Jesus

It is the message. Thats why they call it the good news and not the good news brought to you by a super sexy hot white guy. I dont recall any mention of his looks. Just that he was here and what he did and said.

This (verse 14) is the only description of him that I know of in the scriptures:

Isaiah 52:13-15
The Suffering and Glory of the Servant

13 See, my servant will act wisely;
he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted.
14 Just as there were many who were appalled at him[c]—
his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any human being
and his form marred beyond human likeness—
15 so he will sprinkle many nations,[d]
and kings will shut their mouths because of him.
For what they were not told, they will see,
and what they have not heard, they will understand.

He is not described as "good looking" that is for sure.

Immie

I don't think this passage is necessarily talking about standard looks. This is Isaiah...it's prophetic. I think it is referring to the fact that Christ will not look as they expect him to look.

But it's Isaiah, and as such, prophesy. At any rate, it's not a description of Christ by those who saw him. Since he was never referred to as homely in the Gospel, I really doubt it's referring to just his face.

I read the passage as indicating his humanity; he will appear human, with all of humanity on his face, and this will make him unrecognizable to many as it isn't what they expect.

Or it might not even be referring to the first coming, but the second. Christ by all accounts will be terrible in the second coming.

My point being that as far as I can remember there are no other descriptions of Christ in the Word.

I disagree with your statements about this not referring to his first coming because of the context of the Book of Isaiah especially this section of the book, but I could be wrong.

Immie

On a more serous note....those who are christians...dont you have an image in your head when youre talking to God or praying to Jesus? Or is it just me?

No image. That would be idle worshiping.

I'm an alcoholic who hasn't had a drink for nearly 23 years. When I got sober, one of the steps in recovery was to turn your life and will over to a power greater than yourself, as you understand him.
Praying had always been a chore for me. I had had the vision of God from Sunday school. You know; the bearded, stern looking guy up in the clouds. He kind of frightened me. I was so concerned with getting the "thee's, thou's and wilt's correct, the message got lost.
If the step said, "as you understand him" I decided that God should be someone I could feel comfortable with and talk to, maybe like a grandfather. This is what God looks like to me.

greatest-movie-gods-20100408083804581.jpg

The only description of JC refers to the 2nd coming in Rev. (I think)

Aside from that, apply some common sense.

Jews are caucasions, that will tan in the sun so JC had a tan
He dad was a carpenter, so JC worked as one. JC had to be strong working that life, and very dark from being outside.
His hair was probably short for pratical reasons
Eyes were probably brown b/c most Jews have brown eyes.
He was more than likely under 6', since most people were

Aside from common sense, I've seen him and Mary depicted as every color and race under the sun. Yes, I have seen chinese Jesus being help by chinese Mary.

Why?

It looks like them, thus being more acceptable, allowing people to wander past his looks and get to the message.

I had no idea that his appearance was a matter of significance. I thought it was his message?

It is the message. Thats why they call it the good news and not the good news brought to you by a super sexy hot white guy. I dont recall any mention of his looks. Just that he was here and what he did and said.

This (verse 14) is the only description of him that I know of in the scriptures:

Isaiah 52:13-15
The Suffering and Glory of the Servant

13 See, my servant will act wisely;
he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted.
14 Just as there were many who were appalled at him[c]—
his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any human being
and his form marred beyond human likeness—
15 so he will sprinkle many nations,[d]
and kings will shut their mouths because of him.
For what they were not told, they will see,
and what they have not heard, they will understand.

He is not described as "good looking" that is for sure.

Immie

Amen, Immie.

How about these ones, (in prophecy) is there any hint of an outward appearance? It does say, "there is no beauty that we should desire Him." ?

Or are they more talking about the "sin nature" of man rejecting God, do you think? And/or both?

Isaiah 53
2 For He shall grow up before Him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: He hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see Him, there is no beauty that we should desire Him.
3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from Him; He was despised, and we esteemed Him not.
4 Surely He hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem Him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

Last edited:

He dad was a carpenter, so JC worked as one. JC had to be strong working that life, and very dark from being outside.

Aside from common sense, I've seen him and Mary depicted as every color and race under the sun. Yes, I have seen chinese Jesus being help by chinese Mary.

Why?

It looks like them, thus being more acceptable, allowing people to wander past his looks and get to the message.

TT,

Can you give some kind of an idea if not a reference to the verse(s) that you are talking about in Revelation? You may be right that it does give some kind of a description of him there, but I am not positive to what you refer.

Come to think of it, John does describe him, I think, as having a face surrounded by brilliant light and eyes of fire (I'd have to check this to be sure) but I have never considered that as a description of his earthly form.

Immie

You know what? Isaiah 53 is so awesome, (Thank our Lord Jesus Christ so much) I've just gotta post the whole thing.

Isaiah 53
1Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?

2For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

11He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Why?

TT,

Can you give some kind of an idea if not a reference to the verse(s) that you are talking about in Revelation? You may be right that it does give some kind of a description of him there, but I am not positive to what you refer.

Come to think of it, John does describe him, I think, as having a face surrounded by brilliant light and eyes of fire (I'd have to check this to be sure) but I have never considered that as a description of his earthly form.

Immie

This is what I get for digging around;

The only physical description of Jesus that does exist is from a copy of a letter from the Roman consul Lentulus to the Roman Emperor Tiberius. This document was discovered in a Monastery with copies of other ancient documents. According to the copy of the letter, the original was dated to the 12 year of the reign of Tiberius. We have historical verification that a certain Roman consul named Lentulus was in Judea at the time of Jesus' trial and crucifixion. His influential family is mentioned by the Jewish historian Josephus in his book Antiquities of the Jews. Scholars are divided, however, as to the authenticity of the letter. Lentulus' letter was an official report to the Emperor Tiberius. In his letter Lentulus describes Jesus as having: "a noble and lively face, with fair and slightly wavy hair; black and strongly curving eyebrows, intense penetrating blue eyes and an expression of wondrous grace. His nose is rather long. His beard is almost blonde, although not very long. His hair is quite long, and has never seen a pair of scissors.....His neck is slightly inclined, so that he never appears to be bitter or arrogant. His tanned face is the color of ripe corn ***and well proportioned. It gives the impression of gravity and wisdom, sweetness and good, and is completely lacking in any sign of anger." (Holy Land Magazine, Franciscan Holy Land Press, Spring 1998).

DESCRIPTION OF JESUS

*** JC wasn't yellow, the corn in Israel looks different.

Revelation 1:14-17

14 His head and His hair were white like white wool, like snow ; and His eyes were like a flame of fire. 15 His feet were like burnished bronze, when it has been made to glow in a furnace, and His voice was like the sound of many waters. 16 In His right hand He held seven stars, and out of His mouth came a sharp two-edged sword ; and His face was like the sun shining in its strength. 17 When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me, saying, "Do not be afraid ; I am the first and the last,

Im gonna go out on a limb and guess that's not a physical body.

Bronze looks like dark gold when cooled. In the furnace it's an orange color.

My description went on common sense guess work. I don't care if he was a talking pink assed purple baboon. No one before or since has had that much effect on the world.

Why?

TT,

Immie

The only physical description of Jesus that does exist is from a copy of a letter from the Roman consul Lentulus to the Roman Emperor Tiberius. This document was discovered in a Monastery with copies of other ancient documents. According to the copy of the letter, the original was dated to the 12 year of the reign of Tiberius. We have historical verification that a certain Roman consul named Lentulus was in Judea at the time of Jesus' trial and crucifixion. His influential family is mentioned by the Jewish historian Josephus in his book Antiquities of the Jews. Scholars are divided, however, as to the authenticity of the letter. Lentulus' letter was an official report to the Emperor Tiberius. In his letter Lentulus describes Jesus as having: "a noble and lively face, with fair and slightly wavy hair; black and strongly curving eyebrows, intense penetrating blue eyes and an expression of wondrous grace. His nose is rather long. His beard is almost blonde, although not very long. His hair is quite long, and has never seen a pair of scissors.....His neck is slightly inclined, so that he never appears to be bitter or arrogant. His tanned face is the color of ripe corn ***and well proportioned. It gives the impression of gravity and wisdom, sweetness and good, and is completely lacking in any sign of anger." (Holy Land Magazine, Franciscan Holy Land Press, Spring 1998).

DESCRIPTION OF JESUS

14 His head and His hair were white like white wool, like snow ; and His eyes were like a flame of fire. 15 His feet were like burnished bronze, when it has been made to glow in a furnace, and His voice was like the sound of many waters. 16 In His right hand He held seven stars, and out of His mouth came a sharp two-edged sword ; and His face was like the sun shining in its strength. 17 When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me, saying, "Do not be afraid ; I am the first and the last,

My description went on common sense guess work. I don't care if he was a talking pink assed purple baboon. No one before or since has had that much effect on the world.

Excellent post and thank you for the information regarding Lentulus. Interesting.

Immie

TT,

Immie

DESCRIPTION OF JESUS

Excellent post and thank you for the information regarding Lentulus. Interesting.

Immie

Kinda love the irony though.

the op was annoyed as JC being depicted as a blond, blue eyed man.

Turns out he had blue eyes and, it would seem, his hair faded in the sun.

but I can see why some scholars are sceptical. this description sounds like it comes from a loving fan, instead of someone about to put nails into him.
Or maybe he admired the humble courage of a man to stand against Rome sans sword and shield.

DESCRIPTION OF JESUS

Immie

but I can see why some scholars are sceptical. this description sounds like it comes from a loving fan, instead of someone about to put nails into him.
Or maybe he admired the humble courage of a man to stand against Rome sans sword and shield.

I've never had the impression that the entire population of Jerusalem was 100% behind the crucifixion. Rather those that were opposed were afraid of those who wanted his death and why not? In those times, the Sanhedrin were powerful enemies, just look at what they accomplished with Jesus for proof of that.

Of course, if you believe the Gospels, the truth is that Jesus brought this on himself. :eusa_shhh:

Immie

Last edited:

Why?

I've never understood people who think that artistic depictions of Christ mean that everybody thinks (including the artist) that the depiction is an actual representation of what he REALLY looked like.

It's ART. It's all about perception, and individual preferences and what the artist wants to portray. I mean, everybody understands that artists use models, right? And that we all understand that the models are not the actual Christ.

So I'm always irritated by the supposition by those who don't believe that because Jesus is depicted in myriad ways it means that we're so stupid as to think those depictions are accurate. NOBODY is that stupid. Except maybe the people who insist that because artists depict Christ a certain way it means that the whole world thinks that's the way he REALLY looked.

Immie

I've never had the impression that the entire population of Jerusalem was 100% behind the crucifixion. Rather those that were opposed we afraid of those who wanted his death and why not? In those times, the Sanhedrin were powerful enemies, just look at what they accomplished with Jesus for proof of that.

Of course, if you believe the Gospels, the truth is that Jesus brought this on himself. :eusa_shhh:

Immie

HAHA

I'd bet he was down for the destiny, will of god stuff, right up to the point the nail hit bone.

The bible doesn't mention him calling the people nailing him rotten muther phuckers, but I'd be willing to bet he wasn't all that calm and cool either. :eusa_angel:

I've never had the impression that the entire population of Jerusalem was 100% behind the crucifixion. Rather those that were opposed we afraid of those who wanted his death and why not? In those times, the Sanhedrin were powerful enemies, just look at what they accomplished with Jesus for proof of that.

Immie

HAHA

I'd bet he was down for the destiny, will of god stuff, right up to the point the nail hit bone.

The bible doesn't mention him calling the people nailing him rotten muther phuckers, but I'd be willing to bet he wasn't all that calm and cool either. :eusa_angel:

Luke 23:33-35 (New International Version, ©2011)

33 When they came to the place called the Skull, they crucified him there, along with the criminals—one on his right, the other on his left. 34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”[a] And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

35 The people stood watching, and the rulers even sneered at him. They said, “He saved others; let him save himself if he is God’s Messiah, the Chosen One.”

Sounds pretty calm and cool if you ask me.

Now me on the other hand, I'd be calling them every name in the book and then some! :lol: There would definitely not be any of this :eusa_angel: in my demeanor.

Immie

Why?

TT,

Immie

DESCRIPTION OF JESUS

Great post...

except I believe it is a physical body....just not a mortal one. The body of Christ. It's not made of smoke.

He was not caucasian. He did not have blonde hair and blue eyes. His nose was probably not grecian in appearance. His skin was not white.

JW's came to my door..which I dont mind. I was in the middle of cleaning my ride since I used it sweeping the front stoop and taking a break from the stirring the brew kettle...bat wings were not quite ready yet to simmer, so I had time to politely take their pamphlet and tell them Im sorry but I am not interested in their flyers. They thanked me kindly and left. I then read the pamphlet while I waited for the lizard legs to be pre nuked to be dumped in the kettle with the bat wings....and the first thing I noticed was the picture of jesus they had on that pamphlet. I still read the words, but the pic bugged me. Hence....this topic.

That is all. Just a pet peeve of mine seeing Him portrayed like some Sears male model in immaculate white robes in all His stunning caucasian glory.

Jesus means "Justice" and "Salvation"
This takes many forms, from spiritual to political, personal or collective.

However you relate to "love of Truth and Justice" is what matters to you, regarding "God and Jesus" which represent universal concepts affecting people of all nations, cultures, and tribes. The spirit of Truth and Justice for all can be represented or manifested in any number of ways and still point to the same coming of Jesus or Justice for all humanity.

He was not caucasian. He did not have blonde hair and blue eyes. His nose was probably not grecian in appearance. His skin was not white.

JW's came to my door..which I dont mind. I was in the middle of cleaning my ride since I used it sweeping the front stoop and taking a break from the stirring the brew kettle...bat wings were not quite ready yet to simmer, so I had time to politely take their pamphlet and tell them Im sorry but I am not interested in their flyers. They thanked me kindly and left. I then read the pamphlet while I waited for the lizard legs to be pre nuked to be dumped in the kettle with the bat wings....and the first thing I noticed was the picture of jesus they had on that pamphlet. I still read the words, but the pic bugged me. Hence....this topic.

That is all. Just a pet peeve of mine seeing Him portrayed like some Sears male model in immaculate white robes in all His stunning caucasian glory.

He didn't come back from the dead either. There is no limit to the delusion of Christians.

Forum List

Back