Judge dismisses Newtown families’ lawsuit against gun maker

Vigilante

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2014
Waiting on the Cowardly Dante!!
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — A Connecticut judge has dismissed a lawsuit by Newtown families against the maker of the rifle used in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting, saying federal law shields gun manufacturers from most lawsuits over criminal use of their products.

Superior Court Judge Barbara Bellis on Friday granted a motion by Madison, North Carolina-based Remington Arms to strike the lawsuit by the families of nine children and adults killed and a teacher who survived the 2012 attack. A gunman killed 20 children and six adults at the school with an AR-15-style rifle.

(Excerpt) Read more at wtnh.com ...

5th anniversary of attack on Sandy Hook already...
icon9.png

Five Years Have Passed Since Sandy Hook Massacre
December 11, 2017 - The small town of Newtown, Connecticut lives in a world still shaped by the morning of Dec. 14, 2012.
Newtown, Conn., mother Erin Nikitchyuk, like many in her small town, lives in a world still shaped by the morning of Dec. 14, 2012. It’s the small things that stir her emotions, the subtle reminders of what happened after a heavily armed madman parked his car outside the Sandy Hook Elementary School. Just sitting behind the wheel as she drives from her house off Route 34 to the interstate is a frequent trigger. “You pass the houses that should have a child playing in the driveway,” she says, “and you say the names.”

There were 20 slain kids, each with a promising past that belied the heartbreak of their lost future: Avielle Rose Richman, age 6, whose family made a new home in Newtown after moving from California. Six-year-old Noah Pozner — with his tousled hair and bright smile, the youngest of all the victims — was buried the same day as classmate Jack Pinto, a sports fanatic who loved the New York Giants and Victor Cruz. Josephine Grace Gay, whose family celebrated her 7th birthday only three days earlier. She would have turned 12 this month. “Sometimes it feels like yesterday,” said Nikitchyuk, whose son Bear emerged intact after bullets whizzed past his head and killed his classmates. “Sometimes it seems like it was us — but it was a long time ago. “Sometimes it seems like it was somebody else and I just read about it.”

US_NEWS_CONN_SCHOOLSHOOTING_ANNIVERSARY_12_NY.5a2ee0dbe6a2f.jpg

Graves of victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School buried at Newtown Village Cemetery on Wednesday, Nov. 29, 2017 in Newtown, Conn.​

As the fifth anniversary of the mass shooting approaches, a dark cloud descending on the suburban town of 27,000, the totems of that terrible day linger amid the central Connecticut landscape. Unseasonably warm December weather, particularly on a Friday. Two frisky shelter cats named Catalina and Sandy. Purple balloons floating above local mailboxes. Framed photos harking back to happier times. The altar inside the St. Rose of Lima church. “It’s still very real,” said the Rev. Robert Weiss, who presided over funeral upon funeral that endless winter. “I think about it a lot. I have a lot of flashbacks.”

Pictures of Lauren Rousseau are spread through her father Gilles’ house on the outskirts of Newtown. The 30-year-old substitute teacher, one of six school staffers killed that day, tried unsuccessfully to lock the shooter out of her first-grade classroom, giving her life in hopes of saving her students. “I like looking at photos of her,” the dad said about his daughter’s continued presence in his home. “She makes me happy. When I look at her picture, it just makes me smile. She loved the beach.” Rousseau tries not to think about the what-ifs: “I don’t try to imagine what it would be like. Maybe she’d be married by now?” But Rousseau can’t shake the sound of his ringing phone inside a movie theater where he had gone to see the new Steven Spielberg-Daniel Day Lewis movie “Lincoln.” His brother was calling. There was a shooting at the school. Had Rousseau heard anything? He rushed to Sandy Hook to find something beyond a nightmare. “It was chaotic, crazy,” he recalled. “Too many policemen, too many people in the crime scene.”

MORE

Forum List

Back