Janis Joplin

On the other hand, by dying young, she will always remain cool.

As opposed to these geriatric rock stars who are still wheeling themselves out on stage in their 70s and 80s.
Because people that are self destructive are cool? Drug addicts are not cool.

I might be in the minority here, but I don't care. I don't mean to be mean or disrespectful of course, but in my opinion, Janis Joplin sounds like a fork in a garbage disposal and so I have never once understood the hype where she was concerned, and I still don't.

Agree...

Because people that are self destructive are cool? Drug addicts are not cool.
It is more complicated than that.
Drug use in the 60s was treated as "experimentation" and "enlightening"
There was little knowledge at the time of what the long term effects were going to be.
Also - mental illness treatment was downright laughable at the time.
Many people who are artist have mental issues, no idea why, but that is undeniable.
Joplin was a deeply disturbed young woman with a multitude of issues where there was no where to get help but a pill and a bottle.

There was little knowledge at the time of what the long term effects were going to be.
Many people who are artist have mental issues, no idea why, but that is undeniable.
Joplin was a deeply disturbed young woman with a multitude of issues where there was no where to get help but a pill and a bottle.
She decided to take the easy way out.

She decided to take the easy way out.
?
She didn't overdose... you know that right?
She died from blunt head trauma.
Back in that time - officials were, rightfully, very concerned about the drug problem occurring in young Americans. So reporting a star's death as "drug overdose" was what they did.
Janis did indeed take heroin that evening, something she did all too often.
But what killed her was she slipped on a marble floor and hit her head.
The head trauma is listed in the autopsy, but officials wanted to say it was a drug overdose and that is what they did.
Little hard to claim drug overdose when she died moments after walking downstairs to the lobby to get cigarettes...when her body was discovered she still had the cigarettes in her hand and the change in her other hand was scattered across the floor. That is not how someone overdoses. You are not just walking along and suddenly flop to the ground.

George Harrison was the most talented of the foursome.
McCartney would record himself farting if he thought it would sell... all he cared about was bubble gum pop songs for the preteen-early teen audience.
As psycho as Lennon was, he and Harrison wanted to release an album of consequence, something beyond silly little love songs.
Paul would have none of it - and that is exactly why Harrison left and Lennon left with him.
Harrison's post Beatle's work was mostly shit. His vid Got My Mind Set On You would have worked on Sesame Street. Maybe.

Harrison hated McCartney because he was jealous of his talent.

Naw, she remains cool because she died at the height of her popularity. Same with Morrison or Hendrix.

Did you know the Doors continued to tour for decades after Jim Morrison kicked it? Even released more albums. Nobody cared.
I do not care who your heroes are.

Janis Joplin had crippling stage fright. She had to be high to almost comatose to perform.

Forum List

Back