Man makes mass shooting threat. Is not arrested. Guns not confiscated.

Florida has the Red Flag law everyone is talking about. I personally think it is unconstitutional. However the stated reason for these laws is to prevent a mass shooting. So when it is not applied, we know it is either a lie, or an excuse.

Tarpon Springs officer quits after making mass shooting threat

So let me get this straight. The guy threatened to kill everyone if he did not get a promotion. He told other cops. The other cops claimed it was a joke. But he told it to several people over several days. If he had become a mass shooter, would the cops he told have been responsible?

My long held belief and one of the things I advocate for is that laws must apply equally to all. They never do, but they really need to.
Maybe this is an example of the fact that red flag laws are not used indiscriminately and there is actually a pretty high standard before someone's weapons are taken away.

There is not a high standard...there is the whim of the local police, not actual standards....live in an anti-gun place, they grab the guns......simple as that.

Florida has the Red Flag law everyone is talking about. I personally think it is unconstitutional. However the stated reason for these laws is to prevent a mass shooting. So when it is not applied, we know it is either a lie, or an excuse.

So let me get this straight. The guy threatened to kill everyone if he did not get a promotion. He told other cops. The other cops claimed it was a joke. But he told it to several people over several days. If he had become a mass shooter, would the cops he told have been responsible?

My long held belief and one of the things I advocate for is that laws must apply equally to all. They never do, but they really need to.
Bergren was placed on paid leave the next day, and his agency-issued firearm, badge and identification were all taken from him pending the outcome of an internal investigation.

Actually his gun was taken...

And that was his only firearm?

First off, if every single man that ever said something like that in jest, was put in prison... we would have a higher percentage of men in prison, than out of prison.

Can you at least admit that? Men say stuff like that all time time. ALL THE TIME. Constantly. Every single day. "If they don't do (X), there will be a smoking hole where this warehouse is!" I've heard that in the past month, and it as OBVIOUSLY a jest. He wasn't actually really threatening to plant a bomb in the warehouse and blow everyone up.

In the story you posted, some of his colleagues said he had a stoic and dry sense of humor.

Does that mean he is innocent? No. I don't know. I was not there, I did not know the man, I have no idea if this was typical of his sense of humor or not.

There is a huge difference between saying something unbelievable stupid in jest... and / or frustration, and saying something with intention.

Again... I don't know.... I don't know the man.

But I would rather give the officers in this case the benefit of the doubt, as to whether they acted appropriately in dealing with this guy. If they think that having him fired, is all that is required, then I have to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

I could be wrong. Maybe the guy is insane, and these guys should slapped cuffs on him and tossed him in jail that moment. I don't know... I wasn't there... I don't know the man.

My issue with this, is that people are making assumptions, and judgements on this, when they were not there either.

Were the people in the Jury box in courtrooms all over the nation there to personally witness the events? Aren’t the relatives of the accused, as well as friends always on record as saying they don’t believe this could have happened?

Michael Slager shot Walter Scott in the back. There was video that showed him doing it. His Mother talked to the press. She could not imagine him doing it. She would not watch the video.

Was she right and everyone else wrong?

Yes. This behavior is called normally [an unconscious] "cry for help", because he is in danger to lose control. This man begs to be arrested and not to have to be responsible for his weapons any longer.

Last edited:
Why is it necessary to explain the instant name check for purchasing a firearm? If you go to buy a firearm and your name turns up as wanted they will come and get you and your firearms regardless if it is a mistake. That's how it works. There is no provision for confiscation in the "red flag law".
I wonder if you realize that you just explained why criminals will never use a background check and why they are useless.

First off, if every single man that ever said something like that in jest, was put in prison... we would have a higher percentage of men in prison, than out of prison.

Can you at least admit that? Men say stuff like that all time time. ALL THE TIME. Constantly. Every single day. "If they don't do (X), there will be a smoking hole where this warehouse is!" I've heard that in the past month, and it as OBVIOUSLY a jest. He wasn't actually really threatening to plant a bomb in the warehouse and blow everyone up.

In the story you posted, some of his colleagues said he had a stoic and dry sense of humor.

Does that mean he is innocent? No. I don't know. I was not there, I did not know the man, I have no idea if this was typical of his sense of humor or not.

There is a huge difference between saying something unbelievable stupid in jest... and / or frustration, and saying something with intention.

But I would rather give the officers in this case the benefit of the doubt, as to whether they acted appropriately in dealing with this guy. If they think that having him fired, is all that is required, then I have to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

I could be wrong. Maybe the guy is insane, and these guys should slapped cuffs on him and tossed him in jail that moment. I don't know... I wasn't there... I don't know the man.

My issue with this, is that people are making assumptions, and judgements on this, when they were not there either.

Were the people in the Jury box in courtrooms all over the nation there to personally witness the events? Aren’t the relatives of the accused, as well as friends always on record as saying they don’t believe this could have happened?

Michael Slager shot Walter Scott in the back. There was video that showed him doing it. His Mother talked to the press. She could not imagine him doing it. She would not watch the video.

Right, and we are not the Jury, and nor do we have all the information that a jury would have. That's my point. You are making a judgement call about the context, and demeanor of a single statement. We don't know what was said prior to, or afterward, or if the person in question has a long history of dry humor, or if this was a serious statement that there would be an active-shooter in the building.

And you could very well be right about this. I don't know. But again, that's the point... I don't know.

By the way, Walter Scott attempted to murder a police officer, attacked the officer, and went for the officers weapon. Anyone that can do that is a danger to society and deserved to die.

Don't you have to commit a crime first before things are taken away from you? Talking is not a crime, right?

What, if he had finished his threats with the words "allahu akbar"? Would he be dead now?

That question isn't logical.

Seems to me you see a difference between this terrorist and an Islamist. I think in the moment someone says "I will shoot" then he has either a psychological defect and a straitjacket would be the right answer - or otherwise he has to expect to be immediatelly shot down on his own, on reason of the categorical imperative that his own private rule should be able to be a universal law too. Only to be arrested, checked and a drug withdrawal and to lose the privilege to own and/or to use weapons is a very soft form of punishment for his lazy trying to bring everyone in stress = to terrorize everyone. If he really will do, what he said, then will not only die some people - also some policemen will lose their job, because they are infinetelly reckless. The moment an idiot speaks in such a way with policemen, they should arrest him immediatelly.

Last edited:
Don't you have to commit a crime first before things are taken away from you? Talking is not a crime, right?

What, if he had finished his threats with the words "allahu akbar"? Would he be dead now?

Seems to me you see a difference between this terrorist and an Islamist. I think in the moment someone says "I will shoot" then he has either a psychological defect and a straitjacket would be the right answer - or otherwise he has to expect to be immediatelly shot down on his own, on reason of the categorical imperative that his own private rule should be able to be a universal law too. Only to be arrested, checked and a drug withdrawal and to lose the privilege to own and/or to use weapons is a very soft form of punishment for his lazy trying to bring everyone in stress = to terrorize everyone. If he really will do, what he said, then will not only die some people - also some policemen will lose their job, because they are infinetelly reckless. The moment an idiot speaks in such a way with policemen, they should arrest him immediatelly.

So if he was playing Call of Duty with a fellow police officer, and said "I'm going to shoot you"... you would have him arrested on the spot? If he was out on a paint ball course, or in a laser tag arena, and said "I am going to shoot you" to another person who happens to be a police officer... you would have him arrested on the spot?

My point is that again... context does matter.

If we had a rule that every single statement ever uttered by anyone, that could be construed as threatening if taken out of context, must be arrested and punished for their crime.... the result of that would be that we would have more people in prison, than we had out of prison. Half the population of the country would be in prison right now.

Again, I'm not suggesting that you are wrong. I am suggesting that we may not know as much as we think. We were not there. We don't know all of the context, all of the history, and whether this individual has a history of making humor based comments in like manor.

You might be right about it. I don't know.

But when you seem to suggest that anyone who says any comment that could be considered threatening... Men specifically say stuff that out of context would be considered threatening all the time. All the time. Constantly. So I would suggest that we need to consider each incident as it happens, and stop trying to arm-chair general the situation that none of us has first hand knowledge of.

I would much rather trust the judgement of the people who were actually there, and knew this man, than have this internet jury thing, where we destroy people's lives without ever knowing them, or what actually happened.

He was obviously joking, what police officer would kill other officers because of not getting a promotion??

Hopefully he will find a better police job with a department where there aren't so many liberal snowflakes

So if he was playing Call of Duty with a fellow police officer, and said "I'm going to shoot you"... you would have him arrested on the spot? If he was out on a paint ball course, or in a laser tag arena, and said "I am going to shoot you" to another person who happens to be a police officer... you would have him arrested on the spot?

If we had a rule that every single statement ever uttered by anyone, that could be construed as threatening if taken out of context, must be arrested and punished for their crime.... the result of that would be that we would have more people in prison, than we had out of prison. Half the population of the country would be in prison right now.

Again, I'm not suggesting that you are wrong. I am suggesting that we may not know as much as we think. We were not there. We don't know all of the context, all of the history, and whether this individual has a history of making humor based comments in like manor.

But when you seem to suggest that anyone who says any comment that could be considered threatening... Men specifically say stuff that out of context would be considered threatening all the time. All the time. Constantly. So I would suggest that we need to consider each incident as it happens, and stop trying to arm-chair general the situation that none of us has first hand knowledge of.

I would much rather trust the judgement of the people who were actually there, and knew this man, than have this internet jury thing, where we destroy people's lives without ever knowing them, or what actually happened.

Yes. All men must go to prison forever. That's what we lesbo feminists are going to do to all of you to put you all away, dicked imitations of humans. Gun or no gun, you are a threat. And we will take it away. Until we get guns between our legs, you have no right to carry yours.

Dude, it's in line with the democrat crime family modus Operandi. He has the kill several people first!

Right, and we are not the Jury, and nor do we have all the information that a jury would have. That's my point. You are making a judgement call about the context, and demeanor of a single statement. We don't know what was said prior to, or afterward, or if the person in question has a long history of dry humor, or if this was a serious statement that there would be an active-shooter in the building.

And you could very well be right about this. I don't know. But again, that's the point... I don't know.

By the way, Walter Scott attempted to murder a police officer, attacked the officer, and went for the officers weapon. Anyone that can do that is a danger to society and deserved to die.

Actually Walter Scott tried to flee a traffic stop.

And the officer lied about what happened, tampered with evidence, and shot an unarmed man in the back. The cop got what he deserved.

He was obviously joking, what police officer would kill other officers because of not getting a promotion??

Hopefully he will find a better police job with a department where there aren't so many liberal snowflakes

A joke you might tell once and when people don’t find it funny which the other officers all said they did not, perhaps you would drop it if you had any sense. I am talking the bare minimum sense to pour piss out of a boot.

And have you forgotten about California where the police used a fugitive ex cop as an excuse to put up roadblocks and rampage about including shooting two women delivering newspapers because of a former cop?

Hopefully this dolt goes to Truck Driving school since he is too stupid and thuggish to entrust as a cop.

A joke you might tell once and when people don’t find it funny which the other officers all said they did not, perhaps you would drop it if you had any sense. I am talking the bare minimum sense to pour piss out of a boot.

And have you forgotten about California where the police used a fugitive ex cop as an excuse to put up roadblocks and rampage about including shooting two women delivering newspapers because of a former cop?

Hopefully this dolt goes to Truck Driving school since he is too stupid and thuggish to entrust as a cop.
Don't forget to put the directions on the heel of the boot for him.

There exist female truck drivers too.

Are you a lawyer? Interesting inversion. When I see it the right way, then you think, I have to apologize, because I hurt the sensitive side of his man. I suggested the policemen in the USA should arrest immediatelly someone, who says "I will kill ... " and should do a criminal identification including a checkout of a possible terroristic background of such a person. Do you think, I should also apologize to think the NRA is not an umbrella organisation of sport shooters - but more a kind of criminal organisation on their own? The more US-Americans are shot down, the more profits make the weapon manufacturers and weapon traders of the USA. The "collateral damage" is indeed a main argument for this mafiosi. Some more dead students, some more dead policemen - who cares except their families? "Buy more weapons - then you are save from weapons." Money money money - for the weapon manufactureres and weapon dealers - but not for the families of the victims.

So what do you think about a kind of "obligatory weapon insurance". Some profit should be reserved for the victims of this evil business. When every weapon has to pay $5 a year - this would be a lot of money for compensation payments.

Last edited:

Yes, but the law is that it is talking that is not a crime. Barking is. Unless you are a dog.

When some people talk about how to rob a bank, then they will not be arrested, because they have a right of free opinion or a right of free speech. They will be arrested because someone likes to find out, whether this is more than only to speak nonsense. When someone says "I will kill ..." then this should be taken serios. It's a criminal plan. There must be reasons, why someone says so. If everyone is in danger, because this man is a psychopath, then it makes not a big sense to wait. Specially to say so in front of policemen or other authorities is an extreme provocation - nearly a kind of taboo. When someone breaks this taboo - how far is he from a break of the 5th (or 6th) commandement?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back