Japanese company produces water powered car

Seems to me that there's no reason such a vehicle couldn't work in principle.

The moving vehicle generates electicity which breaks down the water, then the hydrogen it breaks out of the water molecule makes it go vroom! (only it'll probably sound more like eeeeeeeeee!)

There is an economy after hydrocarbons, if we can just get the oiliocracy out of power.

Now I'm no scientiest, but considering that water vapor is a green-house gas, wouldn't water-powered cars be just as bad? Water-vapor absorbs more heat than CO2. And honestly, people are already fighting over water to drink. I personally, don't care to start fighting over water to fuel my car. I'm not sure of the logistics of this water-powered car, but I would put some serious consideration on it before jumping in... just my feeling.

If there is something to this, can you imagine? These guy better keep their technology close to the vest otherwise Exxon or Shell will show up at their door. They have gotten used to their blotted profits and certainly don't want to see anything that might stop the flow of money.

The environmental affects of water as fuel could be more profound that the food shortage we are seeing now.

Cathode + anode + water, -> hydrogen + oxygen

In other news, someone found a car that runs on no fuel whatsoever: it just needs a very large slope to run down.

Last edited:
There is an economy after hydrocarbons, if we can just get the oiliocracy out of power.

Getting the "oilicrats" to let go of their trillions will be the challenge. They are probably plotting a take over of this Japanese company right now.

Guess who has more fresh water than any other country in the world?

Thought just occured to me.

In order to run on H2O it has to be distilled water.

Also there's the question of what the effect of huge amounts of O2 would be on the atmosphere, too.

Because 02 would be the by product of breaking down those molecules would it not?

200,000,000 vehicles spewing flammable o2 into the atmosphere?

Sounds like that's a problem waiting to manifest to me.

The solution is STILL solar, folks.

The problem is too many people are demanding too many things that require energy. If we had and endless supply of clean energy, we would already be facing our next shortage crisis.

Thought just occured to me.

In order to run on H2O it has to be distilled water.

No it doesn't. Why would it? I could piss in a electrolytic cell's aqueous solution and it would not harm anything.

Also there's the question of what the effect of huge amounts of O2 would be on the atmosphere, too.

They can use the oxygen to combust the hydrogen. Its a molarity partiy is perfect for combustion, too. H20----electrolysis---> H2+O ---combustion----> H20 + energy

The solution is STILL solar, folks.

No. Solar sucks for the time being. Maybe in a couple decades.

No it doesn't. Why would it? I could piss in a electrolytic cell's aqueous solution and it would not harm anything.

Really? either I have been misinformed or you have.

They can use the oxygen to combust the hydrogen. Its a molarity partiy is perfect for combustion, too. H20----electrolysis---> H2+O ---combustion----> H20 + energy

They don't combust the H20, all that would do is make steam. They use elctrolysis. see: H2O - The Mystery, Art, and Science of Water: The Chemistry of Water: Electrolysis

No. Solar sucks for the time being. Maybe in a couple decades.

Better start working on it NOW then, eh?

Read recently that with TODAY's TECHNOLOGY we could build sixteen solar gerationing plants in someplace like Nevada for the same cost as ONE nuclear power plant. they're combine output would be far greater than that one nuke plant but I can't remember how much greater.

So I think the financial problems of generating electicity with solar cells is already not the problem.

I think the problem is really getting the poltical will to finance such projects.

It will be far from it when it happens, but we need an unregulated and uncapitalized energy source to solve our problem. SOLAR....

Really? either I have been misinformed or you have.

You are misinformed. Over years/months, metal ion tainted water my cause a buildup of metal on the electrodes, but it would have very little effect on the cell. The electrodes will have to replaced anyway.

They don't combust the H20, all that would do is make steam. They use elctrolysis. see:

Where did I say they combust H20?

H2O - The Mystery, Art, and Science of Water: The Chemistry of Water: Electrolysis

Better start working on it NOW then, eh?

We have been. NASA has big stake in it(it's vital to space exploration), as well as many private industries messing with it.

The Israelis are building one solar energy plant that will supply 5% of their energy needs. The Danes already get 20% of their energy from wind power. Algae farms can produce 10,000 gallons of ethanol per acre. The solutions are already here. We just have to start using them.

In June 2008, Japanese company Genepax unveiled a car which it claimed runs on water and air,[6] and many news outlets dubbed the vehicle a "water-fuel car".[7] The company says it "cannot [reveal] the core part of this invention,” yet,[8] but it has disclosed that the system uses an onboard energy generator (a "membrane electrode assembly") to extract the hydrogen using a "mechanism which is similar to the method in which hydrogen is produced by a reaction of metal hydride and water".[9] The hydrogen is then used to generate energy to run the car. This has led to speculation that the metal hydride is consumed in the process and is the ultimate source of the car's energy, making the car hydride-, rather than water-fuelled.[10][11][12] The company has said that it has filed for a patent.[13] On June 27th 2008 they released information in English on their website, where the energy source is explained only with the words "Chemical reaction".[14]

Interesting. But will anything come of this?

I seriously doubt it. You hear this stuff all the time, and I assure you, there is always a catch.

This car seems to basically be a normal hydrogen powered car that has a system that allows it to split the hydrogen and oxygen apart and use the hydrogen as fuel.

I assure you, however, there will be a catch.

Forum List

Back