BREAKING: Outgoing Louisiana Gov John Bel Edwards pardons 40 convicted murderers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAGuy1

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2019
Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards pardoned 56 inmates as he left office, with 40 of them being convicted murderers.

Of the murders on the list pardoned, 11 were in the greater New Orleans area.

Several of the inmates convicted involved the murder in the second degree as well first degree. One in the first degree was of Keith Elmon Messiah, who demanded money from Bernice Holman in a Popeye's parking lot during Mardi Gras.

When Holman and her friends complied and gave Messiah the money, he proceeded to shoot her in the face and fled the scene. He was recommended for the death penalty.

Edwards told news outlet NOLA.com this week, "For as long as I can remember, Louisiana reflexively responded to an increase in crime by putting more people in prison and keeping them there longer."

He told NOLA.com, "We’ve never been made safer as a result of that. There is no data to suggest that an increase in crime here was because of the reforms.”

In recent days Edwards has repeatedly claimed, "When I leave office, the state of Louisiana will be better than it was when I took office."

Damn you Lefty's are tough on crime.

Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards pardoned 56 inmates as he left office, with 40 of them being convicted murderers.

Of the murders on the list pardoned, 11 were in the greater New Orleans area.

Several of the inmates convicted involved the murder in the second degree as well first degree. One in the first degree was of Keith Elmon Messiah, who demanded money from Bernice Holman in a Popeye's parking lot during Mardi Gras.

When Holman and her friends complied and gave Messiah the money, he proceeded to shoot her in the face and fled the scene. He was recommended for the death penalty.

Edwards told news outlet NOLA.com this week, "For as long as I can remember, Louisiana reflexively responded to an increase in crime by putting more people in prison and keeping them there longer."

He told NOLA.com, "We’ve never been made safer as a result of that. There is no data to suggest that an increase in crime here was because of the reforms.”

In recent days Edwards has repeatedly claimed, "When I leave office, the state of Louisiana will be better than it was when I took office."

Damn you Lefty's are tough on crime.

Full list of those pardoned and their crimes...

Backgrounds of the cases for six of the freed murderers....

Why would he do this?

There are already threads on this. One is listed below, under “similar threads”. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back