Just saw Lincoln. Amazing film.

I was hoping the film would examine Lincoln's violation of the constitution and his dictatorial behavior.

When the country has a gun to its head....

Do you play by the rules? I say no.

Desperate times call for desperate actions. It was not a time to play by the book, it was a time to write a new book

I was hoping the film would examine Lincoln's violation of the constitution and his dictatorial behavior.

When the country has a gun to its head....

Do you play by the rules? I say no.

Desperate times call for desperate actions. It was not a time to play by the book, it was a time to write a new book

The book in this case is the US Constitution
Even today, This is the explanation use by the Bush and Obama Administrations for Patriot Act.

Last edited:
They love tyranny. It's necessary when other people wont comply with your demands. Fuck the declaration of Independents. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Throw it out and rewrite something that makes them comply with your demands.

Imagine Lincoln as a Napoleon; things would have been disastrously different. Really, he was an intelligent and sensitive man in an indescribably difficult situation. What better leader and what better result could one hope for? Perfection was not possible. The Constitutional trespasses are disagreeable, true, but it doesn't seem he did it for personal aggrandizement.

Last edited:
he did keep the Maryland state government from convening. he suspend habeas corpus in Maryland, He freed no slaves held in the north he had people detained without cause.

I would argue that preserving the union was the cause.

If the union back then was anything it is today I don't blame the south not one bit.

If the south today were anything like it was back then, it would deserve to be crushed.

Last edited:
Can anyone possibly defend slavery?

Lincoln tried to make slavery protected by the Constitution.
Northern-Permanent-Slavery-Amendment
lincoln_endorses_slavery_amendment_Statutes-610x1024.jpg

Above is the Northern Permanent Slavery Amendment that would have guaranteed
permanent slavery in the United States and which was passed by the U.S. Congress
on the same day the highest import tax in U. S. history was enacted, the Morrill Tariff
Act of 1861.

permanent slavery in the United States and which was passed by the U.S. Congress
on the same day the highest import tax in U. S. history was enacted, the Morrill Tariff
Act of 1861.

:lmao:

you redefine abject stupidity every time you post.

Act of 1861.

What part of "preserve the union at all costs" are you failing to grasp?

Right down to the dialogue..this film nails the period..

One of the reviews I have read on this film says that Lincoln sounds like Mr Burns from the Simpsons.

i'd stop reading reviews from highlights for children, if i were you.

Why do you have to be an ass?
I was just passing along something I had read. I have no desire to see the movie, don't care about it.
If case you wanted to read the article here's the link:
Daniel Day-Lewis faces criticism for giving a voice to Abraham Lincoln - Telegraph

Act of 1861.

:lmao:

you redefine abject stupidity every time you post.
You hate facts don't you?

One of the reviews I have read on this film says that Lincoln sounds like Mr Burns from the Simpsons.

I was just passing along something I had read. I have no desire to see the movie, don't care about it.
Daniel Day-Lewis faces criticism for giving a voice to Abraham Lincoln - Telegraph
Because del can't make a defense against facts so he reverts to being childish.

i'm terribly sorry

Forum List

Back