Japan's mini space elevator goes to space

I would still like to know how they will get the 250 mile "rope" up into space or down..
Found a link.
Too much to post.
Space elevator construction - Wikipedia

Skimming thru the link , could you imagine someone having to climb that thing?

No thanks ... This is even way to high for me.

I work in construction and have to deal with heights. Rode some of the largest rides at a few amusement parks and even did the radio tower ride at the top of Stratosphere tower in Vegas.

No way in hell I would do that job.
The part where they leave the inside structure and free climb that last stretch looks freaky as hell. I can't imagine what any sway must feel like on that tower.
Cool vid.

You ever do the one at Cedar Point? I used to live in southern Ohio and go to Kings Island almost every weekend. We could get a season pass for like $60.

Went to Cedar Point twice right after they put up the Top Thrill Dragster. Specifically went there to try that ride.
Holy crap, that ride was intense.
We had season passes for Valleyfair in MN at the time and was same ownership as Cedar Point. The Power Tower in Ohio is 30 ft taller than ours.
That park was a coaster riders dream park.

The power tower ride in Vegas was the most freaky since you start at about 960ft.

Kings Island posted this week they are going to retire one of their coaster, probably The Vortex, and people think they are building a new one.

I would say more like 200 years.
The tether experiments are just the baby steps. Many believe this is feasible however. A lot to figure out on the stress the structure would be put through and the yet undeveloped concept of shielding from orbital debris.

Arthur C. Clark featured it in the third book of the Space Odyssey series. His belief was it would be an equatorial site. Many are drawing concepts that could be placed at other points on the planet, but trickier to maintain a stable orbit. This could also be done on other planets.

When payload costs are reduced, human exploration will enter a new phase throughout the solar system.

I would still like to know how they will get the 250 mile "rope" up into space or down..
Found a link.
Too much to post.

I work in construction and have to deal with heights. Rode some of the largest rides at a few amusement parks and even did the radio tower ride at the top of Stratosphere tower in Vegas.

The part where they leave the inside structure and free climb that last stretch looks freaky as hell. I can't imagine what any sway must feel like on that tower.
Cool vid.

The job of laying tether cables between a space station and the earth would be done with robots. No one is going to climb a 36,000 kilometer rope.

Pretty much assumed that. Just thought the video was cool.
Even they rode an elevator to 1600ft. No one even wants to climb a 1700ft tower.

Found a link.
Too much to post.

Cool vid.

The job of laying tether cables between a space station and the earth would be done with robots. No one is going to climb a 36,000 kilometer rope.

Pretty much assumed that. Just thought the video was cool.
Even they rode an elevator to 1600ft. No one even wants to climb a 1700ft tower.

We regularly travel at 50,000 ft and our only concern is when they run out of peanuts.

Forum List

Back