Why do I keep hearing about hybrids that get less milage than my car?

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
I own a saturn SL1 which when running properly gets 39MPH highway and about 28 city.

I keep hearing these hybrids advertised that only get about 33 highway, Whats so great about that?

probably they're SUV's, and thus have much greater passenger room, cargo capacity, and safety

next caller

I own a saturn SL1 which when running properly gets 39MPH highway and about 28 city.

I keep hearing these hybrids advertised that only get about 33 highway, Whats so great about that?
There is nothing great about it, unless you are making money from selling them.
I'm waiting for an electric car.

Again, how hard is it to understand we save nothing by going electric? E;ectric is mostly made by oil products and coal.

But electricity could come from solar power and wind power......very easily.

What if we took the $600 billion dollars a year we spend on foreign oil and invested it in alternative energy?

Oh......wait......I forgot.......we can't do that......there are two former oil men in the White House.

Last edited:

Seriously.. why do you care... kudos on your 39 mph... granted I seriously doubt that...

But electricity could come from solar power and wind power......very easily.

What if we took the $600 billion dollars a year we spend on foreign oil and invested it in alternative energy?

Oh......wait......I forgot.......we can't do that......there are two former oil men in the White House.

Are you mentally deficient? There is no where in this country we could put up enough solar or wind units to generate our needed electric power. Add in even more demand when your dream of 300 million private vehicles go electric and we would be in rolling black outs every day.

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Manual transmission? Exactly how many people use that any more and how many know how to use it right? Further , on the highway, gears would not be changing much at all so why does it matter if it is manual or automatic on the highway?

My XL-7 is manual transmission and I generally get ( when it is tuned up and all fluids right) 20 miles to the gallon city and about 24 on the highway. It is a smallish SUV. Now my daughter drives it and probably gets a bit less mileage out of it cause she barely understands the gear concept.First months of her driving it we had to replace the clutch, and she got a good talking to by the mechanic. She doesn't do that wrong any more.

Are you mentally deficient? There is no where in this country we could put up enough solar or wind units to generate our needed electric power. Add in even more demand when your dream of 300 million private vehicles go electric and we would be in rolling black outs every day.

A whinny retired sargent? Who would have thought it?
Oh, we can't do alternative energy! It's hard!

Bullsh*t!

The Danes already get 20% of their energy from wind power. The Israelis are building ONE solar energy plant that will supply 5% of their energy needs. Are the Danes and the Israelis smarter than us? Are they richer than us? Do they have more resources than us? No. They just have better leadership.

There is a wind corridor that runs from Texas to the Canadian border. There is a solar corridor that runs from Texas to California. Algae farms can grow 10,000 gallons of ethanol per acre. The technology is there. All we need is the leadership.

Again, how hard is it to understand we save nothing by going electric? Electric is mostly made by oil products and coal.
Who said everything should be electric?
Gasoline for vehicles only consumes about 39% of all oil use in the US.

It's a no brainer, there needs to be a combination of alternative fuels used.

Natural gas, nuclear and hydro energy are the main sources of producing electricity.

In Texas, environmentalists are trying to block the expansion of nuclear plants and wind farms but they are losing the fight.

Do you have more wild assumptions? :eusa_whistle:

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Manual transmission? Exactly how many people use that any more and how many know how to use it right? Further , on the highway, gears would not be changing much at all so why does it matter if it is manual or automatic on the highway?

My XL-7 is manual transmission and I generally get ( when it is tuned up and all fluids right) 20 miles to the gallon city and about 24 on the highway. It is a smallish SUV. Now my daughter drives it and probably gets a bit less mileage out of it cause she barely understands the gear concept.First months of her driving it we had to replace the clutch, and she got a good talking to by the mechanic. She doesn't do that wrong any more.
I've driven on the roads once in a manual jeep. Fun, but I sure didn't know what I was doing. Good thing this part of Florida is flat.

Which sedans?

Please explain the huge difference you are getting between 28 and 39...that seems a bit fabulous.

I've been driving a civic hybrid for five years and get 45 mpg average between city and highway.

Which sedans?

Please explain the huge difference you are getting between 28 and 39...that seems a bit fabulous.

I've been driving a civic hybrid for five years and get 45 mpg average between city and highway.

A 11 MPG difference between city and Highway is huge? I didn't think so. Lots of time spent sitting at lights I guess.

They way to use Solar and wind is not with big Power plants but at the end source. As in people having homes which run on Solar and or wind.

Big, rich environmental lobbyists are trying to block electric cars because they are too quiet and pose a threat to the blind. :eek:

Forum List

Back