Just saw Lincoln. Amazing film.

Can anyone possibly defend slavery?

Lincoln tried to make slavery protected by the Constitution.
Northern-Permanent-Slavery-Amendment
lincoln_endorses_slavery_amendment_Statutes-610x1024.jpg

Above is the Northern Permanent Slavery Amendment that would have guaranteed
permanent slavery in the United States and which was passed by the U.S. Congress
on the same day the highest import tax in U. S. history was enacted, the Morrill Tariff
Act of 1861.

What part of "preserve the union at all costs" are you failing to grasp?

So saint Lincoln wasn't a saint at all.

For a dictator, he sure had a hard time getting the 13th amendment passed
Could it be because Abraham Lincoln died 8 months (April 14, 1865) before the 13th Amendment passed? (Dec. 6, 1865) :eusa_shifty:

we'll add how an amendment is passed to the list of things you don't know.

Amending the Constitution: The Meaning of Article V
Sorry, del. I typed in the first date from a source that said it was passed Dec. 6. Other sources I checked after clicking said it was January 13. I was wrong. I apologize to rightwinger and to you for your trouble. ;)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the outcome had the pro-slavery amendment been passed? How would that have affected the U.S. in the passage of time?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the outcome had the pro-slavery amendment been passed? How would that have affected the U.S. in the passage of time?

Slavery would have ended soon anyway; it is an unworkable economic system for many reasons, not the least of which are lack of internal markets and the insupportable long-term balance of trade.

The mere inhumanity of it may have counted as well.

Slavery would have ended soon anyway; it is an unworkable economic system for many reasons, not the least of which are lack of internal markets and the insupportable long-term balance of trade.

Again I hate it when people use the image from uncle toms cabin to depict how it was.Ever wondered about those conditions of factory workers up north?

Again I hate it when people use the image from uncle toms cabin to depict how it was.Ever wondered about those conditions of factory workers up north?
As opposed to the image from Gone with the Wind.....

Lincoln - one of my favs
People like him and Nixon did more for civil rights than ant Democrap ever did

Lincoln - one of my favs
People like him and Nixon did more for civil rights than ant Democrap ever did

You pretty much took the very words right out of my mouth...I was going to write the same, President Abraham Lincoln has been one of my favorite presidents since gradeschool.
As far as Nixon? Eh...

As far as Nixon? Eh...

Did shitloads for Equal Rights movement.

So yeah - he fucked up. Recorded some shit in a hotel room

Nothing as vile as a blow job in office

At least Nixon resigned with dignity like a man, vs. a redneck impeached disbarred adultering lying under oath POS from Arkansas

“Lincoln,” a revealing drama that focuses on the 16th President’s tumultuous final months in office. In a nation divided by war and the strong winds of change, Lincoln pursues a course of action designed to end the war, unite the country and abolish slavery. With the moral courage and fierce determination to succeed, his choices during this critical moment will change the fate of generations to come.
I wonder if they told the truth or made the south out to be evil?
Never mind I know

no, they were truthful

the south came across as whiny and stupid, but not evil

They haven't changed much in over 150 years then.

As far as Nixon? Eh...

Did shitloads for Equal Rights movement.

So yeah - he fucked up. Recorded some shit in a hotel room

Nothing as vile as a blow job in office

At least Nixon resigned with dignity like a man, vs. a redneck impeached disbarred adultering lying under oath POS from Arkansas

You may have a point...but, even so, Clinton remains another fave of mine.
Even if he did get a blow job by someone other than his wife...that matter should have remained private between the parties involved and not for the blood-thirsty media to announce to the world.
Either way, you made me laugh...(in a good way, not being a smartass) ;)

As opposed to the image from Gone with the Wind.....

In a word NO

im sure it was a great movie......what i wanna know is....did they talk about what he did in his spare time?....how did he become a Vampire Slayer?.....:eusa_eh:

Forum List

Back