Looks like lunchbox nazi inspectors are mandated by the Feds

You just can't imagine a world where the government doesn't tell you what to do, can you?

You're servile to the bone.

You're the ideal liberal!
An ideal slave that hates his own liberty.

Creatures like Nosmo King remind me of the restaurant at the end of the universe in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. They had a dish on the menu that was your choice of a slice of an animal that wanted to be eaten. they wheeled it out to your table and it asked you which parts of its body you would care to dine on. That's the mentality displayed by Nosmo King.

Sickening, isn't it?

Last edited:
Would you be more comfortable if the lobbyists for food processors wrote the regulations defining a healthy lunch for children? Would that be better policy all around? I'm not really convinced that those lobbyists have the nutrition of school children as a prime priority. Maybe those lobbyists would serve their clients better by advocating pizza as vegetables and high fructose corn syrup as a healthy ingredient for school aged children.

You just can't imagine a world where the government doesn't tell you what to do, can you?

I cannot cede my liberty to the private sector. They have a long track record of self interest, not MY interest. If you want to abandon the notion of justice for the notion that profits are preferable to safety, you're welcome to it.

You choose to cede your liberty to government? Wow! ...just...Wow!

This legislation by the President the First Lady and the USDA ups the ante big time. And we're not just talking $$$$$.

This is not what it started out to be. I know, it's one of the talking points.

I wondered why it took so long for some one to try this shit. :lol:

Bush signed a nutrition act too. Boooooooooooooooooooooooosh.

Brings up another point... where in the Constitution does the First Lady have any legislative power or authority??

Seriously? Was it the First Lady who sign the bill?

No, but it's a pretty sure bet Barry O wasn't gonna get no 'O' if he didn't sign it. First Be-atch has the power o' the pussy.

If I recall correctly, my parents sent us to school with PB&J, or baloney and cheese, on white bread. Add a piece of fruit and a zip lock of chips or cookies. We bought a carton of milk at lunch. Not one of my eight siblings was even pudgy. At home, we at mac-n-cheese, mashed potatoes, veggies grown in the garden, meatloaf, spaghetti, and lots of other pretty common menu items for large families. So what's the difference between then and now?
First, PE was mandatory in school. When we had recess, we played, ran, played ball, climbed the monkey bars, etc. When we came home from school, we had chores, including tending the garden and livestock. Nobody got paid for doing these things, it was expected that we contributed to family upkeep. When we had leisure time, we were put outside to play. We explored the woods, build forts, went for long hikes, chased fireflies and trapped frogs and snakes. We were not permitted to sit in front of the TV and computer shit hadn't been invented yet. I imagine my parents wouldn't have allowed us to spend too much time playing computer games, either. My parents actually came out and played with us, soccer, softball, riding bicycles and hiking, among other activities.
But then, my Mother stayed home and raised the children. My Dad worked two, sometimes three, jobs to make ends meet. You could also bring home a month's worth of groceries for $150-$200. I guess we really haven't improved all that much, considering the social problems we have now...

Oh, well, thanks for letting a geezer maunder about how horrible it was before we had all this great technology...

It happened again.

When Jazlyn said she didn’t eat what her mother had made her, Zambrano went to her teacher and demanded to know what happened. She said the teacher told her an official had come through that day to inspect students’ lunches and that those who were lacking certain food groups were sent to the cafeteria. After she received her cafeteria food, the teacher told Zambrano, Jazlyn was told to put her homemade lunch back in her lunchbox and set it on the floor.

Zambrano said the teacher told her it was not the first time student lunches have been inspected, and that officials come “every so often.”

The policing of children’s food at West Hoke has been portrayed as an isolated incident, but a curious memo Jazlyn brought home to her mother seems to point to something more.

The memo Jazlyn brought from the school outlines the necessary nutritional requirements students’ homemade lunches must contain: two servings of fruit or vegetables, one serving of dairy, one serving of grain and one serving of meat or meat substitute. Included with the memo was a separate sheet, this one a bill for the cafeteria food Jazlyn was served.

The memo, dated Jan. 27 with the subject line “RE: Healthy Lunches,” was signed by school principal Jackie Samuels and said, while “we welcome students to bring lunches from home … it must be a nutritious, balanced meal with the above requirements. Students, who do not bring a healthy lunch, will be offered the missing portions which may result in a fee from the cafeteria.”
Bob Barnes, assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction, told the McClatchy News Service Thursday that the first preschooler to make headlines just misunderstood her teacher when she thought she was told to ditch her homemade lunch for one from the cafeteria: the cafeteria items were only meant to supplement the food groups missing from the homemade lunch.

“We are not the lunch bag police,” Barnes told McClatchy. “We would never put a child in any type of embarrassing situation. But we are responsible to see that every child gets a nutritious meal.”

North Carolina Mother Diane Zambrano Says Her Daughter‘s Homemade School Lunch Wasn’t Healthy Enough | West Hoke Elementary | TheBlaze.com

:eusa_hand:

If I recall correctly, my parents sent us to school with PB&J, or baloney and cheese, on white bread. Add a piece of fruit and a zip lock of chips or cookies. We bought a carton of milk at lunch. Not one of my eight siblings was even pudgy. At home, we at mac-n-cheese, mashed potatoes, veggies grown in the garden, meatloaf, spaghetti, and lots of other pretty common menu items for large families. So what's the difference between then and now?
First, PE was mandatory in school. When we had recess, we played, ran, played ball, climbed the monkey bars, etc. When we came home from school, we had chores, including tending the garden and livestock. Nobody got paid for doing these things, it was expected that we contributed to family upkeep. When we had leisure time, we were put outside to play. We explored the woods, build forts, went for long hikes, chased fireflies and trapped frogs and snakes. We were not permitted to sit in front of the TV and computer shit hadn't been invented yet. I imagine my parents wouldn't have allowed us to spend too much time playing computer games, either. My parents actually came out and played with us, soccer, softball, riding bicycles and hiking, among other activities.
But then, my Mother stayed home and raised the children. My Dad worked two, sometimes three, jobs to make ends meet. You could also bring home a month's worth of groceries for $150-$200. I guess we really haven't improved all that much, considering the social problems we have now...

Oh, well, thanks for letting a geezer maunder about how horrible it was before we had all this great technology...

Great stuff, but NOW a salad and more whole grains is GD good idea...for the geezers too. This is NOT Hitler stuff, and the OP is Pubcrappe...

Great stuff, but NOW a salad and more whole grains is GD good idea...for the geezers too. This is NOT Hitler stuff, and the OP is Pubcrappe...

I eat locally grown produce, that which I don't grow myself. I eat either game meat, or meat from my own animals. I make my own cheese, yogurt, and butter from raw milk from my own dairy animals. I avoid, to the extent possible, anything with GMOs, particularly corn and soy, as well as byproducts of those things. I glean berries and wild-crafted herbs and plants to add to my diet. For about 75% of my diet, I know what goes into it.
What is being done to our food is criminal. Our government is complicit, having been bought out by big agri-business.

No it's not and I am driving this right across all boards for parents to become informed left, right and center that the USDA is now mandating caloric values based on grade levels.

This it insanity. And by Monday, I will have contacted nutritionists world wide to attempt to get responses to this.

And I want a debate about a government who feels they can mandate caloric needs of a child based on grade level.

This is not "la dee da" franco. I'm working on this.

Because it is vulgar and so audacious but so Obama and Michelle to believe they can just mandate this in truly a voodoo science way with the assistance of Audrey Rowe at USDA and they think people are just going to take their orders and lie down.

And you defend this?

Last edited:
I eat locally grown produce, that which I don't grow myself. I eat either game meat, or meat from my own animals. I make my own cheese, yogurt, and butter from raw milk from my own dairy animals. I avoid, to the extent possible, anything with GMOs, particularly corn and soy, as well as byproducts of those things. I glean berries and wild-crafted herbs and plants to add to my diet. For about 75% of my diet, I know what goes into it.
What is being done to our food is criminal. Our government is complicit, having been bought out by big agri-business.

:clap2:

It's criminal. And while they try to keep useful idiots eyes on something as stupid as Keystone III a non issue truly by comparison, the chemical giants are completely taking over and monopolizing the food industry.

GM scares the crap out of me.

Would you be more comfortable if the lobbyists for food processors wrote the regulations defining a healthy lunch for children? Would that be better policy all around? I'm not really convinced that those lobbyists have the nutrition of school children as a prime priority. Maybe those lobbyists would serve their clients better by advocating pizza as vegetables and high fructose corn syrup as a healthy ingredient for school aged children.

I cannot cede my liberty to the private sector. They have a long track record of self interest, not MY interest. If you want to abandon the notion of justice for the notion that profits are preferable to safety, you're welcome to it.
And you shoose to cede yours to politicians? Really? You really don't know what true liberty is, do you?

An ideal slave that hates his own liberty.

Creatures like Nosmo King remind me of the restaurant at the end of the universe in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. They had a dish on the menu that was your choice of a slice of an animal that wanted to be eaten. they wheeled it out to your table and it asked you which parts of its body you would care to dine on. That's the mentality displayed by Nosmo King.

Sickening, isn't it?
Frightening is more like it

Gee, how did I know that "story" was going to end up being a load of hogwash? Oh, right...the drug addled gasbag Rush Limbaugh reported it...

The story is true. It has gone viral world wide.

The issue at stake is the child brought a lunch that was completely within USDA guidelines and the "agent" rejected it.

The mother has the note that the 4 year old brought home from the school. You can try to make this a non issue by huffing and puffing and try to blame the story on Rush, but you risk truly looking just like a partisan hack instead of being able to go "what's wrong with this picture?".

The story is fabricated.

• The 'agent' was not from the state or the feds. The 'agent' was a researcher from FPG Child Development Institute at the University of North Carolina.

• The researcher did not inspect ANY homemade lunches. The researcher ordered full school lunches for every single child in this program and was evaluating the school’s compliance with standards, not individual parents’ compliance.

• And when you look into Sara Burrows, the reporter of the story, she shows up as an 'expert' from the Heartland Institute and 'staff' of the John Locke Foundation. Right wing think tanks that have an agenda. So what you are outraged about is propaganda you are being fed. It is not truth, it is a LIE.

The FACTS:

For starters, the context in which all of this occurred was a public school pre-K program run by the state popularly known as “More at Four,” but now called the generic name “NC Pre-K.” In order to have a child enrolled in this program, which has a limited number of slots, the parents must actively choose to enroll, with priority going to “at-risk” children, to wit: special needs children and (importantly) low-income children. Indeed, to even be eligible for the program, the child must either fit in one of those two categories or have a parent on (or about to be called on) active military duty. Enrollment as an “at-risk” child means that the child’s enrollment is fully subsidized by the state, regardless of whether the day care is private or public.

These facts are critical because the “state agent” in this story turns out to be nothing more than a researcher from a program that grades the performance of pre-schools and operates out of the FPG Child Development Institute at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It also does not appear that this institute has any actual authority other than to provide assessments, which the state then uses in making licensing decisions and in setting the fees it will pay the day care provider for subsidized care.

Notably, as the second-linked story above suggests, the mother’s main gripe here does not even appear to be with this “state agent,” but instead with the school’s teachers, who continue to give the girl milk and vegetables despite letters from the mother asking them not to. Indeed, the notion that this “state agent” was going around inspecting every single lunch box brought to the school does not appear to have much basis, as the agent apparently ordered full school lunches for every single child in this program and was evaluating the school’s compliance with standards, not individual parents’ compliance. Even if he was doing such an inspection, there’s a pretty obvious context-specific reason for it: this is an opt-in program for parents who largely can’t afford to provide fully balanced meals.

Her other major gripe appears to be that she is worried about being charged for the additional food being placed in front of her daughter based on a letter from the school purportedly saying that kids who did not bring a healthy lunch would be offered supplements and that parents “may” be charged for the supplemented portions. However, as the second-linked story makes clear, no such charges have been issued nor apparently was there any actual chance that such charges would be issued.

The original story’s claim that the relevant regulation applies to all pre-schools is also false – to the contrary, it applies only to pre-schools choosing to participate in (and eligible for) the subsidized program.

The original story further obscures that in no circumstance was this child – or any child, for that matter – being forced to eat the school-provided lunch, nor was this child -or any other child – deprived of her boxed lunch. Instead, as the second linked story acknowledges, the child was just provided with additional food and given the option to consume that in addition to her boxed lunch. In other words, the claim that the school “replaced” this girl’s turkey sandwich, banana, apple, potato chips, and juice with chicken nuggets is totally bogus.

The private sector can't force you to do diddly squat. How would you "cede your liberty" to it? A private business can only make money by providing its customers with something they want. That means they cater to your interests. Government, on the other hand, simply takes your money by force. Only a fool would trust the later over the former.

Yeah.....let's rely on the American-airline industry's "model", regarding safety!

During the late-'60s/early-'70s, passenger-jets' improvements (related to safety) were dependent-upon.....which would be less-expensive:

1. Upgrading known safety-concerns.

2. Making insurance pay-outs on related body-count; post-crash.

Air_Crash_Fire__3.jpg

Allowing The Marketplace To Regulate Itself.

Last edited:

Gee, how did I know that "story" was going to end up being a load of hogwash? Oh, right...the drug addled gasbag Rush Limbaugh reported it...

The issue at stake is the child brought a lunch that was completely within USDA guidelines and the "agent" rejected it.

The mother has the note that the 4 year old brought home from the school. You can try to make this a non issue by huffing and puffing and try to blame the story on Rush, but you risk truly looking just like a partisan hack instead of being able to go "what's wrong with this picture?".

There is nothing wrong with "this picture" beyond severe cases of ODS. The story is FALSE...as has been pointed out numerous times. Nobody took the girl's turkey sandwich away from her.

When something defies all logic, it's probably because the story isn't true...like this one.

Not surprisingly, this story has been picked up in large swathes of the libertarian and conservative blogospheres…

One problem: the story is a load of bunk at worst, a non-story at best, standing for little more than the proposition that low-income children in NC’s low-income pre-K program whose parents don’t send them to school with enough healthy food will be provided with additional food to supplement what their parents send them to school with.

As usual, conservatives have no use for the truth.

Needless to say, if a story came out that poor children were discovered to not have enough healthy food and the school failed to offer a supplement, conservatives would decry the ‘incompetent pubic sector.’

That's not the issue here whatsoever.

The issue is the mother's lunch met the guidelines and frankly was more nutritious than freaking deep fried chicken nuggets. Yet the inspector told the child her lunch from mom was no good, and gave her a school lunch.

Do you know what's in chicken nuggets? Trust me, the turkey sandwich mom packed is far better.

Oh and the story has gone viral internationally in even left wing news organizations. Not just blogs.

Yes and it's not just "conservatives" who are outraged. This was a topic at lunch with a group of teachers, many who are moms first and Dems second. They all agreed they would be furious if it was their kid.

Why am I still surprised that Obamabots will defend just about anything the govt does? It's frightening.

Needless to say, if a story came out that poor children were discovered to not have enough healthy food and the school failed to offer a supplement, conservatives would decry the ‘incompetent pubic sector.’

The issue is the mother's lunch met the guidelines and frankly was more nutritious than freaking deep fried chicken nuggets. Yet the inspector told the child her lunch from mom was no good, and gave her a school lunch.

Do you know what's in chicken nuggets? Trust me, the turkey sandwich mom packed is far better.

Oh and the story has gone viral internationally in even left wing news organizations. Not just blogs.

Yes and it's not just "conservatives" who are outraged. This was a topic at lunch with a group of teachers, many who are moms first and Dems second. They all agreed they would be furious if it was their kid.

Why am I still surprised that Obamabots will defend just about anything the govt does? It's frightening.

Indeed. and these are things that won't be forgotten come debates and election time. Obama thinks we're stupid and will forget...he learned nothing in 2010.

Why am I not surprised you defend a LIE as truth, then expect everyone to be outraged? The bigger question is WHY aren't you outraged that you were lied to?

There is nothing wrong with "this picture" beyond severe cases of ODS. The story is FALSE...as has been pointed out numerous times. Nobody took the girl's turkey sandwich away from her.

When something defies all logic, it's probably because the story isn't true...like this one.
Exactly!!!!!!!
(....Especially when you're looking for actual-details!)​

Nanny state at its finest :thup:

Preschooler’s Homemade Lunch Replaced with Cafeteria “Nuggets”

A preschooler at West Hoke Elementary School ate three chicken nuggets for lunch Jan. 30 because a state employee told her the lunch her mother packed was not nutritious.

The girl’s turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips, and apple juice did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, according to the interpretation of the agent who was inspecting all lunch boxes in her More at Four classroom that day.

"The girl.....her Mother.....her Grandmother....."......no actual-NAMES????
323.png

Yeah.....sounds like some major-league BULLSHIT, alright.

handjob.gif

Last edited:

They would be furious about what? What Rush told ya'll happened...DIDN'T. Nobody took the girl's turkey sandwich away.

Forum List

Back