Internet piracy good or bad?

Depends.
Take Napster....Piracy on crack. To this day no other website had as many members/hit counts. Not even Facebook comes close.
Obviously this caused a revolutionary change in the industry that has benefited us all.

Since steam and other software debasement tools I changed my opinion. I think, a cracked software is not only free but also does not boss you around. I have started to buy games on steam and co and crack it to get rid of steam. But now, I like repacks. Repacks are just too advantageous and I get no good treatment anyway and have not been payed for any of my various implemented ideas.

I'd say that people who pirate products likely would have gone without the product completely if a pirated copy wasn't available. So the effect of piracy is much smaller than big companies want you to think.

I would disagree.
Did you know that the Game of Thrones series is the most pirated item ever? And right behind it is The Walking Dead.
G of T had 1.5 million downloads in a single episode.
You better believe this encouraged HBO's decision to stick it to cable and now offer HBO as a standalone streaming station.
Annnnd....so does TNT. They opened up their station to streaming as well.
So again, Piracy is having a positive effect for everyone.

I'd say that people who pirate products likely would have gone without the product completely if a pirated copy wasn't available. So the effect of piracy is much smaller than big companies want you to think.

I would disagree.
Did you know that the Game of Thrones series is the most pirated item ever? And right behind it is The Walking Dead.
You better believe this encouraged HBO's decision to stick it to cable and now offer HBO as a standalone streaming station.
So the people who pirated those shows likely would never have seen them otherwise. People who can afford HBO are not the one's pirating. And GOT and Walking Dead aren't exactly hurting for money.

I would disagree.
So the people who pirated those shows likely would never have seen them otherwise. People who can afford HBO are not the one's pirating. And GOT and Walking Dead aren't exactly hurting for money.

No.
It is an untapped market.
I was one of those 1.5 million. I cut cable several years ago, not because of money - but because I am one of those cantankerous people who refuse to be taken advantage of. I refuse to pay out nearlly $100 a month for cable bundling just to get the 4-5 stations I want.
But now I have Roku with Netflix, Sling TV and Hulu. I pay for what I watch, which is what I would rather do. I have not downloaded a torrent in months.
An untapped market. At this point 10% of U.S. households have internet w/o cable. And growing.

Piracy is a violation of copyright laws. It is illegal and it does injure a lot more people than just the author.
People who steel software or movies would steel anything they thought they could get away with.
Nothing but petty thieves.

Google Gargoyles

Piracy on the Internet promotes curiosity about computing networks but disrupts civics regarding Internet bureaucracy.

Many people, for example, seek Internet mail-order-brides, but piracy threatens general securities in the virtual world, encouraging mischief-minded individuals to perform subversive acts against Internet-based traffic infrastructures such as mail-order-bride services and credit filings.

We need more Internet management or at least peer-edited cataloging (i.e., Wikipedia).

Do you believe in the Google supercop?

:afro:

Internet Police

googly.png

Google Gargoyles

Piracy on the Internet promotes curiosity about computing networks but disrupts civics regarding Internet bureaucracy.

Many people, for example, seek Internet mail-order-brides, but piracy threatens general securities in the virtual world, encouraging mischief-minded individuals to perform subversive acts against Internet-based traffic infrastructures such as mail-order-bride services and credit filings.

We need more Internet management or at least peer-edited cataloging (i.e., Wikipedia).

Do you believe in the Google supercop?

:afro:

Internet Police

View attachment 46286
The internet is a legal vacuum. This is agreed by all. Legal vacuum by term? No. But law is not being enforced what is the same in the result. If you sell stuff online you can also sell stuff at a real pirate bay: You never know the outcome of your trip. Governments are hardly doing something about it. Google knows what people search for, etc and does nothing about it as well. Instead, Google publishes statistics about what has been searched for. And pirating software for personal use is almost the most harmless thing you can do online.

Last edited:
Piracy is a violation of copyright laws. It is illegal and it does injure a lot more people than just the author.
People who steel software or movies would steel anything they thought they could get away with.
Nothing but petty thieves.

I call BS.

Forum List

Back