Lap Top is burning my thighs!!!!

You must be reading my posts. They have that effect on women. :eusa_drool:

But cereally, that's not a good sign. It's most likely your battery heating up. How old is the battery? Might want to pull it out and run strictly on AC until you can replace it. They can melt or worse.

EDIT -- wait, Sonny's right here, right on the money:
You're going to fry the lap top. It has to vent from the bottom. Do not cover up the vent slots on the bottom. They generate a lot of heat. They have to vent through all the holes and slots.

I learned this years ago when I had the laptop on a sofa and it just shut itself down. The repair guy essplained it. Always keep a space under the thing, preferably a cooling pad is even better, even if you don't run the cooling pad fan, because it's designed to allow air flow.

Even as we speak I have mine as usual on this one, I love it:

202.jpg

Now this one's pricey and has built-in speakers, which you don't have to have, but they sound great, and it's durable. And very very comfortable.

Last edited:

But cereally, that's not a good sign. It's most likely your battery heating up. How old is the battery? Might want to pull it out and run strictly on AC until you can replace it. They can melt or worse.

I have it plugged in all the time. Maybe that is bad?

Why? What causes that it's like fire!
You're going to fry the lap top. It has to vent from the bottom. Do not cover up the vent slots on the bottom. They generate a lot of heat. They have to vent through all the holes and slots.

well it has not died yet... so I have to buy something?
Just make sure that the bottom, sides, and back are not against anything. It needs air flow in order to cool and work properly.

If I use my laptop on my..well..lap...I put something hard underneath it if I am using it longterm.
Sonny is right, blocking the vents reaaallly shortens the life of your computer.

That is probably not the cause of the extreme heat. You're not allowing it get enough air flow.

That is probably not the cause of the extreme heat. You're not allowing it get enough air flow.
So keep it off my lap huh? ;) okay... Thanks SC

Why? What causes that it's like fire!
Do a couple scans for viruses and spyware. It could be that's your problem. Your laptop should be able to cool itself otherwise, unless it's really old. It helps too to do what some mentioned above and make sure there's room for airflow to and from the fan. Buying a cooling pad is some serious overkill.

No, revised answer, Sonny and the others are correct, airflow is number one. Batteries can heat up too, but if you're not leaving air space underneath that's the first thing to address.

You don't necessarily need a cooling pad --- they do the job but as long as you keep a space for it to breathe underneath, where its built-in fans are, it can cool itself.

When I have a laptop on a table or desk I put a pencil or something under one side so it's not flush and can breathe.

No, revised answer, Sonny and the others are correct, airflow is number one. Batteries can heat up too, but if you're not leaving air space underneath that's the first thing to address.

You don't necessarily need a cooling pad --- they do the job but as long as you keep a space for it to breathe underneath, where its built-in fans are, it can cool itself.

When I have a laptop on a table or desk I put a pencil or something under one side so it's not flush and can breathe.

My thunder (Hillary) thighs are killing my lap top!
I have to go clean the house anyway.. but thanks everyone for the tips!
Seems to be worse lately (the heat) so maybe the battery is getting ready to blow....

Love you guys!

B.

My thunder (Hillary) thighs are killing my lap top!
I have to go clean the house anyway.. but thanks everyone for the tips!
Seems to be worse lately (the heat) so maybe the battery is getting ready to blow....

Love you guys!

B.
Vacuum out the vents...... no, really.

And I correct on saying that you have a mac laptop?

They are notorious for getting very hot.

I have a cooling pad for mine, although my newest laptop doesn't seem to have the same problems.

And I correct on saying that you have a mac laptop?

They are notorious for getting very hot.

I have a cooling pad for mine, although my newest laptop doesn't seem to have the same problems.

Actually now, it's a Lenovo / PC (Windows) not a MAC. But I think when I have it on my lap with a blanket, it gets like a firecracker! Probably on it too long as well!

Forum List

Back