Marines discharge sergeant for Facebook posts

Yeah, it's very sad. Surely there were other ways of dealing with this. A Discharge is an extreme over-reaction. Shame on the Commander in Chief.

Do you think that the discharge order came from the CiC?

Two faced rw's ... I can just imagine if the president were to step into a military decision if it was something that fux/beck/lushbo told them not to agree with.

They'd be yowling and screeching about how Obama should let the military deal with their own. BUT, they never pass up a chance to LIE about President Obama.

Hopefully the American People will Discharge your Dear Leader this November.

thinking is not one of his activities

He put his life on the line to defend your freedom of speech, dummy. He deserved better than this. So be a smug little pissant if you want. But you should at least thank him for defending your right to be a smug little pissant. He deserves that much.

Are you really this dense?

While in the service, he does not have the luxury of "freedom of speech". Its a fact of military life and has been for even longer than your candidate has been sucking air.

This was not done on a whim. He's not being singled out or punished for something he didn't do. He does not belong in the military if he cannot obey military law.

One more time - President Obama had nothing to do with this.

Get it?

Poor guy signs up to fight and possibly die to preserve Citizens' Freedom & Liberty, and this is how he's treated. WTG Obama. I hope the Country discharges you this November.

You idiot. Are you now going to say that Obama was alive during the Civil War when this rule was enacted? You really think this was Obama's doing? Jeeezus - get a friggin clue.

Ollie
Yes that's me, who else? And I served 22 years on active duty. And I still say that an other than honorable in this case is overkill. I'd even be willing to bet he gets it changed to an honorable within a year. I doubt he will ever be able to re-enlist but his career goals were over anyway.....

You think this rule should be changed for this one soldier? A rule that has stood since the Civil War???

I'm sorry, but maybe you do not understand that the General who made this decision could have given a lesser penalty. He did not have to give an other than Honorable discharge to a guy for one statement. The man's career was over as son as the investigation started, they did not have to take all his benefits. Now had it been an actual crime with an actual victim, then that would have been a whole different story. Had he stated that the Corps felt the same way, that would have been different. But this is one guy letting off steam and made one statement that crossed the line. A man who for over nine years had no disciplinary actions in his record. I could even accept a Discharge under honorable conditions. But this just threw the mans life away for nothing.

Yes, well said. Thank you.

Two faced rw's ... I can just imagine if the president were to step into a military decision if it was something that fux/beck/lushbo told them not to agree with.

They'd be yowling and screeching about how Obama should let the military deal with their own. BUT, they never pass up a chance to LIE about President Obama.

Hopefully the American People will Discharge your Dear Leader this November.

You can always tell when pauly FINALLY gets it.

He changes the subject.

Congrats Paul. I'm very happy for you - that you finally see that this was an internal action of the Marine Corp and had nothing at all to do with President Obama.

Whew.

Poor guy signs up to fight and possibly die to preserve Citizens' Freedom & Liberty, and this is how he's treated. WTG Obama. I hope the Country discharges you this November.

You idiot. Are you now going to say that Obama was alive during the Civil War when this rule was enacted? You really think this was Obama's doing? Jeeezus - get a friggin clue.

Ollie
Yes that's me, who else? And I served 22 years on active duty. And I still say that an other than honorable in this case is overkill. I'd even be willing to bet he gets it changed to an honorable within a year. I doubt he will ever be able to re-enlist but his career goals were over anyway.....

You think this rule should be changed for this one soldier? A rule that has stood since the Civil War???

I'm sorry, but maybe you do not understand that the General who made this decision could have given a lesser penalty. He did not have to give an other than Honorable discharge to a guy for one statement. The man's career was over as son as the investigation started, they did not have to take all his benefits. Now had it been an actual crime with an actual victim, then that would have been a whole different story. Had he stated that the Corps felt the same way, that would have been different. But this is one guy letting off steam and made one statement that crossed the line. A man who for over nine years had no disciplinary actions in his record. I could even accept a Discharge under honorable conditions. But this just threw the mans life away for nothing.

"One Statement"?

"One posting brought up during a recent hearing showed President Obama's face superimposed on a jackass, the Associated Press reported.
Another document brought forward in an earlier proceeding revealed that Stein posted on a Marine meteorology and oceanographic Facebook page March 23, "As an active Marine I say, 'Screw Obama' and I will not follow orders from him."
There were at least four other times a U.S. attorney told Stein to tone down his "inflammatory" political comments. His lawyers say the possibility of discharge is "absurd" and "heavy handed." Stein's lawyers say the Marine Corps is trying to "railroad a good Marine out of the Corps" for expressing his First Amendment rights.
After Stein posted objections to Obama's health care policy and encouraged others to go against the orders of superiors if they disagreed with the actions, the U.S. Marine Corps decided to reconsider a previous decision to not take punitive action against him.
The military started monitoring Stein's Facebook group after he posted his stance against prosecuting Americans for burning the Quran in Afghanistan."

U.S. News - Marine who criticized President Obama on Facebook to be discharged

He put his life on the line to defend your freedom of speech, dummy. He deserved better than this. So be a smug little pissant if you want. But you should at least thank him for defending your right to be a smug little pissant. He deserves that much.

While in the service, he does not have the luxury of "freedom of speech". Its a fact of military life and has been for even longer than your candidate has been sucking air.

This was not done on a whim. He's not being singled out or punished for something he didn't do. He does not belong in the military if he cannot obey military law.

Get it?

Whatever, Obamabot. I'm sure if your BOOOOSH Boogeyman was in there, you would have the complete opposite opinion. You're very dishonest. This kid deserved better than this. Shame on you and your Dear Leader.

Ollie - read my posts. I never said anything of the kind.

What I have said, over and over, is that this was and is a military matter. NOT a function of the president or of any civilian office.

Get it?

Whatever, Obamabot. I'm sure if your BOOOOSH Boogeyman was in there, you would have the complete opposite opinion. You're very dishonest. This kid deserved better than this. Shame on you and your Dear Leader.

Oh please. You're just upset because you were hoping you could start another Obama Lie.

He broke the rules of the military and he is now playing the price.

That's all I have said and you were too damn dumb to see or admit that the president is not and was not involved.

Nothing "dishonest" about facts. Deal with it.

:rofl:

i was talking about you, asshat

:thup:

Ok there little pissant. Whatever you say. :)

Get it?

Oh please. You're just upset because you were hoping you could start another Obama Lie.

He broke the rules of the military and he is now playing the price.

That's all I have said and you were too damn dumb to see or admit that the president is not and was not involved.

Nothing "dishonest" about facts. Deal with it.

Yup, and if your BOOOSH Boogeyman was in there, you would have the same opinion? Uh huh, sure. You lie. It's that simple.

The Associated Press: Marines discharge sergeant for Facebook posts

Marines discharge sergeant for Facebook posts
By ELLIOT SPAGAT, Associated Press – 10 minutes ago
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A sergeant will be discharged for criticizing President Barack Obama on Facebook in a case that called into question the Pentagon's policies about social media and its limits on the speech of active duty military personnel, the Marine Corps said Wednesday.
Sgt. Gary Stein will get an other-than-honorable discharge and lose most of his benefits for violating the policies, the Corps said.
The San Diego-area Marine who has served nine years in the Corps said he was disappointed by the decision. He argued that he was exercising his constitutional rights to free speech.
"I love the Marine Corps, I love my job. I wish it wouldn't have gone this way. I'm having a hard time seeing how 15 words on Facebook could have ruined my nine-year career," he told The Associated Press.
<more>

Good.

If you can't follow the UCMJ, you get to find another job.

:rofl:

i was talking about you, asshat

:thup:

Ok there little pissant. Whatever you say. :)

thanks, asshat

you're a peach

What have you ever done for your country? All you've ever done is loiter on a Message Board 24/7 acting like a smug little bitch. You should be thanking this brave kid for signing up to fight and possibly die for your right to be such an ignorant asshole. ;)

Actually I disagreed with the judgement. I read this guys face book posts and he was on the line but I didn't feel that he crossed it. Of course I am not privy to everything that happened or was said in the court room. I've always tried to tell people that you give up your rights while in the military. Maybe now people will understand that...........

"Screw Obama and I will not follow all orders from him."

You don't think that crosses the line?

Here, I'll help you out:

Now imagine this knucklehead said this:

"Screw my Battalion Commander, and I will not follow all orders from him."

Okay....

Go!

Where was that law when I was drafted and continuously bad mouthed Nixon and his Vietnam policies

Fuck people, Get it straight. The man screwed up, he broke the rules (UCMJ) He knows it, I know it, we all know it.

He is being kicked out of the military after 9 years on active duty and is a combat veteran. He is being kicked out because he did something any of us can do and actually do on a daily basis.

I have made the point that I believe that the Corps (Notice I did not say Obama) is being overly harsh on him and that his punishment is overkill. They could just as easily gave him an administrative discharge under honorable conditions. Or just took his stripes and made him a private again, before denying him re-enlistment. But for some reason they took away all of his rights as a veteran. How many employers today ask about veteran status? He cannot go to a VA clinic, He cannot join the American Legion Or the VFW. He cannot use his GI Bill,Can't get a VA home loan...... Pretty damned harsh........

Fuck people, Get it straight. The man screwed up, he broke the rules (UCMJ) He knows it, I know it, we all know it.

He is being kicked out of the military after 9 years on active duty and is a combat veteran. He is being kicked out because he did something any of us can do and actually do on a daily basis.

I have made the point that I believe that the Corps (Notice I did not say Obama) is being overly harsh on him and that his punishment is overkill. They could just as easily gave him an administrative discharge under honorable conditions. Or just took his stripes and made him a private again, before denying him re-enlistment. But for some reason they took away all of his rights as a veteran. How many employers today ask about veteran status? He cannot go to a VA clinic, He cannot join the American Legion Or the VFW. He cannot use his GI Bill,Can't get a VA home loan...... Pretty damned harsh........

Common sense and reason. The kid screwed up, but he also gave 9yrs of his life to our Country. He risked his life to preserve our right to Free Speech. That has to count for something no? There could have been another more reasonable way of handling this. The kid didn't deserve this.

Forum List

Back