Man makes mass shooting threat. Is not arrested. Guns not confiscated.

Again, the Red Flag law is about purchasing firearms. If y'all want to get involved in disarming or confiscation you will have to go elsewhere.

No. The weapons were seized by police. That is the literal definition of confiscated.

Florida Man Lost His 2A Rights, Thanks To Red Flag Laws And Mistaken Identity

But the weapons of their buddy the cop were not seized. Why not?
Just how many times are you gonna pull up this case? It the only one you've got? Probably because it has nothing to do with the red flag laws, which have been in place in over ten states, sometimes for years. And it's working.
Too bad for you.

Why is it necessary to explain the instant name check for purchasing a firearm? If you go to buy a firearm and your name turns up as wanted they will come and get you and your firearms regardless if it is a mistake. That's how it works. There is no provision for confiscation in the "red flag law".
Why didn't they go get one of the most recent mass shooters when he failed? Where do you idiots come from spewing this total nonsense that red flag laws aren't about confiscation? That's what they do, they come to take your guns first and then you might get a day in court;. Fuck that. i'll not allow them to get away with it.

Again, the Red Flag law is about purchasing firearms. If y'all want to get involved in disarming or confiscation you will have to go elsewhere.

No. The weapons were seized by police. That is the literal definition of confiscated.

Just how many times are you gonna pull up this case? It the only one you've got? Probably because it has nothing to do with the red flag laws, which have been in place in over ten states, sometimes for years. And it's working.
Too bad for you.

It is one of the few that got any publicity.

N.J. has used its new ‘red flag’ law more than once a day since it took effect

New Jersey uses this rare power once a day. Once every day. Are they saying that these were imminent threats to life? Yes. Every single day someone has their weapons seized in one state. Just one.

Extreme Risk? Every single day? Seriously?

Too bad for you.

New Jersey uses this rare power once a day. Once every day. Are they saying that these were imminent threats to life? Yes. Every single day someone has their weapons seized in one state. Just one.

8.9 million people live in New Jersey. 365/8900000 = .000004% that's 4 millionths of one percent of New Jersey people are affected by the law. Might save a few, though.

Too bad for you.

8.9 million people live in New Jersey. 365/8900000 = .000004% that's 4 millionths of one percent of New Jersey people are affected by the law. Might save a few, though.
-------------------------------------------------- its like I say . Principles be damned . Women just think differently than men .

Too bad for you.

Okay. So now we have evolved from one story and something that never happens to a fraction of one percent that might save someone. Is a violation of Civil Rights a problem if it only happens to a few? Traditionally that has been a problem if it happens to one. Not a thousand. Or a hundred. But just one.

Is it a problem if only one Black is lynched? I think it is.

Is it a problem if only one home is invaded by the cops without a warrant? I think it is.

Is it a problem if we allow just one person to be required to testify against themselves? Again. I think it is.

If one person has their freedoms curtailed. Just one. That is too many for me. One a day is intolerable. One is too many.

I always defend Civil Rights. Every single time. If one person has those rights taken from them, I object. The ends never justify the means. The intentions are irrelevant. The rights of the people are the only thing that matters long term.

Yes. That includes Abortion. If one woman is prevented from deciding what happens to her own body that is too many. I would argue for your rights while you would strive to deny me mine. Curious isn’t it?

Florida has the Red Flag law everyone is talking about. I personally think it is unconstitutional. However the stated reason for these laws is to prevent a mass shooting. So when it is not applied, we know it is either a lie, or an excuse.

Tarpon Springs officer quits after making mass shooting threat

So let me get this straight. The guy threatened to kill everyone if he did not get a promotion. He told other cops. The other cops claimed it was a joke. But he told it to several people over several days. If he had become a mass shooter, would the cops he told have been responsible?

My long held belief and one of the things I advocate for is that laws must apply equally to all. They never do, but they really need to.
Bergren was placed on paid leave the next day, and his agency-issued firearm, badge and identification were all taken from him pending the outcome of an internal investigation.

Actually his gun was taken...

Too bad for you.

That is too many!

Florida has the Red Flag law everyone is talking about. I personally think it is unconstitutional. However the stated reason for these laws is to prevent a mass shooting. So when it is not applied, we know it is either a lie, or an excuse.

So let me get this straight. The guy threatened to kill everyone if he did not get a promotion. He told other cops. The other cops claimed it was a joke. But he told it to several people over several days. If he had become a mass shooter, would the cops he told have been responsible?

My long held belief and one of the things I advocate for is that laws must apply equally to all. They never do, but they really need to.
“I personally think it is unconstitutional.”

On what grounds?

The protective order is issued by a magistrate pursuant to evidence in support of the order.

Individuals subject to the order are afforded their comprehensive due process rights.

And no guns are ‘confiscated’ – citizens subject to a protective order are allowed to submit evidence to a magistrate in support of having their firearms returned.

“So when it is not applied, we know it is either a lie, or an excuse.”

We know no such thing.

There are legitimate reasons why a protective order may not have been issued for a specific case.

The "Red Flag" issue doesn't violate the 2nd Amendment. You can still purchase a firearm if you are red flagged but it you are under more scrutiny than you would have been if you were an ordinary citizen without mental health baggage or some minor conviction or threats. From what I understand there is no provision for confiscation in the "Red Flag" law.

Increase your understanding.
Wrong.

The incident had nothing to do the ‘red flag’ laws – the Ammoland article acknowledged as much.

Also wrong.

Property returned to individuals have not been ‘confiscated.’

Too bad for you.

Okay. So now we have evolved from one story and something that never happens to a fraction of one percent that might save someone. Is a violation of Civil Rights a problem if it only happens to a few? Traditionally that has been a problem if it happens to one. Not a thousand. Or a hundred. But just one.

Is it a problem if only one Black is lynched? I think it is.

Is it a problem if only one home is invaded by the cops without a warrant? I think it is.

Is it a problem if we allow just one person to be required to testify against themselves? Again. I think it is.

If one person has their freedoms curtailed. Just one. That is too many for me. One a day is intolerable. One is too many.

I always defend Civil Rights. Every single time. If one person has those rights taken from them, I object. The ends never justify the means. The intentions are irrelevant. The rights of the people are the only thing that matters long term.

Yes. That includes Abortion. If one woman is prevented from deciding what happens to her own body that is too many. I would argue for your rights while you would strive to deny me mine. Curious isn’t it?
Defending civil rights is also to acknowledge the fact that none of those rights are unlimited, that they are subject to regulation and restriction by the state.

As long as the state acts in accordance with Constitutional case law, no civil rights have been violated.

And currently, protective orders are Constitutional, they do not violate the Second, Fourth, or Fifth Amendments.

The "Red Flag" issue doesn't violate the 2nd Amendment. You can still purchase a firearm if you are red flagged but it you are under more scrutiny than you would have been if you were an ordinary citizen without mental health baggage or some minor conviction or threats. From what I understand there is no provision for confiscation in the "Red Flag" law.

Increase your understanding.

That's just... infuriating. I would've told that sheriff to pound sand.

That is absolutely NOT what red flag laws are about. Jesus H Christ you wonder why us "gun nutters" are so averse to your stupid "feel good" laws? You don't even know what the fuck they do!

Also wrong.

Property returned to individuals have not been ‘confiscated.’

"If I steal your car and give it back later, it's not theft."

Your acute stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

First off, if every single man that ever said something like that in jest, was put in prison... we would have a higher percentage of men in prison, than out of prison.

Can you at least admit that? Men say stuff like that all time time. ALL THE TIME. Constantly. Every single day. "If they don't do (X), there will be a smoking hole where this warehouse is!" I've heard that in the past month, and it as OBVIOUSLY a jest. He wasn't actually really threatening to plant a bomb in the warehouse and blow everyone up.

In the story you posted, some of his colleagues said he had a stoic and dry sense of humor.

Does that mean he is innocent? No. I don't know. I was not there, I did not know the man, I have no idea if this was typical of his sense of humor or not.

There is a huge difference between saying something unbelievable stupid in jest... and / or frustration, and saying something with intention.

Again... I don't know.... I don't know the man.

But I would rather give the officers in this case the benefit of the doubt, as to whether they acted appropriately in dealing with this guy. If they think that having him fired, is all that is required, then I have to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

I could be wrong. Maybe the guy is insane, and these guys should slapped cuffs on him and tossed him in jail that moment. I don't know... I wasn't there... I don't know the man.

My issue with this, is that people are making assumptions, and judgements on this, when they were not there either.

Forum List

Back