John Boehner and Republicans want YOU to pick up BP's Tab

Boedicca, you seem to be entirely ignoring the thread's premise and talking about something else completely.

U.S Chamber of Commerce, a close Republican ally wants the Public to foot half the final bill. Do you agree? John Boehner agrees with Donohue.

Do you know BP was negligent???

I thought the Govt had signed off on all that was required for this rig?? Yes??? NO????

What you are overlooking is this fact. The U.S. government is responsible to a degree....we gave BP the license and approved their drilling plan without an adequate back up plan for a disaster....hence...where we are today.

There's also the consideration of what is the proper role of government. Doggie the Bubble Mod often confuses conservative belief in limited government with anarchical lack of government.

It is proper for the government to deal with large scale disasters which are beyond the scope of a local / state community. The U.S. government has assets (usually military related) which can serve a dual purpose for disaster mitigation. We've paid for them - why not use them, especially when TAXES HAVE BEEN COLLECTED to cover such incidents.

Because BP, which normally rakes in about $16B/month in profits was negligent?
How much money they get each month is inconsequential at this point. The fact is...the U.S. government approved their drilling plan without adequate safety measures in place. Obama said as much in his speech today. Therefore the U.S. government will end up shouldering some of the blame....and cost.

Gee, the same argument about the Government not paying attention could be said of the Banks bailout since the Government didn't have proper regulations put in. Yet I'm willing to bet a good deal of money that most of you calling for BP to be bailed out didn't want those bailouts.

Consistency people.

Boedicca, you seem to be entirely ignoring the thread's premise and talking about something else completely.

U.S Chamber of Commerce, a close Republican ally wants the Public to foot half the final bill. Do you agree? John Boehner agrees with Donohue.

Why are you OK with the taxpayer paying for others insurance...a result of the apparent greed of the insurance industry

But...

You are against the tax payer paying for cleaning up the mess....an apparent result of an oil company negligence

That's not what he said; here are the direct quotes from the TPM link:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...-taxpayers--should-help-pay-for-oil-spill.php

Boehner's statement followed comments last Friday by US Chamber of Commerce CEO Tom Donohue who said he opposes efforts to stick BP, a member of the Chamber, with the bill. "It is generally not the practice of this country to change the laws after the game," he said. "Everybody is going to contribute to this clean up. We are all going to have to do it. We are going to have to get the money from the government and from the companies and we will figure out a way to do that."

So today I asked Boehner, "Do you agree with Tom Donohue of the Chamber that the government and taxpayers should pitch in to clean up the oil spill?" The shorter answer is yes.

Boehner answered in the affirmative that the government and taxpayer should "pitch in". There is nothing in that response to indicate splitting the costs in half. That is a false Leftwing Meme.

Considering that the Feds have collected $1.5 BILLION by taxing oil for the specific purpose of dealing with oil spill disasters, why on earth should money we have already paid be used to deal with this one?

The Chamber of Commerce is also taking a stand for not passing Ex Post Facto laws, something which is Unconstitutional.

Last edited:
Why are you OK with the taxpayer paying for others insurance...a result of the apparent greed of the insurance industry

But...

You are against the tax payer paying for cleaning up the mess....an apparent result of an oil company negligence

What? That doesn't even make sense or is relevant to this thread. Troll elsewhere.

There's also the consideration of what is the proper role of government. Doggie the Bubble Mod often confuses conservative belief in limited government with anarchical lack of government.

It is proper for the government to deal with large scale disasters which are beyond the scope of a local / state community. The U.S. government has assets (usually military related) which can serve a dual purpose for disaster mitigation. We've paid for them - why not use them, especially when TAXES HAVE BEEN COLLECTED to cover such incidents.

Because BP, which normally rakes in about $16B/month in profits was negligent?
How much money they get each month is inconsequential at this point. The fact is...the U.S. government approved their drilling plan without adequate safety measures in place. Obama said as much in his speech today. Therefore the U.S. government will end up shouldering some of the blame....and cost.

Whate happened to BP's safety measures? And since when have you ever been FOR government regulation of private corporations?

But...

What? That doesn't even make sense or is relevant to this thread. Troll elsewhere.

Pefectly applicable.
You just dont know how to respond without looking like a hypocrite.

Both are costly tax payer "initiatives" brought on by the negative actions of an industry

Gee, the same argument about the Government not paying attention could be said of the Banks bailout since the Government didn't have proper regulations put in. Yet I'm willing to bet a good deal of money that most of you calling for BP to be bailed out didn't want those bailouts.

Consistency people.

You obviously have no clue how the maritime industry or MODU/off shore drilling regulatory process works...I'll chalk that up to your youth and lack of experience in the real world.

This IS IN NO WAY comparable to a fucking bank bailout and regulations in place in the financial sector.

That's not what he said; here's a direct quote from the TPM link:

Boehner: Government--i.e. Taxpayers--Should Help Pay For Oil Spill | TPMDC

So today I asked Boehner, "Do you agree with Tom Donohue of the Chamber that the government and taxpayers should pitch in to clean up the oil spill?" The shorter answer is yes.

Boehner answered in the affirmative that the government and taxpayer should "pitch in". There is nothing in that response to indicate splitting the costs in half. That is a false Leftwing Meme.

Considering that the Feds have collected $1.5 BILLION by taxing oil for the specific purpose of dealing with oil spill disasters, why on earth should money we have already paid be used to deal with this one?

Perhaps you should reread the first two paragraphs:

Congressional Democrats and the White House are toying with different ways to force BP to cover the costs of damages from the Gulf oil spill. But they face stiff opposition from industry...and it seems leading Republicans. In response to a question from TPMDC, House Minority Leader John Boehner said he believes taxpayers should help pick up the tab for the clean up.

"I think the people responsible in the oil spill--BP and the federal government--should take full responsibility for what's happening there," Boehner said at his weekly press conference this morning.

And of course, now he supposedly clarifies:

Late update: Boehner spokesman Michael Steel emails to say "Boehner made a general statement about who is responsible for the spill, and the federal government oversight was clearly lacking, but he has said repeatedly that BP is responsible for the cost of the cleanup."

He knows full well that telling the taxpayers they're going to have to pay for half of BP's fuckup or even a good % is not going to go over well with voters.

I am telling you! If the Republcans want to shaft the tax payer by helping to bail BP out of this mess, it would be the best news the Dems have had in years! It would campaign slogan Numero Uno!

THE GOP WANTS TAX PAYERS TO HELP BP CLEAN UP THEIR MESS!

That will make SPILL BABY SPILL look anemic...:lol:

You obviously have no clue how the maritime industry or MODU/off shore drilling regulatory process works...I'll chalk that up to your youth and lack of experience in the real world.

This IS IN NO WAY comparable to a fucking bank bailout and regulations in place in the financial sector.

Both involve regulations, in the case of the oil spill, government failed on their end if I'm reading your post correctly.

My main point is this, there is no reason why the taxpayer has to be footed with half of the bill.

Nobody said HALF, that is bogus meme you are spreading.

Why should the Federal Government pay a dime?

You're right...the feds should sit on their asses while the oil wipes out the coast and the economy in Florida.

No, the Feds cleans it up and sends BP the bill for the WHOLE THING. YOU FRIGIN REPUBLICANS ARE HILLARIOUS! But please do keep pushing the Tax Payer helping BP idea. It is a great political platform...idiots

That's not what he said; here's a direct quote from the TPM link:

Boehner: Government--i.e. Taxpayers--Should Help Pay For Oil Spill | TPMDC

Perhaps you should reread the first two paragraphs:

Congressional Democrats and the White House are toying with different ways to force BP to cover the costs of damages from the Gulf oil spill. But they face stiff opposition from industry...and it seems leading Republicans. In response to a question from TPMDC, House Minority Leader John Boehner said he believes taxpayers should help pick up the tab for the clean up.

"I think the people responsible in the oil spill--BP and the federal government--should take full responsibility for what's happening there," Boehner said at his weekly press conference this morning.

And of course, now he supposedly clarifies:

Late update: Boehner spokesman Michael Steel emails to say "Boehner made a general statement about who is responsible for the spill, and the federal government oversight was clearly lacking, but he has said repeatedly that BP is responsible for the cost of the cleanup."

He knows full well that telling the taxpayers they're going to have to pay for half of BP's fuckup or even a good % is not going to go over well with voters.

Nowhere does he say half. You are making that up.

Forum List

Back