Marijuana and the Skin.

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
Scientists from Hungary, Germany and the U.K. have discovered that our own body not only makes chemical compounds similar to the active ingredient in marijuana (THC), but these play an important part in maintaining healthy skin.

Biró and colleagues came to this conclusion by treating cell cultures from human sebaceous glands (the glands that make the oil on our skin) with various concentrations of endocannabinoids (substances produced by the body that are similar to the active ingredient in marijuana).

"This research shows that we may have something in common with the marijuana plant," said Gerald Weissmann, MD. "Just as THC is believed to protect the marijuana plants from pathogens, our own cannabinoids may be necessary for us to maintain healthy skin and to protect us from pathogens ."

Body's Own 'Cannabis (Marijuana)' Is Good For The Skin, Scientists Find

Granny says, "Dat's right - it'll make ya goofy too - like dat Colorado gov'ner...
icon_grandma.gif

Doctors warn against teen pot use amid looser marijuana laws
February 27, 2017 — An influential doctors group is beefing up warnings about marijuana's potential harms for teens amid increasingly lax laws and attitudes on pot use. Many parents use the drug and think it's OK for their kids, but "we would rather not mess around with the developing brain," said Dr. Seth Ammerman.
The advice comes in a new report from the American Academy of Pediatrics, published Monday in Pediatrics. The group opposes medical and recreational marijuana use for kids. It says emphasizing that message is important because most states have legalized medical use for adults, and many have decriminalized or legalized adults' recreational use. Those trends have led parents to increasingly ask doctors about kids' use, said Ammerman, a Stanford University pediatrics professor who co-wrote the report. "Parents will say, 'I use it moderately and I'm fine with it, so it's really benign and not a problem if my kid uses it,'" he said. Doctors need to know how to respond to that thinking, and parents and teens need to know the risks, Ammerman said.

POTENTIAL HARMS

The brain continues to develop until the early 20s, raising concerns about the potential short- and long-term effects of a mind-altering drug. Some studies suggest that teens who use marijuana at least 10 times a month develop changes in brain regions affecting memory and the ability to plan. Some changes may be permanent, the report says. Frequent use starting in the early teen years may lower IQ scores, and some studies have shown that starting marijuana use at a young age is more likely to lead to addiction than starting in adulthood. Not all teen users develop these problems and some may be more vulnerable because of genetics or other factors.

MEDICAL VERSUS RECREATIONAL USE

Solid research on medical marijuana's effects in children and teens is lacking, although some studies have suggested it may benefit kids with hard-to-treat seizures. The report says other potential benefits, doses and effects are mostly unknown.Recreational use is illegal for those under age 21 even in states that allow adult use. Parents should avoid using marijuana in front of their kids and should keep all marijuana products stored out of kids' sight, the academy says. Some young children who accidentally swallowed their parents' pot-containing cookies or drinks have landed in the emergency room for mostly minor symptoms although some developed breathing problems.

WHO'S USING

Government data show that almost 40 percent of U.S. high school students have tried marijuana, about 20 percent are current users and close to 10 percent first tried it before age 13. Use has increased in recent years among those aged 18 and older but not among young teens. Still, kids aged 12-17 increasingly think that marijuana use is not harmful. Dr. Sheryl Ryan, a Yale University pediatrics professor and lead author of the academy report, said marijuana "is the drug of choice" for many of her teen patients in New Haven, Connecticut. Some think daily use is safe, noting that their parents or grandparents smoked pot in college and turned out OK. But today's marijuana is much more potent and potentially more risky, Ryan said.

Online:

American Academy of Pediatrics: Information on Marijuana

National Institute on Drug Abuse: Marijuana

Doctors warn against teen pot use amid looser marijuana laws

See also:

Colorado Governor Invokes States' Rights on Recreational Marijuana
February 27, 2017 | Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, a Democrat, invoked states’ rights on Sunday, when he was asked if Attorney General Jeff Sessions might enforce federal law against the recreational use of marijuana.
Hickenlooper told NBC's "Meet the Press" that he opposed recreational marijuana in 2012, when 55 percent of Colorado voters approved a state constitutional amendment allowing personal use of the illegal drug for people over age 21. "It's in our constitution," Hickenlooper said on Sunday. "I took a solemn oath to support our constitution. So, I am -- and it's interesting, it's the sovereignty -- the states have a sovereignty just like the Indian tribes, just like the federal government does. So, it's an interesting--" "You don't think it's clear that the federal government could stop you? You don't think it's a clear-cut case?" host Chuck Todd interrupted. "Exactly. I don't think it is," Hickenlooper replied.

"And I think it's certainly -- it's never my choice to be in conflict with federal law. Let's make that clear. "That being said, so Senator (Cory) Gardner (R-Col.) had talked to Mr. Sessions before he was confirmed, Senator Sessions at that point, and was led to believe that Senator Sessions said, you know, enforcement of marijuana was not going to be their primary -- it wasn't worth rising to the top and becoming a priority. And the implication was you don't have to get -- don't go crazy on this. "Now, obviously things might have changed, and we have to see what happens, but I mean, there are over 60 percent of American people are now in a state where either medical or recreational marijuana is legalized. This has become one of the great social experiments of our time."

Hickenlooper said he's "getting close" to supporting recreational marijuana. "I mean, I don't think I'm quite there yet, but we have made a lot of progress. We didn't see a spike in teenage use. If anything, it's come down in the last year. "And we're getting anecdotal reports of less drug dealers. I mean, that's -- if you get rid of that black market, you got tax revenues to deal with addictions and some of the unintended consequences of legalized marijuana, maybe this system is better than what was admittedly a pretty bad system to begin with."

At the White House last week, spokesman Sean Spicer told reporters, “I do believe you'll see greater enforcement" of federal marijuana laws. He said there’s a “big difference” between medical marijuana and recreational use of the drug, “which is something the Department of Justice I think will be further looking into.”

Colorado Governor Invokes States' Rights on Recreational Marijuana

Forum List

Back