Japan's mini space elevator goes to space

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Looks like they really want to do this, When I read about this 10 or so years ago in popular science I thought it was a joke, seriously taking an elevator into space?

Japan's mini space elevator goes to space - CNET

A concept of the space elevator is set to get a workout, following the weekend launch of a pair of satellitesbound for the International Space Station, Science News reported Monday.

The experiment, under the auspices of researchers at Shizuoka University in Japan, will be the first movement trial conducted in space as part of the Space Tethered Autonomous Robotic Satellite (STARS) project. The two small STARS-ME satellites will be connected by a 10-meter cable, and a robotic device will travel along it between the satellites. That's a tiny representation of what a full-size space elevator might someday do running from Earth all the way to spacecraft in orbit.

Overcoming the weight problem is what is stalling the 'elevator'. A couple of hundred miles of rope is a very heavy thing. So it's got to be strong enough to support its own weight, plus whatever else you want to hoist.
But there's plenty of minds way better than yours or mine,working on the ploblem.

Overcoming the weight problem is what is stalling the 'elevator'. A couple of hundred miles of rope is a very heavy thing. So it's got to be strong enough to support its own weight, plus whatever else you want to hoist.
But there's plenty of minds way better than yours or mine,working on the ploblem.

A space elevator would have to be tethered to a geosynchronous satellite.

So it's not 200 miles of rope. It's 23,000 miles of carbon nanofiber cable.

Looks like they really want to do this, When I read about this 10 or so years ago in popular science I thought it was a joke, seriously taking an elevator into space?

A concept of the space elevator is set to get a workout, following the weekend launch of a pair of satellitesbound for the International Space Station, Science News reported Monday.

The experiment, under the auspices of researchers at Shizuoka University in Japan, will be the first movement trial conducted in space as part of the Space Tethered Autonomous Robotic Satellite (STARS) project. The two small STARS-ME satellites will be connected by a 10-meter cable, and a robotic device will travel along it between the satellites. That's a tiny representation of what a full-size space elevator might someday do running from Earth all the way to spacecraft in orbit.

There are so many issues that'd need to be solved before this ever became even a slight reality.

There are so many issues that'd need to be solved before this ever became even a slight reality.

However, if humans are ever going to get into space, they need to be solved.

Space Elevator is the only technology in the works that stands of chance of getting humans off the planet. 1940's rocket technology will never be affordable.

Space Elevator is the only technology in the works that stands of chance of getting humans off the planet. 1940's rocket technology will never be affordable.
Actually brought this up on a thread last week.
NASA has done some experiments with tethers and a small scale version is being tested at the space station.
images (97).jpeg
images (98).jpeg
Would be an impressive engineering accomplishment.

Actually brought this up on a thread last week.
NASA has done some experiments with tethers and a small scale version is being tested at the space station.
View attachment 218588
View attachment 218589
Would be an impressive engineering accomplishment.

Yes, well, I doubt we'll see it in the next 20 years.

Polish - Russian Konstantin Ciolkowski came up with the concept of the Space-Elevator in 1895.

Must... resist... polish... joke....
Having Polish roots, I say go for it.
He doesn't represent Poles very well.

But, Bear, Lysistrata, and yourself do who put Jews before Poles?

What's wrong with mentioning that Konstantin Ciolkowski of a Polish heritage invented the concept of a Space Elevator in 1895?

I wonder if the japos realized this? Anything closer and it MOVES!

I wonder if the japos realized this? Anything closer and it MOVES!

Japanese have a long history with space exploration...

f1b59da3b92e7fbb0b88fff1e5a65cf9.jpg

I don't see this working. Some idiot pilot would fly into it or some space junk or satellite would hit it. We already have so much stuff in orbit it is insane.

screen_shot_2015-07-08_at_4.56.55_pm.png

I don't see this working. Some idiot pilot would fly into it or some space junk or satellite would hit it. We already have so much stuff in orbit it is insane.

That diagram, while very pretty, is highly misleading as to just how crowded Earth orbit is. Those dots show location, not size. Many of those dots represent pieces of debris only a few millimeters in size. Spread across an areas several times that of the surface of the Earth.

That diagram, while very pretty, is highly misleading as to just how crowded Earth orbit is. Those dots show location, not size. Many of those dots represent pieces of debris only a few millimeters in size. Spread across an areas several times that of the surface of the Earth.

Those dots move, and therefor have a path that is a lot larger than their actual size.

Forum List

Back