Killing in war is still murder (substantiating quotations)

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
“He who joyfully marches to music rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder.”
― Albert Einstein

What is absurd and monstrous about war is that men who have no personal quarrel should be trained to murder one another in cold blood.--Aldous Huxley

War means blind obedience, unthinking stupidity, brutish callousness, wanton destruction, and irresponsible murder.--Alexander Berkman

War is organized murder and torture against our brothers.--Alfred Adler

Dress it as we may...huzza it, and sing swaggering songs about it, what is war, nine times out of ten, but murder in uniform?--Douglas Jerrold

"Rules of engagement" are a set of guidelines for murder.--Dr. Teresa Whitehurst

Political language. . . is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable--George Orwell

Vietnam should remind conservatives that whenever you put your faith in big government for any reason, sooner or later you wind up an apologist for mass murder.--Karl Hess

Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.--Percy Bysshe Shelley

A man who kills on his own is a murderer. A man who kills at his government's request is a national hero.--Ramman Kenoun

I learned nothing from war. War is not an activity for human beings; war is for criminals—rape, robbery and murder.--Roman Podabedov (Russian anti-tank gunner)

If you support any offensive war, consider yourself just as culpable of murder as the most insane serial killer.--Sarah Bellum

Not only is war a form of legalized murder, but it is mass serial killing.--Sarah Bellum

So, if a warring group attacks me I should just let them kill me, because shooting back would be wrong?

<slides daisy into your gun barrel>

Not only is war a form of legalized murder, but it is mass serial killing.--Sarah Bellum

yeah, not really.... there are sometimes (rarely) good reason for a defensive war. but i'm big on using words properly. murder is a specific term defined at law. it is not murder if it is not included in that legal definition. therefore, the term "legalized murder" is an oxymoron.

Show me what a Man will kill and die for and I'll show you what he values. Show me what he will neither kill nor die for and I'll show you what he cares nothing for.

yeah, not really.... there are sometimes (rarely) good reason for a defensive war. but i'm big on using words properly. murder is a specific term defined at law. it is not murder if it is not included in that legal definition. therefore, the term "legalized murder" is an oxymoron.

No one's talking about the legal definition. Thought that was obvious.

"Gives me a headache thinking down to your level."
- "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

If you are not talking about legal murder, then that leaves morality based. Interesting that you are not using religious quotes.

Nonsense...... Contrary to popular belief.....One of the ten commandments is Thou shalt not MURDER....... You may KILL in self defence....So if you plan to Murder someone it is not acceptable but to defend oneself and family is....So if you are defending your country from a group that wants to Murder you and yours you may kill them before they murder you and yours.....I always find it fascinating how people cannot grasp that concept....There are grey areas but not in defence of ones own....

war sucks but it is necessary sometimes. Everything else is just naïve bullshit.

Forum List

Back