John Boehner and Republicans want YOU to pick up BP's Tab

I do not know if this is a repeat as I have not read the entire thread:

Boehner: No Taxpayer Funds for Cleaning Up BP’s Oil Spill

Minority leader Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio) is calling a foul on reporters circulating what he told TPMDC’s Brian Beutler this morning — that “BP and the federal government should take full responsibility for what’s happening”

Boehner: No Taxpayer Funds for Cleaning Up BP?s Oil Spill - www.frumforum.com

Boehner: No, I don't want taxpayer dollars used to clean up after BP

The "responsibility" Boehner was talking about was not taxpayer money cleaning up the spill. It was whatever reform and restructuring comes after the leak is stopped. As Boehner put it this morning, his preferred plan of action is "figure out what the hell went wrong, and then have the hearing and get the damn law fixed!"

Right Now - Boehner: No, I don't want taxpayer dollars used to clean up after BP

Because they have taxed oil for years to create a pool of money to deal with disasters.

Are you saying there is a "trust fund" set aside for this? :eek:

I suspect the taxpayers are going to have to fund a huge portion of the clean up of this, but I don't think we should have to. BTW: It will be our great great grandchildren that end up paying the bill.

Immie

Well, yes. That's the dirty little secret they don't want to discuss. But the fact is they have collected $1.5B just for such a disaster as we are now experiencing. There is plenty of unspent Stimulus Pork that could be allocated to the Pretend Oil Disaster Clean Up Trust Fund.

The porkulus is pure debt spending. That money doesn't exist either. BP should be paying for the mess they caused. The taxpayers shouldn't be paying a dime of it.

There is a 'bailout' argument developing around BP's predicament, and it's based on a theme of too big to fail.

And as we see, conservatives are intrigued by the idea. Irony of the week.

So Boehner has backed off now? I guess the kitchen was getting a little hot for him. He will have to come up with another idea to help his oil buddies.

CaféAuLait;2398251 said:
I do not know if this is a repeat as I have not read the entire thread:

Boehner: No Taxpayer Funds for Cleaning Up BP’s Oil Spill

Minority leader Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio) is calling a foul on reporters circulating what he told TPMDC’s Brian Beutler this morning — that “BP and the federal government should take full responsibility for what’s happening”

Boehner: No Taxpayer Funds for Cleaning Up BP?s Oil Spill - www.frumforum.com

Boehner: No, I don't want taxpayer dollars used to clean up after BP

The "responsibility" Boehner was talking about was not taxpayer money cleaning up the spill. It was whatever reform and restructuring comes after the leak is stopped. As Boehner put it this morning, his preferred plan of action is "figure out what the hell went wrong, and then have the hearing and get the damn law fixed!"

Right Now - Boehner: No, I don't want taxpayer dollars used to clean up after BP

You Republican sheep are so funny! When you thought your leader had advised to use tax payer money to help BP, you actually were coming up with all kinds of reasons to follow him. Amazing! You guys have really got to get the frigin ring out of your collective noses.

THAT WAS VERY FUNNY! Can you all say BAAAAAAAA in unison? :lol:

What you are overlooking is this fact. The U.S. government is responsible to a degree....we gave BP the license and approved their drilling plan without an adequate back up plan for a disaster....hence...where we are today.

There is no known adaquete method for dealing with a blowout like this. Not even in shallow water, as the Mexican blowout demonstrated.

Best plan, no more drilling offshore. The risk is hardly worth the oil.

Well, yes. That's the dirty little secret they don't want to discuss. But the fact is they have collected $1.5B just for such a disaster as we are now experiencing. There is plenty of unspent Stimulus Pork that could be allocated to the Pretend Oil Disaster Clean Up Trust Fund.

The porkulus is pure debt spending. That money doesn't exist either. BP should be paying for the mess they caused. The taxpayers shouldn't be paying a dime of it.

Every penny we spend at this point is debt spending. Doesn't matter where it came from, who it was borrowed from, or what it was intended for. Money is fungible; it's like multiple pockets on one pair of jeans.

Because they have taxed oil for years to create a pool of money to deal with disasters.

You are a fucking hack idiot.

By the way, Boner backed off this leaving you blowing in the wind, dumb ass.

YUO = Moron

The Feds have collected an 8 cent per barrel tax for years to pay for dealing with oil spills (for a cumulative amount of $1.5B). Instead of actually doing something to contain this one in order to prevent further damage, Obama is twiddling his thumbs. Why on earth should the Feds collect a tax to deal with disasters and then not spend the money to deal with them when they do occur?

The wind you hear blowing is the gusts between your ears, idiot.

We don't know that yet - and it's cold comfort to allow the damage to continue while the Feds standby holding the $1.5B they've collected in taxes for oil disaster relief.

:eek: That's not the American way. The American way is to scream hysterically and use media provided 'facts' to nail anyone as long as it isn't us. Boycott BP - never mind the FACT that by doing so, we don't hurt BP - we hurt individual Americans who bought franchises in good faith. Destroy the company - never mind that millions of Americans' pension funds own shares in BP.... along with hundreds of thousands of British pensioners. None of these people is responsible but don't let that stop us.... We may have once been a nation capable of rational thought - but no more.

And, let's not overlook the interesting, but not factually accurate, name..... Le'ts point out it's called British Petroleum - despite the FACT that it hasn't been called BRITISH Petroleum in years.... half it's board members are American, it employs about 10,000 people in Britain and 29,000 in America. It's a multi-national company. But that doesn't suit the Obama Administration, nor does it suit the MSM. So, let's brush over that little fact.

If Americans would THINK instead of getting their 'facts' from the media, we'd be a smarter country. But it takes effort - and Americans are lazy.

Last edited:

You are a fucking hack idiot.

By the way, Boner backed off this leaving you blowing in the wind, dumb ass.

YUO = Moron

The Feds have collected an 8 cent per barrel tax for years to pay for dealing with oil spills (for a cumulative amount of $1.5B). Instead of actually doing something to contain this one in order to prevent further damage, Obama is twiddling his thumbs. Why on earth should the Feds collect a tax to deal with disasters and then not spend the money to deal with them when they do occur?

The wind you hear blowing is the gusts between your ears, idiot.

Anyone else wondering where that money is?

If they had done what they were supposed to do, then we wouldn't have to worry about BP paying for it.... and, let's not overlook the fact that, so far, BP have not attempted to negate their financial responsibility for the clean up.

Funny...I saw a discussion on the governments response to the whole oil disaster and guess what....Americans are by a large margin very disastisfied with the governments response. This is called "blowback". You left wing ass holes were so fond of that term...until you all became a victim of your own inherent stupidity. You all can bitch and complain, point fingers but the oil is still flowing into the Gulf.

Last edited:

BP are paying for it.

But... that does not let the government off the hook for explaining where the $1.5bn is that they were supposed to have put aside for just this type of event. Let's not overlook the government's culpability in this whole debacle.

Why should the Federal Government pay a dime?
It's a little-late to be asking that question.

bush_republicard.jpg

There's also the consideration of what is the proper role of government. Doggie the Bubble Mod often confuses conservative belief in limited government with anarchical lack of government.

It is proper for the government to deal with large scale disasters which are beyond the scope of a local / state community. The U.S. government has assets (usually military related) which can serve a dual purpose for disaster mitigation. We've paid for them - why not use them, especially when TAXES HAVE BEEN COLLECTED to cover such incidents.

Because BP, which normally rakes in about $16B/month in profits was negligent?
How much money they get each month is inconsequential at this point. The fact is...the U.S. government approved their drilling plan without adequate safety measures in place. Obama said as much in his speech today. Therefore the U.S. government will end up shouldering some of the blame....and cost.
I'm sure the U.S. government that was in-control, at the time (i.e. BUSHCO) would be more-than-happy to accept any-and-all check$ you "conservatives" send them!!​

As to how much cost should be borne by the taxpayer? Let the courts decide ... not the Chamber of Commerce.
Hmmmmmmmmm.....so...we've got a foreign-owned company, that's entitled to all o' those privileges guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution, huh?

Maybe we're talkin' about a World Court???

:confused:

Because BP, which normally rakes in about $16B/month in profits was negligent?
How much money they get each month is inconsequential at this point. The fact is...the U.S. government approved their drilling plan without adequate safety measures in place. Obama said as much in his speech today. Therefore the U.S. government will end up shouldering some of the blame....and cost.

Whate happened to BP's safety measures? And since when have you ever been FOR government regulation of private corporations?
Easy, there....."conservatives" have a tendency to get a little-confused when backed-into a corner.

:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back