Marines discharge sergeant for Facebook posts

Actually I disagreed with the judgement. I read this guys face book posts and he was on the line but I didn't feel that he crossed it. Of course I am not privy to everything that happened or was said in the court room. I've always tried to tell people that you give up your rights while in the military. Maybe now people will understand that...........

"Screw Obama and I will not follow all orders from him."

You don't think that crosses the line?

Ask the ones that fled to Canada during the draft and didn't want to defend thier country at all...at least this guy DID join...and became a
conscientious objector openly toward a US POTUS that was selling his country out...and expected HIM to carry out the order(s).

President Obama had nothing to do with this.

READ the title of the op. See where it says "MARINES discharge ... "?

Learn wtf you're yammering about before you pop off and show just how incredibly stupid you are.

I should probably be a bit more diplomatic but I'm in no mood for the stupidity of the right wingers tonight.

oh,, he's not the cic? I get it..then the marine should not be punished.

Poor WillowTree. Has no concept on the UCMJ and how the Military operates. Forgive her her ignorance.

well the statement was "obama has nothing to do with this" so if he's not in the chain of command the marine did nothing wrong. way to go democrats, way to go, take away all his hard earned benefits for having an opinion. he fights for our rights to have freedom of speech only the rights he fights for don't apply to him.. that really really sucks.

Actually I disagreed with the judgement. I read this guys face book posts and he was on the line but I didn't feel that he crossed it. Of course I am not privy to everything that happened or was said in the court room. I've always tried to tell people that you give up your rights while in the military. Maybe now people will understand that...........

Ask the ones that fled to Canada during the draft and didn't want to defend thier country at all...at least this guy DID join...and became a
conscientious objector openly toward a US POTUS that was selling his country out...and expected HIM to carry out the order(s).

And he was punished appropriately by his superior officers. For someone who supposedly served, you sure don't seem to know much about how the UCMJ and the military chain of command works. Hmmmm.

Poor WillowTree. Has no concept on the UCMJ and how the Military operates. Forgive her her ignorance.

well the statement was "obama has nothing to do with this" so if he's not in the chain of command the marine did nothing wrong. way to go democrats, way to go, take away all his hard earned benefits for having an opinion. he fights for our rights to have freedom of speech only the rights he fights for don't apply to him.. that really really sucks.

I wouldn't pay attention to Bodey...SHE violated policy when she was in...

why do you say that? if DADT was in place she did not.

why do you say that? if DADT was in place she did not.

There was a BAN on Homosexuals in her time...

Poor WillowTree, so ignorant of how the Military works.

What do Democrats OR Repblicans have to do with this?

Are you being willfully obtuse and stupid or do you really not understand that this is an internal matter?

Suck or not, he knew what he was doing when he did it just like you know when you say something THIS stupid, its on the internet to stay.

Remember when the Rolling Stone article hit, the high up officer who spoke out against policy? Same thing. And it goes back to the CIVIL WAR.

LEARN WHAT YOU ARE YAMMERING ABOUT SO YOU DON'T MAKE SUCH A COMPLETE ASS OF YOURSELF.

Really? And how did I do that? Share with us what you know about me violating policy.

The Associated Press: Marines discharge sergeant for Facebook posts

Marines discharge sergeant for Facebook posts
By ELLIOT SPAGAT, Associated Press – 10 minutes ago
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A sergeant will be discharged for criticizing President Barack Obama on Facebook in a case that called into question the Pentagon's policies about social media and its limits on the speech of active duty military personnel, the Marine Corps said Wednesday.
Sgt. Gary Stein will get an other-than-honorable discharge and lose most of his benefits for violating the policies, the Corps said.
The San Diego-area Marine who has served nine years in the Corps said he was disappointed by the decision. He argued that he was exercising his constitutional rights to free speech.
"I love the Marine Corps, I love my job. I wish it wouldn't have gone this way. I'm having a hard time seeing how 15 words on Facebook could have ruined my nine-year career," he told The Associated Press.
<more>

I do not disagree with him about Obama. But no one can go around bashing the boss and expect to stay in good standing. Public sector or private sector. If you are going to have a career anywhere you have to be prudent in your use of words about your employer.

Are you being willfully obtuse and stupid or do you really not understand that this is an internal matter?

Suck or not, he knew what he was doing when he did it just like you know when you say something THIS stupid, its on the internet to stay.

Remember when the Rolling Stone article hit, the high up officer who spoke out against policy? Same thing. And it goes back to the CIVIL WAR.

LEARN WHAT YOU ARE YAMMERING ABOUT SO YOU DON'T MAKE SUCH A COMPLETE ASS OF YOURSELF.

I won't blame anyone for not signing up to defend freedom of speech. Ever.

Poor Willow. Of course you would not understand.

Last edited:

I guess you are right. If a man voluntarily signs up to fight for freedom of speech and can't enjoy it himself,, i will not blame anyone for not being willing to fight and die for that which he/she cannot have. This rule sucks.

I guess you are right. If a man voluntarily signs up to fight for freedom of speech and can't enjoy it himself,, i will not blame anyone for not being willing to fight and die for that which he/she cannot have. This rule sucks.

Well, it's not like we expect you to volunteer to defend this country Willow.

Well, it's not like we expect you to volunteer to defend this country Willow.

this is a good thing.

While the young Sergeants statement did cross the line, I am of the belief that the punishment is much more than it needed to be. I have to wonder if the Corps is making an example out of this man who served faithfully in a combat zone.

While the young Sergeants statement did cross the line, I am of the belief that the punishment is much more than it needed to be. I have to wonder if the Corps is making an example out of this man who served faithfully in a combat zone.

the article says they are making an example of him,, "sending a loud clear message."

What punishment do you think would have been appropriate?

little early in the day to be carrying a full load, isn't it, tommy?

Forum List

Back