Jeb's leadership qualities

sitarro

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2003
USA
This article demonstrates the leadership qualities that Jeb Bush possesses over so many others. He is aware of what has come before him and does what he can to improve on the best ideas. This shows that he understands that help for people he is responsible for is more important than the ego trip Louisiana and Mississippi officials partake in. He is not too proud to seek out the best opinions and adapt them to problem solving. He seems a lot like his brother in that way.I could consider his nomination for 2008.

The full article can be found at this link, i copied a small portion to save space on the board.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/storm/content/state/epaper/2005/09/10/m1a_response_0910.html#

Lack of plan hurt Katrina-hit states' response

By Dara Kam, Alan Gomez
Palm Beach Post Staff Writers

UPDATED: 3:50 p.m. September 10, 2005
TALLAHASSEE — One thing Florida knows is hurricanes.

Florida emergency planners criticized and even rebuked their counterparts -- or what passes for emergency planners -- in those states for their handling of Hurricane Katrina. Gov. Jeb Bush, the head of Florida AHCA and the head of Florida wildlife (which is responsible for all search and rescue) all said they made offers of aid to Mississippi and Louisiana the day before Katrina hit but were rebuffed. After the storm, they said they've had to not only help provide people to those states but also have had to develop search and rescue plans for them. "They were completely unprepared -- as bad off as we were before Andrew," one Florida official said.

And how Louisiana and Mississippi officials have handled Hurricane Katrina is a far cry from what emergency managers here would have done. Mississippi was in the middle of rewriting its disaster plan when Katrina struck. Officials there were still analyzing what went wrong during Hurricane Dennis earlier this year when Katrina overtook them. Search teams from Florida were rescuing Mississippi victims before law enforcement officers there were even aware of the magnitude of the disaster.

Louisiana also lacked an adequate plan to evacuate New Orleans, despite years of research that predicted a disaster equal to or worse than Katrina. Even after a disaster test run last year exposed weaknesses in evacuation and recovery, officials failed to come up with solutions.

"They're where we were in 1992, exactly," said Col. Julie Jones, director of law enforcement for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, in a reference to Florida's state of emergency preparedness before Hurricane Andrew devastated southern Miami-Dade County. Since then, Florida has created what many consider a model emergency management system, initially developed by the late Gov. Lawton Chiles in response to Andrew and beefed up considerably by Gov. Jeb Bush in response to more than a dozen storms that have hit the state since he took office in 1998, including a record four hurricanes last year.

I'm all for Jeb being the Republican candidate for President in 2008, but he has said he is not going to run. I think he is by far the best qualified candidate either party has to offer, and I hope there will be a grassroots effort started to get him to reconsider. This nation needs his moral and political leadership skills, his ability to work with all ethnic groups, his ability to come up with answers and solutions, his ability to zero in on the right priorities.....

Adam's Apple said:
I'm all for Jeb being the Republican candidate for President in 2008, but he has said he is not going to run. I think he is by far the best qualified candidate either party has to offer, and I hope there will be a grassroots effort started to get him to reconsider. This nation needs his moral and political leadership skills, his ability to work with all ethnic groups, his ability to come up with answers and solutions, his ability to zero in on the right priorities.....

I like Jeb a lot. He has been a great governor for Florida (my state of residence) aside from the Rilya Wilson and DCS issues, and I really hope he will consider national leadership. However, I really do not want him to be president in 2008 (maybe 2016, 2020). If he were to run (and he would win, I am sure of it), that would mean since 1988, (the last 20 years), America would have been run by the same two families for 24 years. (This also holds true for a hiliary win). I do not think this is healthy for our republic.

Jeb has said he will not enter the race in 2008, so all this is moot. If he should reverse himself, then we can discuss the "dynasty" fears. I myself have no fear of the so-called "dynasty" and would prefer to have the best man available for the job, whatever his last name happens to be. If you didn't have the "dynasty" talk in mind when you posted, my apologies in advance for drawing an erroneous conclusion.

Forum List

Back