreamed up for that movie, and then added to it for the hec of it ? (grinning)
Well, in order for a school of any size to hold a subterranean shelter (the only way to survive an EF-5) the shelter would be as large as a gym. That would make it weak and susceptible to collapse. Maybe a series of rooms that could hold 25 to 30 people, all interconnected, might work. It is an engineering problem to be sure.

I have heard that this place is known as Tornado Alley. Why would you live there if there were so many tornados?

I have heard that this place is known as Tornado Alley. Why would you live there if there were so many tornados?

tornado ally is a big area

the areas in between the rocky mountains and appalachian mountains

Forum List

Back