Isn't It Time To End This 70yr Bombing Campaign?

"There has been no let up in these bombings."
Really? Again, whom did we bomb from 1976 on?

We were still at War with much of the World in 1976. Check out the Korean area at that time. We were still engaged in bloody battles with the North. There were other areas with incidents as well. You should also consider the amount of military support we were giving to various nations in various conflicts from then till now. War has never ended for us. It has just gone on and on and on...
More evasion.
With whom were we "at war" with? Please cite a congressional resolution. We had troops stationed in Korea, and have had since the war there. We had troops stationed in China for nearly 100 years. Were we at war with China all during that time? We have troops in the Philippines for that long. Were we bombing the Philippines? Maybe someone forgot to tell the newspapers?
Which "various nations in various conflicts" are you talking about?

You'll need to start talking darkly about the military-industrial complex and neo-cons in order to maintain your eligibility for a wookie suit.

Agreed: this tread is really become The LibocalypseNow Soapbox, without much substance.

[unsubscribe]

Yea you brainiacs just go on taking your shoes off at the Airport and pretending that this never-ending War has had no effect on your Freedom & Liberty here at home. Got news for ya,it's only going to get worse. Enjoy.

Keep bombing. So long as there is evil in the world, so shall we need to keep bombing it. The End.

Yea you brainiacs just go on taking your shoes off at the Airport and pretending that this never-ending War has had no effect on your Freedom & Liberty here at home. Got news for ya,it's only going to get worse. Enjoy.

If radical Islam would stop trying to blow up infidels, we could stop bombing them.

I think it's fair to say that we have been bombing nations uninterrupted for the last 70yrs. We have continued this round-the-clock bombing campaign straight through several Republican and Democrat Presidents,going back to WWII. Isn't it time to start considering putting an end to this seemingly never-ending bombing campaign? Is aggressive Foreign Interventionism/Globalism really working for us? Personally i feel this foreign policy has done far more harm than good. I really do feel that the "World's Referee" and "World's Policeman" time should now pass. Enough is enough. That's just my opinion though. I would be very interested in hearing what others think about this issue. Thanks.

Why in the WORLD don't you just come out and SAY you're an isolationist, and be done with it?

Bush ran the first time on not being for nation building and for the US NOT being the police force of the world.
Strange but true.

Bush ran the first time on not being for nation building and for the US NOT being the police force of the world.
Strange but true.

There was that little thing that happened on 9/11 that might have changed the basic calculus. And FWIW he did avoid entagnlements that didnt further American policy, like Darfur.
But I agree with Samson that constant repeating of discredited ideas does not validate them. There is no "permanent war". Sorry.

Why not?

You gotta admit, its worked pretty well, and I'd say we've been doing it since 1849 (Mexican-American War)
It has?

The USA is the most hated nation on earth, is bankrupt and produces nothing anymore besides weapons and coffins for its dead in one worthless shithole after another.

Care to try again?

Most hated nation on earth?

Lemme ask 20 million Mexicans.

Bankrupt? Really? You mean you're going to go into the backyard tomorrow and burn a pile of dollars?

weapons? You mean like a Ford Mustang GTO?

Coffins for its dead? You mean coffins for VOLUNTEERS.

Care to try again?

dead people can't have formerly been volunteers or volunteers can't die? not seeing the connection

I'm inclined to agree in part with your sentiments OP. Those senselessly advocating interventionist policies in today's changing international environment are dinosaurs, relics of an old age that will quickly be swept under the rug.

Just like Metternich's prudence allowed him to foresee the changing nature of international politics and forestall Prussia's demise for nearly a century, it will take wise leadership to understand that interventionist policies need to be measured and backed up with legitimacy. Wanton invasions like our recent Iraq debacle not only diminishes America's legitimacy and thereby soft power, but also wastes resources and time we could be using developing R&D for dual military-civilian technologies that have helped fuel strong economic growth in the past (e.g., the internet, Hummer, etc).

In addition, playing the police role automatically makes you the number one target for zealots and radicals. With globalization threatening to undermine state power in some regions, it's important that we recognize it also has the potential to strengthen state power. Through multilateral policies and institutions that we institute and control like NATO, we can encourage greater participation in "world policing", reducing the need for us to continue wasting resources while still maintaining our hegemonic role.

I'm inclined to agree, these continued bombing campaigns, at one point served purposes. Now they have gotten rather mindless, and we are missing out on key emerging ways to manage the globe. For instance, chinese investment in Africa is something that you hear very little about as we are preoccupied in wars, but as American investment abroad falters due to funding and conflicts with foreign governments, rising powers will use this opportunity to expand economically, politically and militarily at our expense. It's about time you hard core imperialists chose between ideology or practicality. I tend to err or pragmatism's side.

"There is no permanent War?" I'll still have to disagree on that assessment. This country only knows War at this point. Most people in America today can't remember a time when we weren't bombing someone. So when will this War end? Will we always be at War? More people really should read Orwell's 1984. It's amazing how much closer we are moving to his fiction becoming reality. I guess some will go on living the fantasy that this endless bombing campaign has no effect on them here at home. Just check out our Airports to see what's coming for all aspects of life in future America. End this never-ending War and we might just preserve what little Freedom & Liberty we have left.

"There is no permanent War?" I'll still have to disagree on that assessment. This country only knows War at this point. Most people in America today can't remember a time when we weren't bombing someone. So when will this War end? Will we always be at War? More people really should read Orwell's 1984. It's amazing how much closer we are moving to his fiction becoming reality. I guess some will go on living the fantasy that this endless bombing campaign has no effect on them here at home. Just check out our Airports to see what's coming for all aspects of life in future America. End this never-ending War and we might just preserve what little Freedom & Liberty we have left.

You keep repeating this fantasy in the face of contrary evidence. Sorry, I'm leaving this echo chamber.

You keep repeating this fantasy in the face of contrary evidence. Sorry, I'm leaving this echo chamber.

I'm curious, what is this contrary evidence? People continue to cite the "rising standard of living", but that's not a result of wars. In fact, some of our greatest economic growth came during isolationist periods, so what is your contrary evidence exactly?

Being in constant war does nothing if you're not accomplishing anything. Fighting constant wars to distract people from other issues is not a good idea.

I would like to know what IR ideology you can adopt with the mindset of wanting to be in constant war. It's certainly not realism or neorealism even though I often see people trying to pass off their desires for wanton destruction as a realist tenet.

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. Seriously, we've been in war constantly for decades...not to protect ourselves...but to further our international agenda.

If you can't admit that...you're part of the problem not part of the solution.:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back