John Boehner and Republicans want YOU to pick up BP's Tab

Because BP, which normally rakes in about $16B/month in profits was negligent?
How much money they get each month is inconsequential at this point. The fact is...the U.S. government approved their drilling plan without adequate safety measures in place. Obama said as much in his speech today. Therefore the U.S. government will end up shouldering some of the blame....and cost.

Whate happened to BP's safety measures? And since when have you ever been FOR government regulation of private corporations?

Oh give me a fucking break...where have I said I wanted no regulation of industry....
I work in the oil industry and see DAILY what purpose various regulations serve.

What happened to BP's safety measures? What kind of jackass question is that? They HAD NONE!!!! The plan they had on paper WAS APPROVED BY MMS!!!!!! But that plan wasn't worth the paper it was typed on!

Nobody said HALF, that is bogus meme you are spreading.

From the original article:

"Everybody is going to contribute to this clean up; we are all going to have to do it," he said. "We are going to have to get the money from the government and from the companies and we will figure out a way to do that."

And when Donohue says "money from the government," that necessarily means money from American taxpayers. When he says "we" are "all" going to have to bear the financial burden, Donohue is suggesting the public and BP split the tab.

Of course, he's not going to come out and say it. However, you haven't answered my question on whether you believe the taxpayer should pay half the bill.

The Washington Monthly

BOEHNER WANTS YOU TO PICK UP THE TAB.... Tom Donohue, head of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, raised a few eyebrows last week when he addressed the costs of the BP oil spill disaster. While President Obama and congressional Democrats have been emphasizing the need for the oil giant to pay for its own catastrophe, Donohue said he wanted to spread the burden around.

"Everybody is going to contribute to this clean up; we are all going to have to do it," he said. "We are going to have to get the money from the government and from the companies and we will figure out a way to do that."

And when Donohue says "money from the government," that necessarily means money from American taxpayers. When he says "we" are "all" going to have to bear the financial burden, Donohue is suggesting the public and BP split the tab.

In response to a question from TPMDC, House Minority Leader John Boehner backed Tom Donohue, President of the Chamber of Commerce, in saying taxpayers should help pick up the tab.

"I think the people responsible in the oil spill -- BP and the federal government -- should take full responsibility for what's happening there." [...]

The Chamber is extremely influential in Republican politics, so on that level it's not particularly surprising that Boehner has Donohue's back on this one. But the politics of asking the federal government (i.e. taxpayers) to help cover the multi-billion dollar cleanup and rescue efforts are deadly. Look for Democrats to jump all over this one.

So, who's willing to hand over their paycheck to John and his GOP pals to pay for BP's mess? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

BP should first have to file bankrupcy and liquidate their assets to pay for it...if BP ends up not having enough assets to fix it THEN its obviously going to be everyone's problem.

However BP is not TOO BIG TO FAIL...NO BUSINESS IS!!!! So until BP is out of business and has had all its assetts liquidated I find this proposal by Boehner, another idiotic progressive repbulican, to be not only wrong but offensive.

If the Federal Government approves a plan AND the federal government collects $1.5B in taxes in case those plans go awry, then the Federal Government has an ethical and legal responsibility to use those taxes to mitigate damages cause by the federally approved plays going awry.

Just sayin'.

Why should the Federal Government pay a dime?

You're right...the feds should sit on their asses while the oil wipes out the coast and the economy in Florida.

No, the Feds cleans it up and sends BP the bill for the WHOLE THING. YOU FRIGIN REPUBLICANS ARE HILLARIOUS! But please do keep pushing the Tax Payer helping BP idea. It is a great political platform...idiots

Dense. Very Dense.

Who will do a better job cleaning your house...you or a house cleaner?

BP will do the bare minimum required by the government. CoC simply wants the best job done possible and the only way that will hapopen is with tax payer money.

But please, spin it all you want.

It makes you look silly.

You obviously have no clue how the maritime industry or MODU/off shore drilling regulatory process works...I'll chalk that up to your youth and lack of experience in the real world.

This IS IN NO WAY comparable to a fucking bank bailout and regulations in place in the financial sector.

Both involve regulations, in the case of the oil spill, government failed on their end if I'm reading your post correctly.

My main point is this, there is no reason why the taxpayer has to be footed with half of the bill.

The courts will determine how much burden the government will shoulder...it certainly won't be half....and the fine BP is going to have to pay will offset any burden placed on the taxpayer.

Nobody said HALF, that is bogus meme you are spreading.

From the original article:

Of course, he's not going to come out and say it. However, you haven't answered my question on whether you believe the taxpayer should pay half the bill.

Again, you are reading into it what you want to spin. He doesn't say taxpayers should pay half. The author is speculating.

And even splitting a tab doesn't mean 50/50. Haven't you ever split a lunch or dinner tab based on who actually ordered what? If one person orders a $5 toasted cheese sandwich and the other orders a $50 filet mignon, the ratio for splitting the tab is not automatically 50/50.

Until we have a proper, objective assessment of "who did what", we have no basis to apportion responsibility.

Last edited:
If the Federal Government approves a plan AND the federal government collects $1.5B in taxes in case those plans go awry, then the Federal Government has an ethical and legal responsibility to use those taxes to mitigate damages cause by the federally approved plays going awry.

Just sayin'.

Hey there scarecrow. Mind telling me where anybody said we shouldn't use the $1.5B in taxes already collected?

How much money they get each month is inconsequential at this point. The fact is...the U.S. government approved their drilling plan without adequate safety measures in place. Obama said as much in his speech today. Therefore the U.S. government will end up shouldering some of the blame....and cost.

Whate happened to BP's safety measures? And since when have you ever been FOR government regulation of private corporations?

Oh give me a fucking break...where have I said I wanted no regulation of industry....
I work in the oil industry and see DAILY what purpose various regulations serve.

What happened to BP's safety measures? What kind of jackass question is that? They HAD NONE!!!! The plan they had on paper WAS APPROVED BY MMS!!!!!! But that plan wasn't worth the paper it was typed on!

So, why are you railing against a Federal Government emergency plan if the fucking drilling company doesn't even have one?

So, why are you railing against a Federal Government emergency plan if the fucking drilling company doesn't even have one?

Becauser the Federal Government believed BP's plan was a good one...so how good can theirs be?

Just sayin'.

Hey there scarecrow. Mind telling me where anybody said we shouldn't use the $1.5B in taxes already collected?

Then what are we waiting for Cowardly Lion? Why not spend some of those funds now to contain the oil and protect the coasts and wetlands?

Dude...WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!!????

Just sayin'.

Then what are we waiting for Cowardly Lion? Why not spend some of those funds now to contain the oil and protect the coasts and wetlands?

Do that now? Why? How can the dems stump with "look what the GOP and their oil friends did to our coastline" in October if it is cleaned up by then?

Do that now? Why? How can the dems stump with "look what the GOP and their oil friends did to our coastline" in October if it is cleaned up by then?

Sadly, this is the correct motorcycle.

I never said we shouldn't scarecrow. This thread was never about that, you made it about that to deflect from the OP.

Uh...did you even bother to read this? He clearly said "BP and the Federal government".

Considering that the Feds have collected an 8 cent per barrel tax to cover the costs of oil spill disasters (for a cumulative amount to date of $1.5B) - why shouldn't the Feds spend some of the money collected to cover the costs of oil spills on an actual oil spill?

We have Already Picked Up The Tab - which the Feds are bogarting.

You noticed that too didya? :lol::lol::lol:

Yes. Doggie clearly got all excited about doing his part to spread a new Lefty Meme that he didn't bother to read for comprehension and to think logically about what the words actually mean.

I still say Go For It! Yes, Tax Payers money needs to help bail BP out. It is the right call for the GOP.

I want to see a Poll on how many Americans will agree with that move.

I still say Go For It! Yes, Tax Payers money needs to help bail BP out. It is the right call for the GOP.

I want to see a Poll on how many Americans will agree with that move.

Why bother with polls? If Boehner and the GOP faithful feel so strongly about this, I say they make it part of their 2010 platform!

Pick up BPs Tab?

HELL NO you can't!

No man! I love the GOP position! The old "screw the little guy" mentality is finally coming out. I think it is the right call and will certainly make the GOP totally irrelevant. I hope they keep beating the drums for their oil buddies. To think, they want a company that is owned on another continent to be bailed out by US Tax Payers. I think it is a great move and they should make it part of their national platform.:clap2:

Forum List

Back