Japan's mini space elevator goes to space

They will have help building it.
Japan is kicking our ass in space right now. They've got two rovers hopping around on an asteroid!

Stunning asteroid photos captured by tiny rovers on space rock's surface

Animated bullshit.

Oh my Fox News link shows it to be a conspiracy theory? You're Dopey

latest

Polish - Russian Konstantin Ciolkowski came up with the concept of the Space-Elevator in 1895.

Must... resist... polish... joke....

Indulge yourself.
It's the same problem as with their submarines. They put screen doors on their rocket

This concept is Polish - Russian (Slavic) in origins thanks to Ciolkowski, although Japan might be creating a prototype first, consider Poland doesn't have as much GDP, or people to create such a task.

Poland pioneered multistage- delta-wing rockets with Kazimierz Siemienowicz in the 1600's.

Even today, Poles have some good space tech, including ILR-33 Amber the World's first ecological rocket out of Poland.

Tell that to Polish Stefan Drzewiecki who developed the first submarine fleet in the World for the Tsar of Russia.

Heck, the first military comissioned U.S.A submarine came later, and was propped up by Polish Zelienski, heck this first U.S.A submarine prototype was called the Zelienski boat.

Overcoming the weight problem is what is stalling the 'elevator'. A couple of hundred miles of rope is a very heavy thing. So it's got to be strong enough to support its own weight, plus whatever else you want to hoist.
But there's plenty of minds way better than yours or mine,working on the ploblem.

I want to know who is going to catch the " rope" from space?

Overcoming the weight problem is what is stalling the 'elevator'. A couple of hundred miles of rope is a very heavy thing. So it's got to be strong enough to support its own weight, plus whatever else you want to hoist.
But there's plenty of minds way better than yours or mine,working on the ploblem.

A space elevator would have to be tethered to a geosynchronous satellite.

So it's not 200 miles of rope. It's 23,000 miles of carbon nanofiber cable.
It is 250 miles to reach zeroe gravity from earth. Carbon nanotubules are to be used and we now have solids lighter than air which could be used as boyancy support up the elevator. I doubt it happnes in japan. If they have any brains they will build this in a very unpopulated area.

Looks like they really want to do this, When I read about this 10 or so years ago in popular science I thought it was a joke, seriously taking an elevator into space?

Japan's mini space elevator goes to space - CNET

A concept of the space elevator is set to get a workout, following the weekend launch of a pair of satellitesbound for the International Space Station, Science News reported Monday.

The experiment, under the auspices of researchers at Shizuoka University in Japan, will be the first movement trial conducted in space as part of the Space Tethered Autonomous Robotic Satellite (STARS) project. The two small STARS-ME satellites will be connected by a 10-meter cable, and a robotic device will travel along it between the satellites. That's a tiny representation of what a full-size space elevator might someday do running from Earth all the way to spacecraft in orbit.

There are so many issues that'd need to be solved before this ever became even a slight reality.

However, if humans are ever going to get into space, they need to be solved.

Space Elevator is the only technology in the works that stands of chance of getting humans off the planet. 1940's rocket technology will never be affordable.
Actually brought this up on a thread last week.
NASA has done some experiments with tethers and a small scale version is being tested at the space station.
View attachment 218588
View attachment 218589
Would be an impressive engineering accomplishment.

Yes, well, I doubt we'll see it in the next 20 years.
I would say more like 200 years.
The tether experiments are just the baby steps. Many believe this is feasible however. A lot to figure out on the stress the structure would be put through and the yet undeveloped concept of shielding from orbital debris.

Arthur C. Clark featured it in the third book of the Space Odyssey series. His belief was it would be an equatorial site. Many are drawing concepts that could be placed at other points on the planet, but trickier to maintain a stable orbit. This could also be done on other planets.

When payload costs are reduced, human exploration will enter a new phase throughout the solar system.

Looks like they really want to do this, When I read about this 10 or so years ago in popular science I thought it was a joke, seriously taking an elevator into space?

Japan's mini space elevator goes to space - CNET

A concept of the space elevator is set to get a workout, following the weekend launch of a pair of satellitesbound for the International Space Station, Science News reported Monday.

The experiment, under the auspices of researchers at Shizuoka University in Japan, will be the first movement trial conducted in space as part of the Space Tethered Autonomous Robotic Satellite (STARS) project. The two small STARS-ME satellites will be connected by a 10-meter cable, and a robotic device will travel along it between the satellites. That's a tiny representation of what a full-size space elevator might someday do running from Earth all the way to spacecraft in orbit.

There are so many issues that'd need to be solved before this ever became even a slight reality.

Space Elevator is the only technology in the works that stands of chance of getting humans off the planet. 1940's rocket technology will never be affordable.
NASA has done some experiments with tethers and a small scale version is being tested at the space station.
View attachment 218588
View attachment 218589

The tether experiments are just the baby steps. Many believe this is feasible however. A lot to figure out on the stress the structure would be put through and the yet undeveloped concept of shielding from orbital debris.

Arthur C. Clark featured it in the third book of the Space Odyssey series. His belief was it would be an equatorial site. Many are drawing concepts that could be placed at other points on the planet, but trickier to maintain a stable orbit. This could also be done on other planets.

When payload costs are reduced, human exploration will enter a new phase throughout the solar system.

I would still like to know how they will get the 250 mile "rope" up into space or down..

View attachment 218588
View attachment 218589

I would still like to know how they will get the 250 mile "rope" up into space or down..
Found a link.
Too much to post.
Space elevator construction - Wikipedia

They used a balloon to get the Red Bull guy up into space to do his skydive, couldn't they just send the ropes up that way?

The Red Bull jump was done from 128,000 feet, where military aircraft can operate. Space starts tat 250,000 feet. Low Earth Orbit is where non-geosynchronous satellites operate up to 6.5 million feet and a space elevator would be built in the realm of geosynchronous satellites, 127 million feet. Balloons are quite gonna cut it.

The lowest cost for using rockets to lift a single KG to GTO (Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit) is $5,000.

This ... costs $5,000 to bring to that altitude.

fiji_water.jpg

View attachment 218588
View attachment 218589

Found a link.
Too much to post.

Skimming thru the link , could you imagine someone having to climb that thing?

No thanks ... This is even way to high for me.

It is 250 miles to reach zeroe gravity from earth.

In fact, weightlessness, or 'free-all' isn't a function of altitude. It occurs when the velocity vector matches the gravitational vector of the Earth.

This can occur in a diving aircraft at very low altitudes. There is only weightlessness in a spacecraft when it's considered to be stationary in respect to it's position in space... i.e. in orbit. Any spacecraft experiencing acceleration (Delta-V) would subject it's occupants to gravity. For example, a spacecraft accelerating in space at 322,272 m/s, with it's engines running all that time would experience earth normal gravity in the direction of travel. Turn off the engines and the occupants become weightless again.

To move any spacecraft from one orbital vector to another ... say from LEO to GTO, still requires force to change the velocity and would experience gravity depending on how much force is being used.

View attachment 218588
View attachment 218589

Found a link.
Too much to post.

I work in construction and have to deal with heights. Rode some of the largest rides at a few amusement parks and even did the radio tower ride at the top of Stratosphere tower in Vegas.

No way in hell I would do that job.
The part where they leave the inside structure and free climb that last stretch looks freaky as hell. I can't imagine what any sway must feel like on that tower.
Cool vid.

Found a link.
Too much to post.

I work in construction and have to deal with heights. Rode some of the largest rides at a few amusement parks and even did the radio tower ride at the top of Stratosphere tower in Vegas.

The part where they leave the inside structure and free climb that last stretch looks freaky as hell. I can't imagine what any sway must feel like on that tower.
Cool vid.

You ever do the one at Cedar Point? I used to live in southern Ohio and go to Kings Island almost every weekend. We could get a season pass for like $60.

Found a link.
Too much to post.

Cool vid.

The job of laying tether cables between a space station and the earth would be done with robots. No one is going to climb a 36,000 kilometer rope.

Found a link.
Too much to post.

Cool vid.

You ever do the one at Cedar Point? I used to live in southern Ohio and go to Kings Island almost every weekend. We could get a season pass for like $60.

Went to Cedar Point twice right after they put up the Top Thrill Dragster. Specifically went there to try that ride.
Holy crap, that ride was intense.
We had season passes for Valleyfair in MN at the time and was same ownership as Cedar Point. The Power Tower in Ohio is 30 ft taller than ours.
That park was a coaster riders dream park.

The power tower ride in Vegas was the most freaky since you start at about 960ft.

Forum List

Back