London turning into a war zone

Yeah, so they've allied themselves with a few groups who've made some critical remarks on Muslims and Jews. Big deal. I'd rather ally myself with a "crypto-fascist" than the latest jackboot on the block: the E.U.

And what is fascist about the EU is....precisely nothing.

Swagger -

Yes, increased immigration would be of some benefit to Finland, as it has been to the US and UK over the years.

We're not talking about "increased immigration" here, Saigon. Were talking about mass immigration. Are you seriously telling me that you'd be willing to let millions of immigrants from a vastly different culture than yours be allowed to settle in Finland? I'm assuming you're aware of the enormous pressure that would put Finland's infrastructure under.

Yeah, so they've allied themselves with a few groups who've made some critical remarks on Muslims and Jews. Big deal. I'd rather ally myself with a "crypto-fascist" than the latest jackboot on the block: the E.U.

And what is fascist about the EU is....precisely nothing.

Yeah, are you given a choice on who the E.U.'s prseident is? You know, like voting power? No, you aren't. That seems a lot like fascism to me.

England has Special Forces guarding Buckingham Palace.

I am shocked.

What next? Police outside Number 10 Downing Street?

They aren't "special forces". They are officers from SO19, the MET's Firearms Command unit. You don't just see them outside of Buckingham Palace, either. You see them all over the city. I know it's easy for you to adopt a mocking tone from the safety of lily-White Finland, but we have a problem in the U.K. It's called multiculturalism, and the images you're commenting on are an unfortunate consequence of this failed venture.
I was in London 3 years ago, and the year before that, and the year before that, etc. Been there so many times I'd have to sit down and make a list to count how many times in the past 10-12 years. I have never seen anything remotely like in that picture: nothing whatsoever.

Swagger -

It's all about proportion, isn't it?

You live in a country with 60 million people; I live in a country with 5 million people.

Put it this way - I think a country in which perhaps 10% of people are born elsewhere or where 20% of people have one parent born elsewhere is great. I welcome that. I think everyone benefits.

I don't disagree with John Cleese that London is a bit bizarre in that 50% of people are non-white, and likewise Rotterdam and one or two others. I do think that is excessive.

Yeah, are you given a choice on who the E.U.'s prseident is? You know, like voting power? No, you aren't. That seems a lot like fascism to me.

Ah, so you can't vote in EU elections?

We voted for MEPS not so long ago here. I don't see anything fascist about that myself.

Ah, so you can't vote in EU elections?

We voted for MEPS not so long ago here. I don't see anything fascist about that myself.

You and I both know that Jean-Claude Junker isn't an MEP. He's the President of the E.U., and you and I weren't offered a say on that appointment.

Swagger -

It's all about proportion, isn't it?

You live in a country with 60 million people; I live in a country with 5 million people.

Put it this way - I think a country in which perhaps 10% of people are born elsewhere or where 20% of people have one parent born elsewhere is great. I welcome that. I think everyone benefits.

I don't disagree with John Cleese that London is a bit bizarre in that 50% of people are non-white, and likewise Rotterdam and one or two others. I do think that is excessive.

And? Finland's much bigger than the U.K. You've got plenty of space you can afford to share with all the immigrants/asylum seekers from Africa and Asia.

You and I both know that Jean-Claude Junker isn't an MEP. He's the President of the E.U., and you and I weren't offered a say on that appointment.

True. Probably that would be a good move (to have a direct election for that post) and I believe it is being discussed.

It isn't a huge issue for me, though, as I think the EU is just tremendous and does great work. It's not perfect, but it's fairly damn good.

England has Special Forces guarding Buckingham Palace.

I am shocked.

What next? Police outside Number 10 Downing Street?

They aren't "special forces". They are officers from SO19, the MET's Firearms Command unit. You don't just see them outside of Buckingham Palace, either. You see them all over the city. I know it's easy for you to adopt a mocking tone from the safety of lily-White Finland, but we have a problem in the U.K. It's called multiculturalism, and the images you're commenting on are an unfortunate consequence of this failed venture.
I was in London 3 years ago, and the year before that, and the year before that, etc. Been there so many times I'd have to sit down and make a list to count how many times in the past 10-12 years. I have never seen anything remotely like in that picture: nothing whatsoever.

Bollocks, haven't you. They might not be wearing the blue jumpsuit like pictured in the OP, but anyone who's familiar with London and the MET knows that BMWs are reserved exclusively for SO19/Firearms Command. I see these vehicles all the time, and I know there are police officers armed with either H&K MP5s, G36s or Glock 17s inside.

4579097479_6cbac54584_z.jpg

Isn't diversity grand???

Yes it is.

Recently, I had a pleasure of passing through London's airport. One of the things that stuck out was beautiful Muslim girls (airport employees) with their beautiful head scarfs. One of them actually helped me find the airplane I was supposed to catch. Not only that, few minutes before the plane took off, she came in to talk to me to ensure that everything was OK. I was pretty impressed.

I wonder how she would've treated you outside of work. You do realise her outgoing, helpful attitude is what keeps her in work, don't you?

I have hard time believing that she would have been drastically different outside her work. Anyway, my wife and I are planning a London vacation so hopefully we will get to gauge the pulse of London.

London is great. But there are places you don't want to go to. Make sure you stay in the tourist areas and you'll be fine. Though Lambeth (where the Imperial War Museum is located) can get a bit dodgy after dark.

True. Probably that would be a good move (to have a direct election for that post) and I believe it is being discussed.

It isn't a huge issue for me, though, as I think the EU is just tremendous and does great work. It's not perfect, but it's fairly damn good.

I doubt that very much.

Isn't diversity grand???

Yes it is.

Recently, I had a pleasure of passing through London's airport. One of the things that stuck out was beautiful Muslim girls (airport employees) with their beautiful head scarfs. One of them actually helped me find the airplane I was supposed to catch. Not only that, few minutes before the plane took off, she came in to talk to me to ensure that everything was OK. I was pretty impressed.

I wonder how she would've treated you outside of work. You do realise her outgoing, helpful attitude is what keeps her in work, don't you?

I have hard time believing that she would have been drastically different outside her work. Anyway, my wife and I are planning a London vacation so hopefully we will get to gauge the pulse of London.

London is great. But there are places you don't want to go to. Make sure you stay in the tourist areas and you'll be fine. Though Lambeth (where the Imperial War Museum is located) can get a bit dodgy after dark.

There are places in every city in the world that can "get a bit dodgy" after dark :D

Isn't diversity grand???

Yes it is.

There are places in every city in the world that can "get a bit dodgy" after dark :D

No doubt. I can't think of too many though that house a world class museum. Can you?

Swagger -

I have a hard time accepting that any party with clear links to crypto-fascists is a useful source on anything other than where to buy jackboots.

I don't argue that the UKIP is doing well electorally right now - but more fool Britian for forgetting WWII.

You speak of jackboots and you're a liberal, that's rich.

LiberalTotalitarianism_zps8d938963.jpg

You speak of jackboots and you're a liberal, that's rich.

I have absolutly no idea what you are talking about - and please stop labeling me with whatever word is currently sprayed on your bathroom wall.

If you don't know what a term means - don't use it.

Liberalism fits hand in glove with totalitarianism.

Here, let me give you a remedial lesson.

In a society run on principles of individualist conservatism with a small government, liberal collectivists still have the freedom to voluntarily collectivize. If liberals want to create a collectivist health system for themselves and invite poor people to join them, then they have the freedom to do so and no totalitarian compulsion is required. Those individualists who don't want to join the collective are free to remain with whichever system they prefer.

However, once liberal totalitarians take power all freedom is sacrificed and people are compelled to join the collective whether they prefer to or not. That collective health system is now pushed onto everyone and people are denied a choice by the anti-choice zealots in the liberal totalitarian faction.

Conservatives allows people to exercise freedom and choice. Liberal totalitarianism strips people of freedom and choice and imposes the will of the collective on everyone.

Prior to ObamaCare there was noting preventing liberals from all banding together to form one giant liberal insurance cooperative and then inviting all poor people to comes and join them and leaving normal people to life their lives as they pleased. Liberals didn't want to do that, to exercise their choice to freely collectivize themselves, they instead want to force collectivism onto everyone, especially onto the unwilling. That's how you totalitarians roll. You get pleasure from stomping your jackboots onto the throats of innocents who resist your collectivization schemes.

Liberalism fits hand in glove with totalitarianism.

Well, of course....that's why we have had so many liberal dictators, and so few right wing dictators. Except for Stroessner, Cristiani, Pinochet, Rios Montte, Franco, Antonescu, Hitler, of course, oh, and the Argentine Dirty Generals, etc, etc, etc....

Honestly...you have to laugh, don't you?

Forum List

Back