Kerry Tanked it?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by no1tovote4, Oct 1, 2004.

1. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Wow I went to another site I post at, it is chock-filled with Democrats. They are saying that Kerry is doomed. I was shocked. Everyone here seems to say it was a wash except the Democrats. The Democrats on that site and the Libertarians were all saying that Bush pointed out Kerry's errors effectively and clearly and right after he made them, even though he stuttered through a few answers.

I am shocked.

Did people on this site watch a different debate?

2. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    What's the URL for that other site? I'd like to see that myself...:)

3. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    That's weird. I didn't get to see the entire debate, but from what I did see I thought both had a couple of uneasy moments, but both did great for the most part. No clear cut winner from what I saw. If they think Kerry bombed, far be it for me to change their mind, though.

4. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I copied and pasted this excerpt from the board I formerly condemed before I came to USMessageBoard.Com, which I consider predominately composed of 'informed' leftists:

My feel is that the moderate DEMS on most liberal boards have the same doubts about Kerry as they did before the debate, and that the remainder of the far left is still ready to :bow3: to Kerry with the same fervour as before without rejoicing over some new victory per the debate.

Here is the section (without linking per rules) I copied from that thread I pulled by revisiting the board I used to frequent before I found my true home here:

Dubya is always smirking to the eyes of the Bush hater.

All the tired cliches in intact from this poor sap.

"God Bless America" really pisses off the hard left, who refuse to even spell out the "o" in "God" as if the very word is as offensive to them as 'F-ck'.

How can you not pity such people?

Wrong debate.

Fair answer. Rare on this site.

Fox and CNN did the same comparison, I noticed. Scaring old ladies by saying what?

Calls American's stupid, yet his last observation, is, shall we say, retarded?

Obviously a cry for me and others which once tried to post fairly, to come back and aim both barrels into the leftist rants on this board. Screw them!

She loaths Bush!

I can't believe Coco is still posting there. He was the token righty before I left.

Coco has a thankless task, poor soul.

Ties being specifically something which enriches Cheney despite his full divestment.

True enough.

No swing voter there.

Voice of reason interjects.

Voice of reason quashed.

See how Bushh cheated by crafily delaying his responses?

Self-fulllfiling wish in action!

Always the accepted thread ender on this board... Bush supporters are dumb and backing Kerry is only what smart people will do.

Pretty standard stuff, no real debate, barely any references to the actual debate, rather, simple affirmation of their beliefs without complication.

This same kind of affirmation on the left dominated debate threads is what I expect Internet-wide. And understanding that nothing of any concrete importance is forwarded here, one can safely assume the left hasn't really considered this exchange a favourable one, worthy of dissection.

I came out to call the election for Bush's favor weeks ago, the day after the Republican convention, and these debates don't change my original assessment at that time. I still think the fat lady sang then and that Bush will win this election regardless.

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Surprises me. I guess they had some very high expectations for Kerry. I personally found it boring with both candidates continually returning to talking points that we've heard over and over. I was disappointed that Bush missed so many chances to challenge Kerry and yelled what he should have said from my living room but he apparently didn't listen to me. A summit? What the hell is that gonna do. Our troops in Korea and Viet Nam sat around and got blasted while the politicians argued what shape the table should be! Bi-latereal talks in N.Korea ? Whats this double standard??--Go it alone in N.Korea but have summits regarding Iraq?
    The problem Bush had is that he plans to stay the course and was forced to simply repeat his answers, while Kerry had to convince people that he had one so appeared as though he had a lot to say. Unfortunatley, He AGAIN never said how he intended to get foreign help. I guess he thinks he's a nicer guy or something?
    I was yelling " BLAST THE UN " but that fell on deaf ears too. I guess both of em just tried to stay outta major mistakes. I was bored and disappointed
    (oh ya--where is kerry going to get these 2 extra divisions that he wants to send to Iraq? I thought he said we were already spread too thin ! )

6. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    apparently kerry wants to add 40,000 troops to the army (something pres. bush is quietly preparing to do as well sooner than later)

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Are we talking draft here ?

8. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i hope not.

i think 400,000 americans would answer the call if pres. bush asked for them to join up. dunno know about a pres. kerry, but i hope he would be able to unite the country to some extent (just as i hope pres. bush can in his 2nd term to some extent)

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Guess it's up to the spinmeisters now. While I think Kerry was a smoother debater, nothing really new was introduced into the mix except Kerry wants a summit. Basically we still have Bush not wanting to suck up to the global comunity and for the US to maintain it's independence and Kerry wants to make sure everything we do is ok with the rest of world. Lot's of small soundbites that can be exagerrated for spin purposes. Did you notice that Kerry basically said that he wanted to share the spoils of war with other countries? He wants to split up Iraq like it's a pizza.

10. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167

I agree, I was also bored and underwhelmed by both sides in the debate.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/...html?SITE=WIMIL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Bush:
    On Iraq:
    "It's hard work!"

11 F*CKING TIMES?

"Wrong war, wrong...etc"

Repeated 7 MORE TIMES?

Kerry:

"KERRY: I have no intention of wilting. I've never wilted in my life. And I've never wavered in my life."

:bsflag:

I know exactly what we need to do in Iraq, and my position has been consistent: Saddam Hussein is a threat. He needed to be disarmed. We needed to go to the U.N. The president needed the authority to use force in order to be able to get him to do something, because he never did it without the threat of force."

Eureka. Now that force has been used and the threat is diminished, what say Kerry?

"I've had one position, one consistent position, that Saddam Hussein was a threat."

"And Iraq is not even the center of the focus of the war on terror."

But still a threat?

"You don't send troops to war without the body armor that they need."

Which Kerry voted against, not Bush, strangely.

On N.K., however:

"Just because the president says it can't be done, that you'd lose China, doesn't mean it can't be done. I mean, this is the president who said "There were weapons of mass destruction," said "Mission accomplished," said we could fight the war on the cheap -- none of which were true.

Mixing Iraq and N.K. isn't he?

"We could have bilateral talks with Kim Jong Il. And we can get those weapons at the same time as we get China. Because China has an interest in the outcome, too. "

We'll 'get' China? WTF?

"Thirty-five to forty countries in the world had a greater capability of making weapons at the moment the president invaded than Saddam Hussein."

But,

"We had Saddam Hussein trapped."

Yet,

"I'll never give a veto to any country over our security. But I also know how to lead those alliances. "

However,

"KERRY: With respect to Iran, the British, French, and Germans were the ones who initiated an effort without the United States, regrettably, to begin to try to move to curb the nuclear possibilities in Iran. I believe we could have done better. I think the United States should have offered the opportunity to provide the nuclear fuel, test them, see whether or not they were actually looking for it for peaceful purposes. If they weren't willing to work a deal, then we could have put sanctions together. The president did nothing. "

I was irritated with Bush repeating his coached statements 7&11 times each and couldn't lay into Kerry on his in-debate flip flops, but it doesn't concern me, given Kerry's performance either.