Justice Scalia: 'Why no ancient Greek gay marriages?'

I thought that homo-sexual marriage was going to destroy the US?
But...now you're saying that neither Greece nor Rome allowed homo-sexual marriage...and I note that both empires have disappeared.
Why would you want to repeat their mistake?
The demise was due to no objections to homo sex. Homo marriage would have sped it up.

But...now you're saying that neither Greece nor Rome allowed homo-sexual marriage...and I note that both empires have disappeared.

It will. Just as one of the Justices asked:

If Jill loves tom and joe love tom, why can Jill marry tom, but joe can't?

Expand that why can't Jill and Joe marry Tom?

Hell, why can't Medford Oregon marry Tom? Or Tom Marry the nation of Mexico?

I've solved gay marriage, polygamy AND illegal immigration in friggin record time!

Two birds with one stone?

AND, what does this Tom guy got that I dont?

The demise was due to no objections to homo sex. Homo marriage would have sped it up.
Aah, I see.
I'll go back and consult my Gibbons.
Which page was it on again...?

I've never understood the insistence on calling it by the name 'marriage' for homosexuals, but of course any two adults have as much right as any other two to form a union.
Has anyone pointed out that Greece and Rome also had total acceptance of slavery? That wars of conquest were normal? That racism was absolute? Those civilizations were just part of the evolution of human experience and thought. They are to be studied for their successes and their failures; to be learned from, not copied.

I've never understood the insistence on calling it by the name 'marriage' for homosexuals, but of course any two adults have as much right as any other two to form a union.
Has anyone pointed out that Greece and Rome also had total acceptance of slavery? That wars of conquest were normal? That racism was absolute? Those civilizations were just part of the evolution of human experience and thought. They are to be studied for their successes and their failures; to be learned from, not copied.
Someone should told the Founders.

Spartans and other Greeks didn't have recourse to Article 4, Section 2 of our federal Constitution.
Neither does the fag militia. It doesn't address lifestyle choice.
Article 4, section 2 specifically covers the several citizens in the several States.

Only infidels, protestants, and renegades are that hypocritical to a god through rendering unto Caesar.

And, it shows when they try to muster honest Indjeun contingents. :p

The justice [Scalia] noted the Greeks and Romans had no moral disapproval of homosexual relations, yet neither culture ever considered approving same-sex marriage. The implication was that those cultures must have found it would cause some sort of harm to society.

GO SCALIA!

Scalia Why no ancient Greek gay marriages

Classic Greek marriage wasn't about love but uniting two families for power and wealth. Marriages were arranged by the parents, not entered into out of love. It's thus not a fair comparison to marriages of today which are only about love (ideally anyway.) Since offspring was desired from marriages, while homosexual marriages were almost unheard of, it's not out of any condemnation of homosexuality or homosexual love. Most marrieds still continued their homosexual relationships freely and openly despite being married. As one author of the time wrote (paraphrasing)

"Women are for making babies. Men are for having fun."

Spartans and other Greeks didn't have recourse to Article 4, Section 2 of our federal Constitution.
Article 4, section 2 specifically covers the several citizens in the several States.

Only infidels, protestants, and renegades are that hypocritical to a god through rendering unto Caesar.

It doesn't address lifestyle choice, skid mark.

Privileges and immunities are included as lifestyle choices, Person on the Right.

Privileges and immunities are included as lifestyle choices, Person on the Right.
No it doesn't, skid mark.

No it doesn't, skid mark.
Yes, it does, punkin.

Hey Justice Scalia, why no ancient judges not well-versed in Torah though well-versed in other areas of knowledge? :)

Not to appoint as a judge, a person who is not well versed in the laws of the Torah, even if he is expert in other branches of knowledge (Deut. 1:17)

Forum List

Back