Janis Joplin

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Janis Joplin - one of the members of the "27 club" - huge, promising singers who all died at 27 years old.
In my opinion, she so desperately was in need of direction and better management. She was a lost soul, never grew up - very much still a child in a 20 something body.
Despite the overwhelming bad songs she performed, the potential was always there, and it popped up in massive hits peppered here and there.
Best known for her blazing rendition of "Ball and Chain" at Monterey Pop sealed her place in rock history...

Undoubtedly her shining moment and one of her very best songs. Sends goosebumps right through you. What a tragic time the end of the 60s, with Brian Jones, Janis, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison all dying together so young all with a year of each other all of drug overdoses.
you can also stick Alan Wilson of Canned Heat in with these people....

The 60s had some of the best pop-music.
But Joplin was singing mostly blues songs.
But when she did pop songs, it was great.
Me and Bobby McGee
Piece of My Heart
Mercedes Benz

??
She did... that is just the truth.
She recorded songs that are done in the style of sort of a cross between old timey country and gospel.
Then some sort of an experimental blues- jazz thing.
It is the same as Beatles. The majority of what the Beatles recorded is absolute shit, horrible. Peppered with brilliance.

The 60s had some of the best pop-music.
But Joplin was singing mostly blues songs.
But when she did pop songs, it was great.
Me and Bobby McGee
Piece of My Heart
Mercedes Benz
I always thought a song that displayed the raw power of her voice is one that most people never heard of - "Maybe". Just kills it.

On the other hand, by dying young, she will always remain cool.

As opposed to these geriatric rock stars who are still wheeling themselves out on stage in their 70s and 80s.
Like Dolly Parton in a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader outfit last night?
That's a geriatric I'll take. :)

I might be in the minority here, but I don't care. I don't mean to be mean or disrespectful of course, but in my opinion, Janis Joplin sounds like a fork in a garbage disposal and so I have never once understood the hype where she was concerned, and I still don't.

God bless you and her family always!!!

Holly

Like Dolly Parton in a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader outfit last night?
That's a geriatric I'll take. :)
Just sayin, she was wearing a full body hose suit under it that hides everything.
If you was to see her nude - your impression would be very different.
That, and she is open about the fact she has used plastic surgery for the past 20 years with touch ups still to this day.
She is a great lady, extremally classy and nice. But her appearance is about as real as a 3 dollar bill.

I might be in the minority here, but I don't care. I don't mean to be mean or disrespectful of course, but in my opinion, Janis Joplin sounds like a fork in a garbage disposal and so I have never once understood the hype where she was concerned, and I still don't.

Holly
Bonzi thinks the same, you are not alone.
Her graveley voice is extremally rare for a female, not something anyone is use to hearing from a gal.
But she has serious range and power.
You either get it - or you don't.
Much like Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks... she ranges from super talented singer to "ugh I hate her voice" - depending on who you ask.

On the other hand, by dying young, she will always remain cool.

As opposed to these geriatric rock stars who are still wheeling themselves out on stage in their 70s and 80s.
I find the 60 years together of the Rolling Stones eminently commendable.
THe Beatles may have though all you need is love but they could barely get within spitting distance of each other.
George, the meanest spiritual person of rockdom. John , the psycho that even his son couldn't really take. And Paul and John , buddies until it required something.

All hail, Rolling Stones

Holly
That's OK. You don't have to like her music. Many do.

I find the 60 years together of the Rolling Stones eminently commendable.
THe Beatles may have though all you need is love but they could barely get within spitting distance of each other.
George, the meanest spiritual person of rockdom. John , the psycho that even his son couldn't really take. And Paul and John , buddies until it required something.

All hail, Rolling Stones
George Harrison was the most talented of the foursome.
McCartney would record himself farting if he thought it would sell... all he cared about was bubble gum pop songs for the preteen-early teen audience.
As psycho as Lennon was, he and Harrison wanted to release an album of consequence, something beyond silly little love songs.
Paul would have none of it - and that is exactly why Harrison left and Lennon left with him.

Undoubtedly her shining moment and one of her very best songs. Sends goosebumps right through you. What a tragic time the end of the 60s, with Brian Jones, Janis, Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison all dying together so young all with a year of each other all of drug overdoses.
Brian Jones drowned in his pool.

Forum List

Back