Just How Bad Is the US Cost-of-Living Squeeze? We Did the Math

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
50089c5398700c5776c2893ca6905452539cef85.jpg

After years of inflation, US consumers are shouldering a burden unlike anything seen in decades — even as the pace of price increases has slowed.

It now requires $119.27 to buy the same goods and services a family could afford with $100 before the pandemic. Since early 2020, prices have risen about as much as they had in the full 10 years preceding the health emergency.

It’s hard to find an area of a household budget that’s been spared: Groceries are up 25% since January 2020. Same with electricity. Used-car prices have climbed 35%, auto insurance 33% and rents roughly 20%.

Those figures help explain why Americans continue to register strong dissatisfaction with the economy: Consumers’ daily routines have largely returned to their pre-pandemic normal, but the cost of living has not.
200w.gif

Well It’s Mostly Transitory. ;)

With shrinkflation the cost is probably up over 75% on lots of stuff at the grocery store.

That said Americans spent $12B on Halloween candy and yard crap in 2023 so it's really hard to feel sorry for the spendthrifts.

However the above shows that our priorities are askew as we have yet to see hard times where we really have to pay attention with our dollars.....As worthless as they are now.

You know Covid is still a thing right…...But no one gives a fuck now that the dem's wealth and political transfer strategy played out.

Americans are paying on average nearly 700 .00 more a month since dims took over in 2020 .

Well it's not our fault. Perhaps Capitalism is just another failing ISM?

From 1978 to now unregulated free market capitalism has drove up the CEO's pay 1322% and our pay in all that time only went up 18%. No coincidence. As union membership went from 35% to 6% of our workforce, wages stalled. No shocker there.

And I don't have to tell you that this is Trumps fault. I'll let a couple of Republicans tell you

Ron DeSantis and Chris Christie Call Out Trump for Adding to Federal Debt​

"He owes it to you to defend his record where they added $7.8 trillion to the debt that set the stage for the inflation that we have."​

Ask Wanker .
Then take the reciprocal of his garbage answer, multiply by 1.352 . and allow average food inflation at 10.75 % where that sector accounts for 43.4 % of total .
Remember , he is never right so this basic inversion result will guarantee an accurate answer .,

50089c5398700c5776c2893ca6905452539cef85.jpg

After years of inflation, US consumers are shouldering a burden unlike anything seen in decades — even as the pace of price increases has slowed.

It now requires $119.27 to buy the same goods and services a family could afford with $100 before the pandemic. Since early 2020, prices have risen about as much as they had in the full 10 years preceding the health emergency.

It’s hard to find an area of a household budget that’s been spared: Groceries are up 25% since January 2020. Same with electricity. Used-car prices have climbed 35%, auto insurance 33% and rents roughly 20%.

Those figures help explain why Americans continue to register strong dissatisfaction with the economy: Consumers’ daily routines have largely returned to their pre-pandemic normal, but the cost of living has not.
200w.gif

Well It’s Mostly Transitory. ;)

With shrinkflation the cost is probably up over 75% on lots of stuff at the grocery store.

That said Americans spent $12B on Halloween candy and yard crap in 2023 so it's really hard to feel sorry for the spendthrifts.

However the above shows that our priorities are askew as we have yet to see hard times where we really have to pay attention with our dollars.....As worthless as they are now.

You know Covid is still a thing right…...But no one gives a fuck now that the dem's wealth and political transfer strategy played out.
I remember back at the beginning of the huge inflation spike we were told by KJP et al that it was transitory/temporary. Well it hasn't been has it. And they can tell us now that inflation is receding, but when we don't see it at the super market, in other necessities we have to pay for, it feels like the government is lying to us.

I remember back at the beginning of the huge inflation spike we were told by KJP et al that it was transitory/temporary. Well it hasn't been has it. And they can tell us now that inflation is receding, but when we don't see it at the super market, in other necessities we have to pay for, it feels like the government is lying to us.

Inflation receding does not mean prices are going back down, just means the rise is slowing down to normal rates.

Prices almost never go back down after periods of inflation and after a couple of years salaries catch back up to the prices

Inflation receding does not mean prices are going back down, just means the rise is slowing down to normal rates.

Prices almost never go back down after periods of inflation and after a couple of years salaries catch back up to the prices
I have been buying groceries and paying bills for a very long time now.

I have seen been or pork or poultry prices significantly rise when there was some kind of epidemic among the animals or imports from some country like Canada were banned for a bit. I have seen gasoline prices spike sharply when OPEC curtailed operations or a hurricane caused us to shut down coastal refineries or such.

But when those events were over, prices dropped back to close to what they had been before.

That isn't happening now. Prices didn't drop back to close to where they normally were before so a lower rate of inflation while welcome doesn't help struggling Americans all that much.

I have been buying groceries and paying bills for a very long time now.

I have seen been or pork or poultry prices significantly rise when there was some kind of epidemic among the animals or imports from some country like Canada were banned for a bit. I have seen gasoline prices spike sharply when OPEC curtailed operations or a hurricane caused us to shut down coastal refineries or such.

But when those events were over, prices dropped back to close to what they had been before.

That isn't happening now. Prices didn't drop back to close to where they normally were before so a lower rate of inflation while welcome doesn't help struggling Americans all that much.

Those rises in cost are not inflation, they are, as you pointed out, the result of specific events.

Also, gasoline is an outlier as it is constantly in flux unlike most commodities.

The cost of pork went up 36% between 2000 and 2019.

The cost of beef went up 136% between 2000 and 2019.

It is called inflation and those prices will never be what they were.

Inflation is not caused by any event!

Gatorbreath economic news @ 11.

not something like a hurricane or the swine flu.

We always have inflation, it is the cost of progress.

The cost of beef went up 136% between 2000 and 2019. That was not due to a single event.

The cost of a home went up by 81% between 2000 and 2019, that was not due to a single event.

You try so hard to have a gotcha moment with me and all you ever do is make yourself look even more foolish than the last time

Those rises in cost are not inflation, they are, as you pointed out, the result of specific events.

Also, gasoline is an outlier as it is constantly in flux unlike most commodities.

The cost of pork went up 36% between 2000 and 2019.

The cost of beef went up 136% between 2000 and 2019.

It is called inflation and those prices will never be what they were.
Inflation is inflation no matter what causes it.

Inflation is inflation no matter what causes it.

The price of gas going up for a few weeks due to a hurricane is not inflation.

You would do well to educate yourself on what inflation is, and is not.

The price of gas going up for a few weeks due to a hurricane is not inflation.

You would do well to educate yourself on what inflation is, and is not.
Definition of inflation:
ECONOMICS
a general increase in prices and fall in the purchasing value of money.

Now if you have a different definition by all means educate us. I, however, have actually taken some economics courses.

not something like a hurricane or the swine flu.

We always have inflation, it is the cost of progress.

The cost of beef went up 136% between 2000 and 2019. That was not due to a single event.

The cost of a home went up by 81% between 2000 and 2019, that was not due to a single event.

You try so hard to have a gotcha moment with me and all you ever do is make yourself look even more foolish than the last time
Yes, beef was a single event.

Every year Democrats make it more costly to provide beef.
1701107436831.png

Same with housing. Every year harder and harder to build new homes as Democrats flood America with illegals. Nobody can cheaply build or has a motive to rent.
1701107830715.png

1701107874368.png

Definition of inflation:
ECONOMICS
a general increase in prices and fall in the purchasing value of money.

Now if you have a different definition by all means educate us. I, however, have actually taken some economics courses.

Yes, the general increase in prices and fall in the purchasing value of money.

That would not include gas going up for a week or two due to a hurricane or pork going up for a few months due to the swine flu.

Yes, beef was a single event.

which SINGLE event caused beef to rise by 136% between 2000 and 2019?

Same with housing.

The $93,000 added to the price of house accounts for less than half of the rise in prices. And again, is not a single event.

Words have meanings even if your feelings do not like them.

it is also noted that you have no links, just pictures that for all I know you made yourself.

Forum List

Back