Lap Top is burning my thighs!!!!

And I correct on saying that you have a mac laptop?

They are notorious for getting very hot.

I have a cooling pad for mine, although my newest laptop doesn't seem to have the same problems.

Actually now, it's a Lenovo / PC (Windows) not a MAC. But I think when I have it on my lap with a blanket, it gets like a firecracker! Probably on it too long as well!

When you sit with a blanket on your lap, is the blanket blocking any of the air vents?

I have a cooling pad for mine, although my newest laptop doesn't seem to have the same problems.

Actually now, it's a Lenovo / PC (Windows) not a MAC. But I think when I have it on my lap with a blanket, it gets like a firecracker! Probably on it too long as well!

When you sit with a blanket on your lap, is the blanket blocking any of the air vents?

How do I know where the air vents are? (Wow I'm dumb!) .. but i'm not blonde, not today anyway :)

Is that Robert Mitchum? My mother loved him...

You must be reading my posts. They have that effect on women. :eusa_drool:

But cereally, that's not a good sign. It's most likely your battery heating up. How old is the battery? Might want to pull it out and run strictly on AC until you can replace it. They can melt or worse.

I have it plugged in all the time. Maybe that is bad?

No, revised answer, Sonny and the others are correct, airflow is number one. Batteries can heat up too, but if you're not leaving air space underneath that's the first thing to address.

You don't necessarily need a cooling pad --- they do the job but as long as you keep a space for it to breathe underneath, where its built-in fans are, it can cool itself.

When I have a laptop on a table or desk I put a pencil or something under one side so it's not flush and can breathe.

My thunder (Hillary) thighs are killing my lap top!
I have to go clean the house anyway.. but thanks everyone for the tips!
Seems to be worse lately (the heat) so maybe the battery is getting ready to blow....

Love you guys!

B.
Vacuum out the vents...... no, really.

Ok will try. The vents look like they are on the SIDE (about 2-3 inches from the arm of my couch).
Can I use a regular vacuum hose? Will try and see if it makes a diff.

But cereally, that's not a good sign. It's most likely your battery heating up. How old is the battery? Might want to pull it out and run strictly on AC until you can replace it. They can melt or worse.

No, revised answer, Sonny and the others are correct, airflow is number one. Batteries can heat up too, but if you're not leaving air space underneath that's the first thing to address.

You don't necessarily need a cooling pad --- they do the job but as long as you keep a space for it to breathe underneath, where its built-in fans are, it can cool itself.

When I have a laptop on a table or desk I put a pencil or something under one side so it's not flush and can breathe.

Seems to be worse lately (the heat) so maybe the battery is getting ready to blow....

Love you guys!

B.

Ok will try. The vents look like they are on the SIDE (about 2-3 inches from the arm of my couch).
Use the vacuum hose with the long narrow plastic attachment.

CrevTl-grey-diag.jpg

Love you guys!

B.

CrevTl-grey-diag.jpg

The vents are the slotted openings on the side and bottom.

Love you guys!

B.

CrevTl-grey-diag.jpg

Okay, will let you know if it helps... THANKS!!!! :)

Love you guys!

B.

CrevTl-grey-diag.jpg

Ringel's the USMB computer whiz. I trust anything he says.

Well except that time he said I could increase my RAM by spinning the laptop on my head while dancing naked in the rain. I skipped that one.

Love you guys!

B.

CrevTl-grey-diag.jpg

The other thing that will help is canned air to blow it out.

Canned%20Air.JPG

These people warn not to use a vacuum, I've been doing it for years with no problems.

How to Clean the Dust Out of Your Laptop

Love you guys!

B.

CrevTl-grey-diag.jpg

Ringel's the USMB computer whiz. I trust anything he says.

Well except that time he said I could increase my RAM by spinning the laptop on my head while dancing naked in the rain. I skipped that one.
It woulda worked. I swear....... :dunno:

Love you guys!

B.

CrevTl-grey-diag.jpg

Canned%20Air.JPG

These people warn not to use a vacuum, I've been doing it for years with no problems.

Doesn't that stuff condense water in its output though?

CrevTl-grey-diag.jpg

Canned%20Air.JPG

Not enough to make a difference besides (Bon, take note) make sure the laptop or any computer, electronic piece of equipment you're cleaning, is powered off and unplugged.
Especially if you're cleaning it in the bathtub....... :eusa_whistle:

CrevTl-grey-diag.jpg

Canned%20Air.JPG

Shushhhhhh! :D

Why? What causes that it's like fire!

Want the light weight, gonna feel the intense heat generated by high-powered electronics.

More powerful a computer, hotter it is. Why cooling is such a big part of modern computers. All the components generate tremendous amounts of heat.

You're going to fry the lap top. It has to vent from the bottom. Do not cover up the vent slots on the bottom. They generate a lot of heat. They have to vent through all the holes and slots.

EDIT -- wait, Sonny's right here, right on the money:
You're going to fry the lap top. It has to vent from the bottom. Do not cover up the vent slots on the bottom. They generate a lot of heat. They have to vent through all the holes and slots.

I learned this years ago when I had the laptop on a sofa and it just shut itself down. The repair guy essplained it. Always keep a space under the thing, preferably a cooling pad is even better, even if you don't run the cooling pad fan, because it's designed to allow air flow.

Even as we speak I have mine as usual on this one, I love it:

202.jpg

Now this one's pricey and has built-in speakers, which you don't have to have, but they sound great, and it's durable. And very very comfortable.

If I use my laptop on my..well..lap...I put something hard underneath it if I am using it longterm.
Sonny is right, blocking the vents reaaallly shortens the life of your computer.

Get a laptop cooling stand, it raises the laptop so air can circulate. 15 bucks on Newegg

It only happens when I'm here... thoughts????

EDIT -- wait, Sonny's right here, right on the money:

I learned this years ago when I had the laptop on a sofa and it just shut itself down. The repair guy essplained it. Always keep a space under the thing, preferably a cooling pad is even better, even if you don't run the cooling pad fan, because it's designed to allow air flow.

Even as we speak I have mine as usual on this one, I love it:

202.jpg

Now this one's pricey and has built-in speakers, which you don't have to have, but they sound great, and it's durable. And very very comfortable.

If I use my laptop on my..well..lap...I put something hard underneath it if I am using it longterm.
Sonny is right, blocking the vents reaaallly shortens the life of your computer.

Get a laptop cooling stand, it raises the laptop so air can circulate. 15 bucks on Newegg

It only happens when I'm here... thoughts????

Ah, well then we're back to the original theory --- it's from reading my posts. :eusa_angel:

All the wimmens here have that issue. After one particular steamy exchange, BlueGin had her whole laptop melt into a puddle.

:eusa_shifty:

Forum List

Back