Zone1 Jesus Christ Superstar

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I'm putting this in the debate zone since it's controversial but I am a Christian that LOVES this musical!!! I mean it might not be scripture based but I don't find anything blasphemous about it since they never said that Jesus wasn't the Son of God in it, it was just looking at Jesus in a human perspective instead of the miraculous perspective. So I was just wondering why this musical gets such a bad reputation as I think of it as when Christian contemporary music really took off. Anyways, this came up because I usually watch it this time of year. :D

I saw this as a kid, not when it came out as I wasn't born until a few years later, but the controversy stems from the irreverance of it.

It makes too light our Savior.

I'm putting this in the debate zone since it's controversial but I am a Christian that LOVES this musical!!! I mean it might not be scripture based but I don't find anything blasphemous about it since they never said that Jesus wasn't the Son of God in it, it was just looking at Jesus in a human perspective instead of the miraculous perspective. So I was just wondering why this musical gets such a bad reputation as I think of it as when Christian contemporary music really took off. Anyways, this came up because I usually watch it this time of year. :D

mary magdalene's song was the big hit of the musical. hell "i don't know gow to love you was that decade's "titanic."

my favorite was herod's number at the swimming pool ....

does anyone know if that was herod antipas or herod the great from scripture or do i need to hit wikipedia for a succession of the hasmodeans?

we know that caesar augustus and his buddy herod the great were involved in the events of the nativity. and that tiberius was the emperor while pilate was procurator. .

Synchronicity?
They showed the film (1977), Jesus of Nazareth , earlier starring Robert Powell and a truly amazing support cast .

But as with your Musical years ago, I could only give it around 40 minutes but then had to walk away despite the film's technical brilliance -- directed by Zeffirelli .

Try as I may, I cannot take the story line seriously .

• Banned
pertty much the essence of christianity is the mystery of christ's dual nature.

Yep, I bet He wiped the floor with Judas on the banjo. 😁

Oh wait, you said dual not duel my bad.

Why did you think it has a bad reputation?

mary magdalene's song was the big hit of the musical. hell "i don't know gow to love you was that decade's "titanic."

my favorite was herod's number at the swimming pool ....

does anyone know if that was herod antipas or herod the great from scripture or do i need to hit wikipedia for a succession of the hasmodeans?

we know that caesar augustus and his buddy herod the great were involved in the events of the nativity.
and that tiberius was the emperor while pilate was procurator. .

Herod Antipas.

Essentially the controversy stems around Judas. The musical presents Judas as a necessary victim...caught in the role God designed for him. Without Judas there could be no Jesus Sacrifice..no resurrection.....no salvation.
At the time the musical was released..the flower power/hippy thing was going full bore....many were put off by the idea that the disciples and those around Christ were the hippys of their time. Some had issues with his close relationship with Mary Magdalene.
...and, it was rock and roll.

BTW..have you seen both versions?

The recent one with John Legend is very good~

Essentially the controversy stems around Judas. The musical presents Judas as a necessary victim...caught in the role God designed for him. Without Judas there could be no Jesus Sacrifice..no resurrection.....no salvation.

Other than the Judas seen as a victim part that's basically true.

Forum List

Back