Justice Scalia: 'Why no ancient Greek gay marriages?'

Hey Justice Scalia, why not ancient judges not well-versed in Torah though well-versed in other areas of knowledge? :)

Not to appoint as a judge, a person who is not well versed in the laws of the Torah, even if he is expert in other branches of knowledge (Deut. 1:17)

One thing my daddy taught me is to never assume that people in power are more intelligent than I. In fact, some of the stupidest things come out of the mouths of Ivy League government people. Had Scalia known anything about Rome and Greek societies, he might not have cited them as paragons of virtue. I like him in general as a SC justice, but right now I'm doing a face palm.

Hey Justice Scalia, why not ancient judges not well-versed in Torah though well-versed in other areas of knowledge? :)

Not to appoint as a judge, a person who is not well versed in the laws of the Torah, even if he is expert in other branches of knowledge (Deut. 1:17)

One thing my daddy taught me is to never assume that people in power are more intelligent than I. In fact, some of the stupidest things come out of the mouths of Ivy League government people. Had Scalia known anything about Rome and Greek societies, he might not have cited them as paragons of virtue. I like him in general as a SC justice, but right now I'm doing a face palm.

So do I. He and I are both 'plain-text meaning' people. But in this instance he's trying to say marriage of today is the same as marriage in anicnet times. Marriage didn't become an optional thing when you're in love until relatively recently. Like last hundred years or so.

The ancient Greeks had slaves too

Is that part of Scalias model?

The ancient Greeks had slaves too

Is that part of Scalias model?
The Greeks and Romans were brutal, oppressive empires that crushed all dissent, persecuted people of competing religions, and allowed children to be sexually exploited. This is the point. They are in no way models of what a just society should look like. I can't believe someone would claim that a society that practiced pederasty was ok because at least they didn't allow gay marriage. Talk about mixed up priorities!

Time for Scalia to retire, the old noggin is going soft.

When a Republican is president, of course.

I thought going outside of American law was frowned on by you freaks to the far right.
Not when it comes to this. Scalia makes a damn fine point. You can see he has God in his heart.
The point is pointless. There is no logical reason whatsoever to base contemporary values on the values or mores of Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, or any other ancient culture.

I thought going outside of American law was frowned on by you freaks to the far right.
Not when it comes to this. Scalia makes a damn fine point. You can see he has God in his heart.

Yeah, you mean "not when it favors our opinion". Whether Scalia has God in his heart or not is not relevant. He must rule based on the US Constitution, not his sunday school lessons.

By the end of June, the far right reactionaries will be cyring for eternity on this issue, just like the KKK of shootspeeders and S. J.

By the end of June, the far right reactionaries will be cyring for eternity on this issue, just like the KKK of shootspeeders and S. J.

I don't think it's the right that will be crying for eternity. Read the Bible. Repent. Beg for forgiveness and be saved.
The far right social cons do not know Jesus is your point.

Actually we do. Our Jesus exists. The South Park plastic dash board Jesus of the Left does not. The real Jesus calls all sinners to repentance, forgiveness of sins, and eternal life. That includes me and that includes you.

I don't think it's the right that will be crying for eternity. Read the Bible. Repent. Beg for forgiveness and be saved.
The far right social cons do not know Jesus is your point.

Actually we do. Our Jesus exists. The South Park plastic dash board Jesus of the Left does not. The real Jesus calls all sinners to repentance, forgiveness of sins, and eternal life. That includes me and that includes you.

Of course, He does, but He does not leave judgement up to you, demonmike.

It's called history. You should consider consulting it sometime.
Yet it's outside American jurisprudence, and you believe nothing should be considered out of it.
You're making shit up to substantiate your own misapprehensions.
That is an Alinsky Rushbo projection remark.

Forum List

Back