Marines discharge sergeant for Facebook posts

Discussion in 'Military' started by Political Junky, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,533
    The Associated Press: Marines discharge sergeant for Facebook posts

Marines discharge sergeant for Facebook posts
    By ELLIOT SPAGAT, Associated Press – 10 minutes ago
    SAN DIEGO (AP) — A sergeant will be discharged for criticizing President Barack Obama on Facebook in a case that called into question the Pentagon's policies about social media and its limits on the speech of active duty military personnel, the Marine Corps said Wednesday.
    Sgt. Gary Stein will get an other-than-honorable discharge and lose most of his benefits for violating the policies, the Corps said.
    The San Diego-area Marine who has served nine years in the Corps said he was disappointed by the decision. He argued that he was exercising his constitutional rights to free speech.
    "I love the Marine Corps, I love my job. I wish it wouldn't have gone this way. I'm having a hard time seeing how 15 words on Facebook could have ruined my nine-year career," he told The Associated Press.
    <more>

2. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,915
    You'd expect someone who's had a 9 year career in the Marines would have a better understanding of the UCMJ.

I'm betting he'll have a right wing talk radio show by the end of the year.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    He will be on right wing talk shows within 30 days unless he does not want to be.

4. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Actually I disagreed with the judgement. I read this guys face book posts and he was on the line but I didn't feel that he crossed it. Of course I am not privy to everything that happened or was said in the court room. I've always tried to tell people that you give up your rights while in the military. Maybe now people will understand that...........

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,915
    "Screw Obama and I will not follow all orders from him."

You don't think that crosses the line?

6. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,972
    Marine Corps discharges sergeant for Facebook posts critical of Obama

A sergeant will be discharged for criticizing President Obama on Facebook in a case that called into question the Pentagon's policies about social media and its limits on the speech of active duty military personnel, the Marine Corps said Wednesday.

Sgt. Gary Stein will get an other-than-honorable discharge and lose most of his benefits for violating the policies, the Corps said.

The San Diego-area Marine who has served nine years in the Corps said he was disappointed by the decision. He argued that he was exercising his constitutional rights to free speech.

"I love the Marine Corps, I love my job. I wish it wouldn't have gone this way. I'm having a hard time seeing how 15 words on Facebook could have ruined my nine-year career," he told The Associated Press.

Gary Kreep, an attorney for Stein, said he would pursue administrative appeals within the Marine Corps but anticipates the effort will fail. He said he planned to file an amended complaint in federal court.

"As long as he wants to pursue this, we will be supporting him," said Kreep, who is executive director of the United States Justice Foundation, an advocacy group.

The Marines acted after saying Stein stated March 1 on a Facebook page used by Marine meteorologists, "Screw Obama and I will not follow all orders from him." Stein later clarified that statement, saying he would not follow unlawful orders...

Read more: Marine Corps discharges sergeant for Facebook posts critical of Obama | Fox News

7. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    good

8. Papageorgio

Papageorgio The Ultimate Winner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,440
    Can't bad mouth the boss and not expect consequences.

9. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,631
    You mean the Marine Corps is kicking a Marine out for criticizing the Commander in Chief.

With Facebook like social sites becoming the norm, I see military members stepping in it like this happening every once in a while in the future.

10. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    That statement was over the line. However is it a other than honorable discharge worthy? A marine who has served in combat? I wouldn't think so. Especially when he goes on to admit it was over the line and clarifies it in later posts as he would not follow illegal orders. Which of course all troops are obligated to do. Anyway He'll have another day in court yet