Jewish sexism?

Women banned from being Rabbis in Judaism...sexism or not?

Top US rabbis officially ban women in rabbinic positions

-

that is only in orthodox Judaism.

and like most orthodox religions, women are second class citizens. there are no female priests, or female imams, or orthodox jewish rabbis.

there are female rabbis in less orthodox segments of Judaism. same as there are female episcopal ministers.

thanks for your concern. if only it applied to other religions aside from the one that seems to offend you.

-

There are are other countries where they can be rabbis. It depends on the sect, ultra orthodox would not agree to women. Conservative and reform do allow.

It would be like ISIS or alqaida allowing women muftis, ain't going to happen anytime soon. Saudi have permitted women to join the judges of sharia and women in government, but there are limits to them actually speaking or openly discussing with the men. Not sure of the details but I would guess they have submit their opinions in writing.
Women used to have a much higher presence in the time of Mohammed. Now they are not seen or hear and carry only half the value of a man with no rights to their own body or their children.

-

and like most orthodox religions, women are second class citizens.

Not in my town.

what do you have, two jews in town?

I always wanted to be a Kohen.
How exactly are women 2nd class citizens?
It takes a man about 20-30 years to become a Rabbi, if ever.

-

Not in my town.

i don't care for orthodox judaism because women are segregated from men and not allowed to participate in the rituals of worship. i do celebrate the high holy days with a local chabad though because they're very welcoming and because they don't have a reform temple near me so i figure it's ok.

true re being a rabbi... but there are temples with female rabbis. nothing wrong with that.

why did you want to be a kohan?

-

Not in my town.

i don't care for orthodox judaism because women are segregated from men and not allowed to participate in the rituals of worship. i do celebrate the high holy days with a local chabad though because they're very welcoming and because they don't have a reform temple near me so i figure it's ok.

true re being a rabbi... but there are temples with female rabbis. nothing wrong with that.

The 1st Temple had mixed services until the men and women started hitting on each other.
Human nature; we are in shul to commune with God, not to date someone else's spouse.

Kohan gets the first Aliyah.

Many are perplexed by the female Rabbi issue.
I'm not necessarily convinced one way or the other.
It's difficult enough being a Rabbi when every Orthodox male thinks HE'S a Rabbi.

Not in my town.

The 1st Temple had mixed services until the men and women started hitting on each other.
Human nature; we are in shul to commune with God, not to date someone else's spouse.

men should be able to control themselves. :)

and yes, they do. i'm a levite.

Not in my town.

men should be able to control themselves. :)

and yes, they do. i'm a levite.

I've had a few women hit on me.
As you have surmised, their husbands are wickedly ugly.

I was raised and bar mitzvahed Orthodox in NY , I don't remember there being any other kind in the Part of NYC where I was raised. My cousins on LI were in a conservative shul , Now I am a secular and gastronomic Jew :wink_2:

I was raised and bar mitzvahed Orthodox in NY , I don't remember there being any other kind in the Part of NYC where I was raised. My cousins on LI were in a conservative shul , Now I am a secular and gastronomic Jew :wink_2:

Long Island has become a HUGE Modern Orthodox stronghold.

Forum List

Back