Marines discharge sergeant for Facebook posts

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
The Associated Press: Marines discharge sergeant for Facebook posts

By ELLIOT SPAGAT, Associated Press – 10 minutes ago
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A sergeant will be discharged for criticizing President Barack Obama on Facebook in a case that called into question the Pentagon's policies about social media and its limits on the speech of active duty military personnel, the Marine Corps said Wednesday.
Sgt. Gary Stein will get an other-than-honorable discharge and lose most of his benefits for violating the policies, the Corps said.
The San Diego-area Marine who has served nine years in the Corps said he was disappointed by the decision. He argued that he was exercising his constitutional rights to free speech.
"I love the Marine Corps, I love my job. I wish it wouldn't have gone this way. I'm having a hard time seeing how 15 words on Facebook could have ruined my nine-year career," he told The Associated Press.
<more>

The Associated Press: Marines discharge sergeant for Facebook posts

By ELLIOT SPAGAT, Associated Press – 10 minutes ago
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A sergeant will be discharged for criticizing President Barack Obama on Facebook in a case that called into question the Pentagon's policies about social media and its limits on the speech of active duty military personnel, the Marine Corps said Wednesday.
Sgt. Gary Stein will get an other-than-honorable discharge and lose most of his benefits for violating the policies, the Corps said.
The San Diego-area Marine who has served nine years in the Corps said he was disappointed by the decision. He argued that he was exercising his constitutional rights to free speech.
"I love the Marine Corps, I love my job. I wish it wouldn't have gone this way. I'm having a hard time seeing how 15 words on Facebook could have ruined my nine-year career," he told The Associated Press.
<more>

You'd expect someone who's had a 9 year career in the Marines would have a better understanding of the UCMJ.

I'm betting he'll have a right wing talk radio show by the end of the year.

Actually I disagreed with the judgement. I read this guys face book posts and he was on the line but I didn't feel that he crossed it. Of course I am not privy to everything that happened or was said in the court room. I've always tried to tell people that you give up your rights while in the military. Maybe now people will understand that...........

Actually I disagreed with the judgement. I read this guys face book posts and he was on the line but I didn't feel that he crossed it. Of course I am not privy to everything that happened or was said in the court room. I've always tried to tell people that you give up your rights while in the military. Maybe now people will understand that...........

"Screw Obama and I will not follow all orders from him."

You don't think that crosses the line?

Marine Corps discharges sergeant for Facebook posts critical of Obama

A sergeant will be discharged for criticizing President Obama on Facebook in a case that called into question the Pentagon's policies about social media and its limits on the speech of active duty military personnel, the Marine Corps said Wednesday.

Gary Kreep, an attorney for Stein, said he would pursue administrative appeals within the Marine Corps but anticipates the effort will fail. He said he planned to file an amended complaint in federal court.

"As long as he wants to pursue this, we will be supporting him," said Kreep, who is executive director of the United States Justice Foundation, an advocacy group.

The Marines acted after saying Stein stated March 1 on a Facebook page used by Marine meteorologists, "Screw Obama and I will not follow all orders from him." Stein later clarified that statement, saying he would not follow unlawful orders...

Read more: Marine Corps discharges sergeant for Facebook posts critical of Obama | Fox News

Marine Corps discharges sergeant for Facebook posts critical of Obama

A sergeant will be discharged for criticizing President Obama on Facebook in a case that called into question the Pentagon's policies about social media and its limits on the speech of active duty military personnel, the Marine Corps said Wednesday.

Gary Kreep, an attorney for Stein, said he would pursue administrative appeals within the Marine Corps but anticipates the effort will fail. He said he planned to file an amended complaint in federal court.

"As long as he wants to pursue this, we will be supporting him," said Kreep, who is executive director of the United States Justice Foundation, an advocacy group.

The Marines acted after saying Stein stated March 1 on a Facebook page used by Marine meteorologists, "Screw Obama and I will not follow all orders from him." Stein later clarified that statement, saying he would not follow unlawful orders...

Read more: Marine Corps discharges sergeant for Facebook posts critical of Obama | Fox News

You mean the Marine Corps is kicking a Marine out for criticizing the Commander in Chief.

With Facebook like social sites becoming the norm, I see military members stepping in it like this happening every once in a while in the future.

"Screw Obama and I will not follow all orders from him."

You don't think that crosses the line?

That statement was over the line. However is it a other than honorable discharge worthy? A marine who has served in combat? I wouldn't think so. Especially when he goes on to admit it was over the line and clarifies it in later posts as he would not follow illegal orders. Which of course all troops are obligated to do. Anyway He'll have another day in court yet

Did Obama really need to have the guy kicked out? I mean, the guy has served bravely for 9yrs. There had to have been a more resonable punishment. This seems way too harsh in my opinion.

Did Obama really need to have the guy kicked out? I mean, the guy has served bravely for 9yrs. There had to have been a more resonable punishment. This seems way too harsh in my opinion.

The Marine Corps kicked him out...as was proper. But then again, you never served and have no concept of what one can and cannot do in the military.

Good for obama. that's one less marine we don't need no damn marines anyways.

I can't help but wonder how much a part in this who is president plays with many people.
Had this happened while Bush was president would many have felt the same way?

heck I was called unamerican and a traitor for not supporting his invasion of Iraq.

I wondered how long it would take for some radical rabid rw to blame the president for a RULE that has been in place since the CIVIL WAR.

Okay, all you other rw's ---

PILE ON!

Let's make up some new Obama lies and send them all over the internet.

UCMJ
The general article (Article 134) authorizes the prosecution of offenses not specifically detailed by any other article: all disorders and neglects to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces, all conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces, and crimes and offenses not capital, of which persons subject to this chapter may be guilty. Clause 1 of the article involves disorders and neglect "to the prejudice of good order and discipline in the armed forces." Clause 2 involves "conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces."

This Marine mentioned in this article knew who the CIC was and also knew that making political statements that were contrary to the good order and discipline of the Armed Forces was a violation of the UCMJ of which he was subject to discipline under regardless of what those statements were. As he was on Active duty before this President was in office and also served under a previous one, in which he was not disciplined for this, he knew what was at stake for doing so. Every person in the Military know's that if you don't like the Boss in the White House, you don't make that known to the world while on Active duty regardless of who that is. While his service is to be respected this mistake has little to do with the man in the White House and more to do with a Marine being disciplined under the UCMJ for knowingly making political statements that were critical of the Chain of Command, in this case the CIC.

President Obama had nothing to do with this.

READ the title of the op. See where it says "MARINES discharge ... "?

Learn wtf you're yammering about before you pop off and show just how incredibly stupid you are.

I should probably be a bit more diplomatic but I'm in no mood for the stupidity of the right wingers tonight.

Last edited:

Learn wtf you're yammering about before you pop off and show just how incredibly stupid you are.

I should probably be a bit more diplomatic but I'm in no mood for the stupidity of the right wingers tonight.

oh,, he's not the cic? I get it..then the marine should not be punished.

oh,, he's not the cic? I get it..then the marine should not be punished.

Poor WillowTree. Has no concept on the UCMJ and how the Military operates. Forgive her her ignorance.

Forum List

Back